Bob and Rob's Gen 2 Aluminum Rear Knuckle and Brake Upgrade. How-To with Pics

BXX

BrakeSwap076.jpg

I'm sure its bent fine, it just looks wonky, otherwise, nice work.

not try to start shit but wtf does wonky mean?:bonk:

Edited by jtwmechanic

• 7 months later...

Bumping, as for reasons unbeknownst to mankind, this thread is not a sticky.

Actually its not only that, I have more to add here as I just did this swap this on the GTP and aligned it this morning. Bob, perhaps you want to add some of this info to the OP for reference to people?

First off the later hub and bearings work perfectly fine with the ABS on our cars. It does not matter if the donor car is 2nd gen or 3rd gen, or had Delphi 7 or Bosch 5.3 ABS on it, the bearing will work. The ABS connector goes in and the factory Delco 6 works fine. In fact if you want ABS, you cannot reuse the original hubs as they're mounted 90 degrees different on a first gen and the ABS connector hits the knuckle. They are fine to use if you are ditching the craptastic Delco 6. The only reason I kept it is so the ABS light isn't gleaming at me.

This pushed my rear track width out considerably. I think 2nd and 3rd gens are wider and it shows. To me, this is a good thing. My B4U kit is now filled out and looks killer. I need some spacers to do the same to the front! However with my car as low as it is, it did cause rubbing issues until I raised the coilovers a bit and it went away. The back is now 1/4" higher than the front, but you can't tell.

I used 3rd gen GP pieces to keep the integral parking brake, however it does not work with our rear cables. I can't get cable where it needs to go as the angle is different on the caliper and the caliper mounts forward of the hub. I'm pretty sure it will work if I grab some cables from a 3rd gen GP from the yard. I'll update whenever I get around to it.

Probably the best part of this swap is that I upgraded the stock lateral links to the adjustable tubular ones. Bob didn't mention this as he already had the tubular ones, but I'm saying it now. These are just so much better than the scrap metal pieces on our cars that if you're doing this swap, don't even think about leaving them there. Grab the links with the rest of the stuff and put them on while you're at it. It does involve a bit of extra work however. For some idiotic reason the GM decided to put the inside bolt on the front lateral link in from the front so that it cannot be removed without either dropping the gas tank or lowering the rear subframe (which dropping the subframe requires lowering the exhaust). I went with the subframe (I wasn't gonna drop a full gas tank by myself on my back) I went ahead and took it out completely as it gave me a chance to hit it with a freshcoat of black rustoleum. Needless to say when everything back together, this bolt went in the way it would've been done if GM had a freakin clue.

I think that's all I wanted to add. I was kind of disappionted that assembly didn't seem too much lighter than the stock one. I meant to grab a digital scale and weigh everything precisely but forgot about it. Oh well, I guess any tiny bit helps when you're talking unsprung weight. The 3rd gen caliper felt lighter too, but the rotor was heavier as our stock ones factory are composite and very light.

Oh, and Bob, how did the pad sizes compare on your swap? The other thing that disappointed me was the brake pad on the 3rd gen had a bit less surface area than the 94+ one. For braking power I should still be coming out way ahead as I put on some Cryostop slotted rotors, EBC redstuff pads, and goodridge lines, but I was surprised our lighter cars had a bigger pad and was wondering how the 2nd gen pad compared.

One last thing, never again will I use regular flaring tools. I mean I literally can't; I'm spoiled. I borrowed the shop's hydraulic one and OMG it's amazing. Couple of pumps on the handle and wahlah! Perfect ISO flare! So much easier, especially on the car where elsewise you're trying to hold a flaring tool in spot with no room trying to crank down on it and get a half-ass flare that won't leak.

Edited by jman093

• 6 months later...
not sure how i missed this. I'll chalk this up as something else I want to look into doing.

Fo Sho. Only problem remains is the parking brake. I used 3G knuckles and brakes and still need to procure 3G cables and see if they will work with it.