88 is back after throwing spider gear.

Garrett Powered

Drove the 88 last night for the first time in a few months. It finally got back together at my buddy's shop with a rebuilt 282 I pulled out from a parts car 89 GP I bought for $200. I had my manual tranny guy put a bearing kit and LSD setup in it. he said the inside looked mint and the pinion gears looked great. Took a while to get the right Phantom Grip LSD that fit the diff and had to grind of 1/16" off each pinion gear before it fit. but it was worth it just like Adam said.

there is a list of new parts on it.

spec stage 2 clutch

aluminum flywheel built by Fidanza

Phantom Grip Limited slip differential locker. the extreme unit with the red springs.

poly control arm bushings

33mm sway bar poly bushings

the phantom grip unit along with the aluminum flywheel give the car a whole new attitude.takes off outta the hole like a muscle car with posi!

feels like 10-15 more HP.

do you need to three foot it the way the TG insert does?

not sure what three foot is but I don't think so. it pulls to the right a little like it needs aligned.

what is TG anyway?

you should really like the stage 2 clutch. i love mine.

its way easier to drive now. I don't need the stage 3 yet unless I ever get that GT2871R on it.

I gotta align it and get some new tires now so I can test out the handling on this car with the poly front end. its good to be back driving a decent car now at least. still cant get whats wrong with the WB on the TGP. and now the 88 is infected with the idle searching the TGP's been doing. I think they threw off my O2 free air calibration when they couldn't get the alarm to turn off and pushed the red button thinking it was for the alarm. I need a new viper keyfob because it got ruined by the time I got the car shipped here. somehow the hood got dented, keyfob ruined, broken tranny, and covered in gravel, sandy gravel all over the engine bay and subframe. thanks Dependable Auto Shipping(DAS)!!!

not sure what three foot is but I don't think so. it pulls to the right a little like it needs aligned.

what is TG anyway?

three-footing meaning you have to powerbrake it to get it to function... superdave's 3500 Z24 did that IIRC with the TG (Team Green LSD insert)

oh that sucks. I think it works all the time pretty well for me. i can even hear the tire rubbing on the ground while going around a corner sharply. and I know its working because of the way the car takes off. of course I am comparing it to how it was when the trans was blown and probably had tons of friction holding it back. but the car just shoots forward and pushes you back in the seat.

so much for the break in period.:laugh: But seriously, I gotta take it easy on the poor thing until next week after I change out the fluid, then I will drop the hammer and finish off these tires.:twisted: then I will know for sure if its good.

It's an extreme unit which they claim is beefy as hell so I have a feeling I might have better luck with it. it has these red springs in it. they are different than earlier models by the same company. not sure how it compares to TG or if its even in the same ballpark.

I think there was an air bubble in the coolant when they did the idle learn. In fact I remember him saying he bled it after doing the idle learn.

either way, the idle is great now. and I free aired the WB just in case.

I think they are $350. I paid $299 and got the wrong part at first. then they rush delivered me an extreme unit for no extra cost.

they also said they would give me a discount on one for a 4t60. the tgp auto has a factory lsd in it which I have never seen so I dont know for sure, but they have one for an upgrade. same one they put in a cadillac 1992 model or something. I think the widow is one tire fire though with worn out lsd and I have a few 4t60 HD's. I might get one one day. also might look into a group buy for us to upgrade auto or manuals. I am sure we would get discounts.

• 2 weeks later...

I drew a number 11 on the parking lot at cash & carry today.

nice and dark on both lines. no wheel hop. nice smoke cloud. 245 z-rated tires just screaming. no need to 3 foot anything.

yep it works. and I need new tires now.:)

that copper wire is from when it ate the VSS. that shit was wound up in everything. one of the pinion gears was gone in the diff. and you can see some teeth were chewed and chipped on the 3rd carnage pic. not to mention the holes blown out of the case. it was worse looking in person but all I had at the time was my cell phone. big ass teeth busted off.

I am really wishing I would have gone with that lightweight flywheel now!

its pretty nice. everything is nice about this car right now. just stuck on my strut tower brace I got a year ago. those poly bushings are awesome. and I want to lower this car and birchtrax it now. Its so much fun to drive.

it rained super hard today and I was driving down the highway and hit a lake of water and hydroplaned for a good 5 seconds at 60 mph. was completely blinded by water on the windshield and not sure if I was going to wreck, but once the wipers cleared it I was still going perfectly straight in my lane.

the LSD makes it handle good in the rain. that was proof enough for me.

I came damn close to giving up because when they sent me the wrong part I just wanted to give up and do it later. but that would have been the worst mistake ever. If it wasn't for Wade and Adam both telling me to send it back and get the right part I would have half the car I do now.

would this LSD work in a 284?

not sure. the way to check is take the diff out and measure the diameter of the pin, then the space between the pinion gears, then the space between the axles.

then you call phantom grip and Janice checks to see if she has something close. maybe there is already a part number for that application but still have the measurements. the pin should fit loosely in the hole. and material may have to be removed from the pinion gears before it fits between them.