94GPGTP's Neverending TGP Repair Thread

94GPGTP

Thanks for the compliments guys. They in fact do look amazing in person. They are the Gen 2 links sandblast stripped and PC'd red. It took me awhile to find these at the yard. I had requirement to

meet. Alot of the ones were rusted to he'll and back or bent. I got the non adjustable ones off a

impala and crazy enough the impy didn't have the tubular trailing arms. I thought they all got them? And I got the adjustables from 2 different GP's. One GP had one brand new from the stealership, it still had the tag on it. :) the other adjustable one came off a minimal rusted suspension GP. I didn't want to get these and they would be all rusted up and after sandblasting they would have pitting from all the rust. They turned out real nice. I bought a complete set of links from a member off clubgp and going to do the same as these for my other GP's.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 94GPGTP

• RobertISaar

• Jonpro03

• GOT2B GM

Well within the last 2 days here i have gotten all the links installed and tightened down.. I need to unbolt the struts and install the coilovers and while the coilovers get bolted down im going to go ahead and install the RSTB and weld it in.. I ran into the same problem over and over again.. The bolts rusting into the sleeves of the rubber bushings.. So after airhammering the rusted bolts out and replacing them with new i have finally gotten the links installed..

Gen 2 vs. Gen 1

IMG_0768.jpg

IMG_0767.jpg

Old Gen 1 Links removed.. Showing the crappy condition they are in..

IMG_0770.jpg

Finished Installing the Links

IMG_0771.jpg

IMG_0772.jpg

Yesterdays Work.. Installed drivers side

IMG_0764.jpg

Passengers side

IMG_0763.jpg

Those look great!

Now for those of us who are unsure (Me...) what specifically made you go with gen 2 links? In the first post you mentioned stiffening the rear end, but is there more to it?

gives you a slightly wider rear stance, and allows toe adjustability out back. Now you need to make the rest of the underside look that nice.

Those look so good! Is it possible to run the 2nd gen bars with the stock monoleaf? Also how much width will it add to your rear track?

Those 2G bars with a monoleaf is iffy.. I know its like 1/2" to 3/4" longer and with that said the leaf could slip off.. So id say no.. But i am going to customize some for my DD and cut them to shorten them and reweld them so they are factory length for a 1G and able to be used on a 1G with leafs..

If anything birchmount springs could custom make one a bit wider for it. the flat part on the steel springs are different too and I don't think it would slip off even if it was that much wider.

Please tell me you didnt really drop the gas tank to put those lateral links in???

You only have to remove the rear subframe which is a cake walk.

For those wanting to know there isnt much to it, IIRC it took me less than a half an hour to completely rip apart everything off Venoms old CS. That included removing the lateral links outta the subframe.

And you should really think about doing the Gen 2 aluminum rear knuckle and brake swap.

Please tell me you didnt really drop the gas tank to put those lateral links in???

You only have to remove the rear subframe which is a cake walk.

For those wanting to know there isnt much to it, IIRC it took me less than a half an hour to completely rip apart everything off Venoms old CS. That included removing the lateral links outta the subframe.

And you should really think about doing the Gen 2 aluminum rear knuckle and brake swap.

No didnt pull the tank.. I dropped one side of the subframe at a time..

Wednesday the car goes in for an alignment.. I surely hope they can get them rear wheels straight.. I set them somewhat close when putting the struts on and there wasnt much adjustment left.. fingers crossed..

• 4 weeks later...

Got Me Some Headlight Covers.....:dance:

photo-1.jpg

Im now going to install my (newer in better shape) TGP bumper with the VALANCE i picked up in the Junkyard sometime soon.. I am really busy lately and keep buying more carz... Im picking up ANOTHER TGP tomorrow.. 1990, Red, 108,000, Leather, Sunroof, No CD... I need to change the turbo out badly with the one i got from the 89 pace car in the junkyard because im constantly burning oil now..

• 1 month later...

So i gotta put in a new motor.. I have a spare TGP engine but i gotta prep it before i get it in the car.. The new engine in the car now, the rings never set.. I initally had a problem of oil coming out of the breather but now its buring oil.. I thought the seal in the turbo was shot so i changed it out today and still buring oil.. So i got fed up with it beat the shit out of it and parked it.. It's going to be parked until i get the new motor ready to go in.. I just got me a 95 T/A so i dont know when ill get this up and running again.. I plan on getting a few new gaskets for the new engine and a new flywheel along with a new rearmain and pop it in the car.. DEPENDING on time and money i may rering the new old motor thats coming out of the car since it is all new..

why dont you have a job? i just dont know when im gunna touch it again.. plus as of right now my mind and money is not on this car anymore.. neglected...