RWD V-8 WBODY?

fabsj82

HAS ANYONE EVER THOUGHT ABOUT PUTTING A GRAND PRIX BODY ON A S-10 FRAME? THEY SHARE ALMOST THE SAME WHEEL BASE AND IT WOULD BE A HELL OF A SLEEPER!!

Buy a rusty ass S10. Put in LS1.

Sleeper. Less work, less cost.

and use less caps lockb

Thanks for the input BOB, but if I wanted a V-8 S-10 I'd build one.

What kind of responses do you expect to get? Some of us have been working on and modding these cars for YEARS.

The fact that it was your first post and that it was in all caps doesn't do much for your perceived intelligence.

So yes, it has been considered, and the general consensus was that if you wanted a RWD car, you'd buy an f-body, not convert a 15-20 year old grocery getter. If you want a sleeper, drop an L67 in and call it a day.

HAS ANYONE EVER THOUGHT ABOUT PUTTING A GRAND PRIX BODY ON A S-10 FRAME? THEY SHARE ALMOST THE SAME WHEEL BASE AND IT WOULD BE A HELL OF A SLEEPER!!

Why are you screaming?

CapsLock.jpg

First of all, some of you should stop & think before you post a reply. If typing in all caps bothers you, simply exit the post. Nobody is forcing you to read anything here.

There are a lot of ways to go about a rwd swap. That link that Luke posted above belongs to a guy on the board here. His username is "soccrplayrgtp." Besides his cardomain page, he also had a pretty length post here about his RWD swap. You can use the search function and type in his screenname there to find his posts or go to the member list above, find his username, click on it, then click the "view lasts posts" link at the bottom of his profile to go through his old posts if interested.

Here's a link to another RWD/LS1 swap that someone was performing on a Lumina Z34 on the LS1Forums: http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71662

Besides those, there are probably a good 20+ more that I've seen with rwd over the years. I believe some of them probably were using S-10 or similar frames.

First of all, some of you should stop & think before you post a reply. If typing in all caps bothers you, simply exit the post. Nobody is forcing you to read anything here.

There are a lot of ways to go about a rwd swap. That link that Luke posted above belongs to a guy on the board here. His username is "soccrplayrgtp." Besides his cardomain page, he also had a pretty length post here about his RWD swap. You can use the search function and type in his screenname there to find his posts or go to the member list above, find his username, click on it, then click the "view lasts posts" link at the bottom of his profile to go through his old posts if interested.

Here's a link to another RWD/LS1 swap that someone was performing on a Lumina Z34 on the LS1Forums: http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71662

Besides those, there are probably a good 20+ more that I've seen with rwd over the years. I believe some of them probably were using S-10 or similar frames.

That Lumina Z34 LS1 is incredible! I read the whole thread, very impressive

That Lumina Z34 LS1 is incredible! I read the whole thread, very impressive

Yeah it is incredible, and the guy has a lot of talent. Definitely not a w-body anymore though.

I stand somewhat corrected. I apologize, I have this stereotype with people who type like that. I play a lot of online games such as Team Fortress 2 and Counter Strike, and generally the people who type like that are 13 year old kids who end up getting their asses handed to them and "QQragequit." That's why I posted my facepalm. I don't know a single instance where typing something you're trying to communicate to someone in all caps online does not make you look like an idiot. If you know of an example, by all means share it.

That being said, I'll buy the guy a few beers if he ends up making a rwd grand prix, even a redneck hacked one.

Mine will not be using an s-10 frame and it is much easier than doing all of that work to put the frame under a car.

I too was thinking there has got to be a better way. I'm sure you could adapt the drivetrain to work on a w-body and reinforce your car with a roll cage for less work than dropping the body onto an S10 frame.

Or.... just mount the engine on a modified cradle, make some trans mounts, fab up some rear end mounts.

Exactly. When i bought the TGP from Pat he had welded in an IRS from a V-8 T-bird. With some bracing it will be in and done. No messing with a frame.

Damn, that's amazing work. The sheer magnitude of what had to be done to pull that off is overwhelming.

It's too bad he shortened the body rather than lengthening the F-body platform though. IMO, it looks stupid shortened.

Probably the hardest part of a RWD conversion is following through. I can imagine starting a project like this, cutting stuff up, then it starts getting overwhelming in terms of time and cost, losing motivation, letting it sit in the garage for 10+yrs with no progress, then selling/scrapping everything.

It's too bad he shortened the body rather than lengthening the F-body platform though. IMO, it looks stupid shortened.

just think of it as a RWD beretta with Z34 body kit!

Beretta may be smaller, but at least it's proportionate. A shortened W-body looks like something designed by Fisher Price.

Beretta may be smaller, but at least it's proportionate. A shortened W-body looks like something designed by Fisher Price.

WIN!