crazy hard shift 1st to 2nd

boymeetspavement

From 1st to 2nd this thing is shifting super hard, I mean the only harder shift Ive seen was on a worked 5.0 mustang. It just started randomly doing this, there are no weird noises nor is there an issue with any of the other shifts..just 1st to 2nd..should I be concerned?

Im happy with the feel of it, Im just wondering if its bad for the tranny or if somethings gonna go.

yea its a 4 speed, I know that much. lol I had a 3t40 in my cutlass ciera and that thing was bullet proof, I hope to god this 4 speed is as tough.

My Cutlass did this (95 CSS 4t60-e)... first hard shifts, then slipping and hard mixed... then after a couple months of me neglecting it, tranny broke, and I spent $1200 to have it fixed. Of course, it is now working like a dream. So be careful... have a tranny place check it out for you.

Define crazy hard. My 96 Lumina shifts fine 85% of the time but when the fluid gets nice and hot the 1>2 shift gets kinda clunky. It has gotten better since I changed the filter and replace half the fluid. Its been doing it ever since I got the car and that was 15k ago. Even when the tranny fluid is hot it will only shift kinda clunky/hard if you accelerate mildly. I also read on here that a noticeable 1>2 shift is common/normal for these trans.

i love the 1>2 shift in my car, and i have once or twice manually shifted it, and when you do that it bites second and takes off. its fun LOL. but back on topic sorry.

My 94 Cutlass did this about a week after a fluid/filter swap and flush, it hit once or twice so hard it chirped the tires, another week went by and the thing grenaded itself.

lol man dont tell me that. I spoke with a mechanic and he suggested trying an additive and going from there. He also warned me that a fluid change could do more harm than good.

don't flush, but you could do a pan drop only and see what happens.

Why?? You have no real proof not to do a flush... I do them all the damn time on all kinds of vehicles including high mileage and burnt fluid...

If you flush the car and it granades shortly after, it was gonna granade soon anyway...

A flush WILL NOT and CAN NOT damage a good transmission...

Im fuckin sick of hearing 'dont flush it, the trans will just fail' from people with NO real experience

I will say that it might be a bad transmission modulator, or worse.

x2... check the vacuum lines going to the modulator, they dry out and crack often.

It would be x3 John :lol: I already said vacuum modulator...

And the vacuum lines do suck.. Even slight cracking can cause incorrect vacuum to it and it wont work 100% correctly

I will say that it might be a bad transmission modulator, or worse.

x2... check the vacuum lines going to the modulator, they dry out and crack often.

It would be x3 John :lol: I already said vacuum modulator...

And the vacuum lines do suck.. Even slight cracking can cause incorrect vacuum to it and it wont work 100% correctly

Ken originally said modulator... so I think you got cock-blocked there buddy.

thanks guys Ill take a look at the lines, Ive been just easing off the throttle slightly before shifting out of 1st and that eases the shifting to the point of it feeling normal. So far its been ok...see how it ends up.

Mine was actually worse at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle than at WOT. It was usually smooth at WOT.

thats the strange thing, it only shifts hard when at 1/2 throttle and higher. I can make it shift nicely if I lay off the throttle.

What other people said. There should be a vacuum hose going down into the transmission, which as far as I could tell affected the proper function of the TCC. I made sure those were always in good condition and connected.

I had the same problem with my 95 GP w/ 4T60 E when it was new, felt like the B&M shift kit I installed on my 80 GP's Turbo 350. Culprit was one of the check balls in the valve body that created the problem. The dealer said the trans would have self destructed if I continued to drive it the way it was. It would chirp the tires going into second. Best thing to do for the meantime is to let off the gas completely before it shifts till you can get it fixed. Not easy as the side pan needs to be removed. Valve body needs to be checked closely for warpage but could be some trash making it stick or a film build up.

Don't start thinking that you have an instant shift kit, far from it, the trans will fail.