how to change a gear selector light

jake91

okay well i know a bulb is burnt out in gear selector because only park lights up and rnd321 dont so how do i open that up to change the bulb, and it is floor shift. also what type of bulb is it

Not positive on the disassembly, but it shouldn't be too difficult, beside prying trim off and whatnot. But he last one I replaced was in my Monte, and it looked like a 194, but was half the size *edit* found it; it's a 73. Should be the same or similar for your cutty

Here, found yours. A quick google search: PC161

http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProducts/AutomotiveLighting/LampReplacementGuide/AutoLRG-Results.htm

It also make it easier if you remove the shifter knob, then you can take it apart and clean it, just don't do like me and clean the printed side of the clear plastic, I damn near took all the letters of with very little pressure. Mine also had 2 of the 4 screws that hold the clear piece in there broke. There are 4 screws once you get it apart which have springs on them, don't lose the springs. Mine was horribly nasty when I pulled it apart, good time to clean it. Also check the wires to the buld, my bulb wasn't blown, but the wires were bad in one spot, so I repaired them. They have to bend every time you move the shifter, so they tend to break.

The shifter knob has a staple looking thing in the front of it, get a small screwdriver, or butter knife and pop it out. then the knob will lift right off.

okay thanks. but now im almost scared to mess with it :lol: how do i remove the shifter and just to check you mean just the shift knob right?

To make the shifter knob removal easier, pull it down to 1st, and you'll see the U-shaped staple stuck into the front of it which pries easily out with a flathead screwdriver or equivalent. Then, like others mentioned, just pull the screws