Top Speed Governors......

BIGBULS

94 saturn (sohc auto) - 105 - hard cut

91 regal GS - 119 - no cut, just out of steam.

94 GTP - 115 - hard cut.

06 scion xB (auto)- 125 - no cut, just out of steam.

03 Intrepid R/T - 131 - hard cut.

05 Scion xB (stick) - 117 - hard cut - redine in 5th, hahah

02 explorer AWD V-6 - 105 - hard cut

08 4Runner V6 4x4 in 2Hi - 115 - soft cut.

07 Trailblazer SS AWD - 155 - soft cut

06 GTO - 167 - soft cut

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BIGBULS

• Night Fury

• Addicted to eaton

• ismellrealbad

2007 Cobalt SS/SC Stage II- 153mph: soft... it hit right around 150 and just, well, felt 'surgy'. Hard to explain, as if the engine was willing but the computer has having a hissy.

where i live, we have the luxury of miles and miles of nothing and a somewhat smooth road in the middle of nowhere.

what was odd is that the Cobalt SS/SC is listed as limited to 140mph... that's some speedo error.

If I ever find a totally desereted and smooth straight stretch I'll tell you wheter my '99 GAGT has a soft or hard cut. :)

I've only had it to 100.

115+ on up to the governor takes a while. You'll need a full 2 miles + braking.

• 2 weeks later...

My dad's Cadillac Seville gets up to 111 quickly but then abruptly cuts off the fuel and notifies me of a "top speed fuel cut-off". I read that it's due to the tire ratings.

I also have mashed the gas on my Reatta and it struggles to reach 100 mph, even though they were electronically limited to 125 mph.

Lastly, I've also pushed the Maxima and it seems to be pretty quick, assuming the speedo is accurate. IF the speedo is correct, the Maxima shifts into its 4th Overdrive gear at 115 mph, topping out at about 130, 5 mph past the 125 speedo limit.

For instance:

97 Olds Cultlass, 107mph hard cut in "D" or "3".

107!?

I got to 100-105 with mine and backed off! Just a little longer and I could've possibly hit mine!? Aw man!

For instance:

97 Olds Cultlass, 107mph hard cut in "D" or "3".

107!?

I got to 100-105 with mine and backed off! Just a little longer and I could've possibly hit mine!? Aw man!

The one I was refering to was an Olds Cutlass..........as in the N Body sedan, NOT a Cutlass SUPREME like yours. :wink:

That being said, I'll bet yours is right about there anyway........it seems that most 96+ 3100 cars cut in the 106-110mph range.

1993 Ford Tempo GL 2 door 3 spd ATX - 107mph (GPS) Speedo only went to 85, 107 was all it had.

1993 Toyota Pickup 2.4 22RE - 5 Speed - Had it to 110 and gave up on it, 3 people in a tiny single cab truck, if I was going to kill myself, I didn't want to kill them too.

1993 Buick Regal GS 2 Door - Had it to 105 and then I stopped accelerating, not enough straight road.

Guest GrandPrixlover1

Back in March(during spring break)...MY friend Zach and I were cruising along the Oklahoma Turnpike(I-44) heading in towards Tulsa from the border, and with the type of road it is, which is flat, straight two lane road with hardly any traffic on it, and it has barriers on each side. My 96 Grand Prix went to about 105 to 107 mph, and then bogged down alittle. It was kind of rough at first, but we tried again and it softened up a bit. It was fun though....you just gotta love those flat, straight, open roads of the Great PLains.

We had made a trip out there so I could look at going to the University of Oklahoma(GO SOONERS), in Norman Ok. On the way back was fun to. I gotta also say that traveling over 100 mph, after twenty minutes shaved at least 30 to 45 minutes off our 13.5 hour trip. :burnout: :burnout: :burnout:

Yeah..I try not to speed too much on I-44 ever since my dad got a $160 ticket for going six(!) over. The Highway Patrol guys here in OK are kinda douches. But Broken Arrow is greatly understaffed and has maybe six cops out at a time. On the BA expressway (SH51) I get all my high speed thrills. Well..pretty much anywhere in BA. We'll go 70-80 just as a usual out where the rich people live! It's just too bad the roads end just as you get to the suburbs..haha

one of ours speedo must be off....LOL

and way to copy my AV!

i am pretty sure mine is off by about three or so, atleast, that is what the cop said when i was going 70, and he said iwas doing 73.

i just wish my av was as cool as yours!

• 3 years later...
97 gtp pulls to 126 and just stops pulling. But if i put it down into 3 it hits a wall at 110

I have an 02 GTP and it will pull to 126, but if you stay there long enough, it will hit the fuel cut.

So our 1988 Pace car tribute (1994 CS Vert platform) is only good for just over 100MPH? Can the governor thing be impeached or fired or something? I reach speeds of 100 all the time, but seriously, it only gets a tiny bit better than that? I've only pushed it all the way once, and it started jerking or spitting, I wasn't paying attention to the speedo at all. "How am I suppose to pace any races if she only does bearly 100mph?"

94-95 3.4 or 93-95 3100 PCM?

all 93-95 3100 W body PCM calibrations have the same 108MPH limiter.

all 94-95 3.4 PCM calibrations have the same 118MPH limiter.

of course, they can be disabled via a modified calibration, but no "simple" way of doing it properly.

So our 1988 Pace car tribute (1994 CS Vert platform) is only good for just over 100MPH? Can the governor thing be impeached or fired or something? I reach speeds of 100 all the time, but seriously, it only gets a tiny bit better than that? I've only pushed it all the way once, and it started jerking or spitting, I wasn't paying attention to the speedo at all. "How am I suppose to pace any races if she only does bearly 100mph?"

Remind me to be as far away as possible when you take an '88 W-Body over 100 MPH.