#1 rossg

rossg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 02:49 PM

here is how its done with pics.tools needed
  • torque wrench capable of 24ft lbs
  • fuel line disconnect tool avilable at most autoparts stores.
Posted Image
  • 10 mm socket for 3/8 and 1/4 drive ratchet
  • 3/8 swivel
  • 1/4 ratchet
  • 3/8 ratchet
  • 6 inch extension for 3/8 and 1/4 inch ratchets
  • flat head screwdriver
  • pliers
  • rags
First disconnect the negative battery terminal. Then remove the air cleaner box and the decorative engine cover. Remove the strut support bar. take out the rear spark plug wires.Drain the Radiator in to an appropriate container!!!!!!!remove all electrical connectors, throttle cables, fuel lines and unbolt the egr. remove the 7 bolts on the intake plennum and the hose below the intake the upper plenum should then come off.Posted Imagenext remove all the electrical connections and vacum lines you can see the wireing harness will be able to be removed if done properly.Posted Imageit should look like this when done. Then remove the 12 bolts that hold on the lower intakePosted Image Now lift the lower intake off and clean all the maiting surfaces . It is also a good time to clean out your intake take a few cans of carb cleaner or brake and parts cleaner and a small wire brush and clean it all up it will help air flow. If you want to get crazy now would be a good time to port and polish your intake. here is what it should look like.Posted Image Now simply reverse the procedure to reinstall. you should retorque the intake bolts to 24 foot lbs. Then follow the standard bleeding procedure for refilling your radiator. If done right this is an aprox 3-5 hour job I did mine in less than 3 hours.[/list][/list]
If you feel any of the information i give you is usefull please donate to matcoross@yahoo.com<br />Posted Image

#2 Q-Ball

Q-Ball

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 01:27 AM

Awesome, this should be a sticky.
Jason -DD - 2008 Cadillac SRX4 Sport V8 - 1992 Pontiac Grand Prix SE Not starting - 1992 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 5 Speed Getrag 284 -1992 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP Auto Car domain. All cars http://www.cardomain.com/id/Q-Ball Hers - DD - 2007 Pontiac Torrent AWD Sold - 2000 Chrysler Neon, 1999 Buick Regal GS

#3 slick

slick

Executive Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,684 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 01:47 AM

There is no reason for the fuel line disconnect tool. Pop out the injectors and swing the rail out of your way.
Chris D.- '02 Buick Century- Wife's 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee- Company Car/DD

#4 Addicted To Boost

Addicted To Boost

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,354 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 30 September 2008 - 02:07 AM

Awesome, this should be a sticky.

Agreed.

1989 Pontiac Turbo Grand Prix- LG5 - 4T60HD

2008 Ford Ranger XLT- 2.3 DOHC I-4 - 5MT

2012 Nissan Altima SR coupe- 3.5 V6 - 6MT

#5 ManicMechanic

ManicMechanic

It's a mermaid life for me.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,305 posts
  • LocationAustin, Tx.

Posted 30 September 2008 - 02:41 AM

And you don't really need to drain the coolant much, the miniscule amount that comes out isn't worth it.

Jay

-1989 GMC Sierra Sportside L98 TPI (FOR SALE)

-1995 Oldsmobile Silhouette 3800 TPI

-2001 Pontiac Aztek GT 3400 HO

-2005 Chevrolet Corvette convertible LS2/6 speed

And some in storage...Totaled Syclone; Playboy Pink 1967 Mustang conv...

#6 oldscsc

oldscsc

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,064 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 02:48 AM

Glow hurts my eyes when reading for an extended amount of time.....................................................................................
'01 Silverado W/T, 4.8 / 4L60E / 3.42 / 320k 18" Z71 wheels, black leather Avalanche interior, Magnaflow muffler, Escalade cluster, Pioneer / Alpine sound, tinted tails, leveled, black bowtie, tinted windows, LS exterior conversion

#7 rossg

rossg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 02:32 PM

I like to clean everything so taking out the rail was no big deal I have the tools so I poped it out. When the rail is out of the car you can also clean your injectors and not have it flopping in your way. you dont have to drain the coolant but it just makes things that much easier when you are in there it is nice to have the coolant drop into a drain pan instead of your driveway. I did the glow so people could see what I was writingI actualy took the pics when I put the motor back together it was really dirty before. the pics are in reverse order.
If you feel any of the information i give you is usefull please donate to matcoross@yahoo.com<br />Posted Image

#8 tdvs

tdvs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 03:18 PM

Should definitely be a sticky. I'm big on cleaning stuff too, so taking a few extra things off to clean is a good thing. Makes reassembly neater and cleaner. Plus I like the engine compartment as clean as the rest of the car. If you do your own work, you can never have too many tools. You'll need them sooner or later. Tom

#9 alphagtp

alphagtp

Lurker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 04:32 PM

is not a sticky yet??? I need to do this to mine sometime soon
Posted ImageOUT OF SERVICE OUT OF SERVICE OUT OF SERVICE OUT OF SERVICE OUT OF SERVICE OUT OF SERVICE

#10 pontiac6ksteawd

pontiac6ksteawd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 01:56 AM

Dont forget to replace the Distributor Delete O-Ring while you are there...
Brian - Carpe DiemI dont have to love my president, or any god, to love my country!!More people have died in the name of "God" than in all wars combined thruout history..90 Pontiac ASC McLaren Turbo Grand Prix 124k- SOLD!01 Pontiac Aztek GT VersaTrak 101k - 04 GMC Envoy XUV SLT V8 131kPosted Image

#11 rossg

rossg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 02:51 PM

Dont forget to replace the Distributor Delete O-Ring while you are there...

Thanks actualy called an oil pump drive and in order to change it on a 3.4 you need to remove the rear head. that is an awful lot of work.Posted Image

#12 GP1138

GP1138

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 11,468 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 09:26 PM

THANK YOU for that picture. I have a much better idea of how to go about half-assing my oil-pump drive seal now. :lol:

John C. Wallace 1991 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - LQWIN! - 284 5-speed - Rebirth Soon... SOON....

2005 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP - LS4 - 4T65E-HD - The Bleen Machine

1ph5jZl.jpg

#13 rossg

rossg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 11:39 PM

THANK YOU for that picture. I have a much better idea of how to go about half-assing my oil-pump drive seal now. :lol:

clean it up realy good and put some high temp rtv around it. they were realy easy to change on the 2.8 and 3.1 but i will do my best to never change one again on a 3.4.

#14 9lumina6

9lumina6

Lurker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,922 posts
  • LocationWebster NY

Posted 20 October 2008 - 05:22 AM

Gotta do my o-ring seal BADLY.....My LIM, UIM, and valve cover gaskets are brand new.......but that shaft is spewen oil...........didnt really realize how horribly bad its gotten until today when i was vacuming the car out....and noticed that when driving.... the oil that leaks down blows back onto the floorboard......and somehow, the carpet area behind my driver seat is SOAKED in oil.......and i have never spilled oil inside that car........if i carry new or used oil........it goes in the trunk.

clean it up realy good and put some high temp rtv around it. they were realy easy to change on the 2.8 and 3.1 but i will do my best to never change one again on a 3.4.

Someone told me that if u pull the shaft out an inch or so........clean it w/ brake parts cleaner... and take an old o-ring seal from a 9007 light bulb....and put it around the shaft....put some silicone around it... set it back down.....and let dry, it should take care of it........the person that told me this did it to his old 92 Z-34 he used to have........and it never leaked a drop after that. I need to do that to mine.
-2000 GTP -1990 TGP -1997 Bonneville SSE(I?) -2012 Sierra Z71 (5.3) -1998 Chevy K1500 Z71 (5.7)

#15 GP1138

GP1138

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 11,468 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 07:39 PM

I will probably do all my gaskets and spark plugs before winter comes and I will probably do this then.

John C. Wallace 1991 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - LQWIN! - 284 5-speed - Rebirth Soon... SOON....

2005 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP - LS4 - 4T65E-HD - The Bleen Machine

1ph5jZl.jpg

#16 webxfx

webxfx

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 02:07 AM

Great picture - that's going to help me fix the oil leak... not sure if I want to do it now or wait till after winter

#17 Mr. Dead Thread

Mr. Dead Thread

Go4DaMo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,314 posts
  • LocationAkron, OH

Posted 21 October 2009 - 06:42 PM

I'm going to attempt this ASAP to fix my Z34. :neutral: Thanks for the info!

1993 Lumina Z34 | Getragged - 77k |

1998 Chevrolet K2500 EC LB I 5.7 Manual - 180k I

2014 Toyota Camry I Baby Hauler I

#18 rossg

rossg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 07:00 PM

I'm going to attempt this ASAP to fix my Z34. :neutral: Thanks for the info!

glad to be of help

#19 Mr. Dead Thread

Mr. Dead Thread

Go4DaMo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,314 posts
  • LocationAkron, OH

Posted 14 March 2010 - 09:44 PM

Just wanted to note: there are two nuts to remove on the upper plentum, in addition to the 7 bolts.

1993 Lumina Z34 | Getragged - 77k |

1998 Chevrolet K2500 EC LB I 5.7 Manual - 180k I

2014 Toyota Camry I Baby Hauler I

#20 GTP091

GTP091

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
  • LocationKelowna BC.

Posted 15 March 2010 - 07:49 AM

Great picture - that's going to help me fix the oil leak... not sure if I want to do it now or wait till after winter

Don't wait it isn't worth tearing up your lifters and causing other damage if it gets to low. I did the brake cleaner, brown o-ring, RTV fix on my engine and it's still dry 5 years later.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users