• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 88red4cyl

• Brian P

• AWeb80

• Addicted to eaton

while you wait for your new parts, try the 'flip mod', basically rotating the square rubber bushing 90 degree's. there a how-to here somewhere. its really easy though.

:EDIT:

http://www.w-body.com/forum/index.php?topic=68851.0

Well, I did that about 10 minutes ago, and I still have the clunk... Now there's no movement at the radiator support, but there's still movement at the bolt that goes through the dogbone at the motor...

how tight did you make those bolts?

Fairly tight... I tightened them until I couldn't get them any tighter with my socket and wrench.....

EDIT- Wait, are you talking about the bolt that goes through the dogbone at the engine side or something else? If you're talking about something else, then disregard my statement above. I was talking about those bolts..

Does your engine/tranny bang into gear and sometimes when upshifting and downshifting?

Yes.

Do me a favor and i know it sounds outta the blue, check your vacuum line to the modulator on the trans. On my 92 lumina i had a clunk like you would think the engine wanted to pull out of the car itself. I found the rubber hose connecting the line to the modulator was open. replaced and the clunk went away. Check the line to make sure your getting vacuum and no leaks.

Does your engine/tranny bang into gear and sometimes when upshifting and downshifting?

Yes.

Do me a favor and i know it sounds outta the blue, check your vacuum line to the modulator on the trans. On my 92 lumina i had a clunk like you would think the engine wanted to pull out of the car itself. I found the rubber hose connecting the line to the modulator was open. replaced and the clunk went away. Check the line to make sure your getting vacuum and no leaks.

I'll check it tomorrow... What would that cause? Just a sound, or would the engine move? I can definitely feel something in the pedals like the engine is rocking back and hitting the firewall or something...

Yes.

I'll check it tomorrow... What would that cause? Just a sound, or would the engine move? I can definitely feel something in the pedals like the engine is rocking back and hitting the firewall or something...

NO it would cause the clunk because of the loss of the vacuum, mine clunked so bad i thought my subframe bolts were loose.

yah I meant them

Was I not supposed to tighten them that much?

I haven't gotten a chance to check that vacuum line yet LuminaPower... It's been raining all day, but if it quits for a while I'll go check on it..

that should be fine, I don't have the torque spec available but as long as you're 100% sure ALL nuts and bolts for the upper and lower mounts have been tightened! You did torque down the nuts that hold the lower mount to the subframe? I'm not sure what else to suggest without being there to see it.

that should be fine, I don't have the torque spec available but as long as you're 100% sure ALL nuts and bolts for the upper and lower mounts have been tightened! You did torque down the nuts that hold the lower mount to the subframe? I'm not sure what else to suggest without being there to see it.

They were definitely tightened... I don't have a torque wrench, but I tightened them all until they were good and tight... Is is possible that the subframe is loose, or would that cause a different type of symptom?

it's unlikely, if that were the case the steering would wander among other things, but it won't hurt to do a once-over on everything.

All right, if the weather cooperates I can hopefully do that tomorrow... One thing I did notice though, is when I installed my lower mount, it didn't seem 100% level.. The back mounting stud didn't seem to stick through as far as the one on the driver side, like it was a couple threads less.. Could that be an issue? I didn't think much of it since it was better for a few days, but maybe it's an issue now? Someone on here told me that they didn't even bolt down a couple of the studs on the lower mount because they couldn't get it lined up or something on their 2.8, and they drove it like that, so I assumed I'd be ok...

Where are the subframe bolts btw?

it's unlikely, if that were the case the steering would wander among other things, but it won't hurt to do a once-over on everything.

All right, if the weather cooperates I can hopefully do that tomorrow... One thing I did notice though, is when I installed my lower mount, it didn't seem 100% level.. The back mounting stud didn't seem to stick through as far as the one on the driver side, like it was a couple threads less.. Could that be an issue? I didn't think much of it since it was better for a few days, but maybe it's an issue now? Someone on here told me that they didn't even bolt down a couple of the studs on the lower mount because they couldn't get it lined up or something on their 2.8, and they drove it like that, so I assumed I'd be ok...

At each corner of the subframe, you'll see the bolts surrounded by big washers.

I would make sure that one stud did get all the way thru. Sometimes when one stud isn't sitting in just right, I'll use the nut to draw it in. It has to be pretty tight, I think it's rated for 45 lb/ft.

At each corner of the subframe, you'll see the bolts surrounded by big washers.

I would make sure that one stud did get all the way thru. Sometimes when one stud isn't sitting in just right, I'll use the nut to draw it in. It has to be pretty tight, I think it's rated for 45 lb/ft.

It's definitely through, it just seems like it's a thread or two shorter than the other one.. It would barely come through the hole at all, and I used the nut to bring the stud down like you said, it just didn't seem quite right to me... I tightened until I absolutely could not tighten anymore, but I will recheck them... I'll also double check the subframe bolts tomorrow too...

I figure this noise has to be mount related since it went away when I installed the new lower mount... Pretty soon they are all going to be replaced since my new mounts came in the mail today (except the lower)... If that doesn't fix it, then I don't know what the hell is going on.. I thought it was a cv at first, but I don't think it would make noise when I accelerate or brake...

OH! I thought you replaced the other upper mounts already.

No, I just did the flip mod for the upper mounts that got posted on page 4... That got rid of the movement on the upper mounts, but the engine is still moving.. The uppers were defininetely bad though because I could easily move the mounting hole piece of rubber with my hand, and I cannot move it at all with the new mounts that I got yesterday...

Another thing I was wondering as I read through this morning, is that the noise came back gradually when I replaced the lower mount.. It was completely gone, then it started coming back when I'd shift. Then when I would accelerate, and now it's back to doing it when I brake or hit a big bump too..

If it ever quits raining then I will do that Adam.. I don't *see* any movement at either mount, but I guess that doesn't mean the bolts didn't loosen up on the lower mount.. If it did loosen up, it's probably the ones that go into the block since they were so hard to get to... I know I got the ones through the subframe tight..

So I'm gonna try and tackle this tomorrow... The plan is to change the tranny mount and retighten the lower engine mount.. When I change the tranny mount, what's the correct way to jack up the tranny? Do I need to undo the dogbone? And where is the correct spot to jack the tranny from?

you might as well undo the upper dogbones. I usually lift it up by the pan as close to the mount as possible, using a BIG piece of wood on the jack pad.

Okay.. I am assuming that the tranny pan isn't as flimsy as it looks then...