3.4 exhaust

moto_ty

ok, well i am currently running with no cat, stock resonators, and cheap on sale $20 mufflers on my '93 dohc. big mistake, sounds really raspy and bad. but it sounds good at an idle, and wide open, like 4k rpm's and up. i wanna know what some of you 3.4 guys have done, and how it sounds, anybody have any good ideas? im not looking to spend too much money considering the car has 265k miles. it's pretty loud and i like it loud, but the rasp from 1200-3500 rpm's is horrible.

also any sound clips?

thanks.

I personally like the raspy sound on W-Body's......never really heard it on a 3.4DOHC....i love it on the 3800's......my 95 Z-34 has a Walker catback on it w. the res. ......its quiet...but u can still hear a little rasp to it if yer cruisen and give it enuf gas to accelerate but not downshift.....the only thing that bugs me about mine is that my CAT (the stock one w. 158K on it) must have a baffle loose in it and it raddles like a mo-fo when you take off from a stop.

First video explains all, lol

Ignore the shitty sounding stock system, I should of made that video when the car was warmed up rather than stone cold.

th_NewExhaust.jpg

Since then I have swapped out the Magnaflow highflow Cat for a walker Cat, The magnaflows couldn't pass emissions testing here for shit...

The closest I have to a sound clip for that is a run at the track. (once again, ignore the shitty time, I was having a terrible day due to a severely warped rotor, you can hear how warped with 8 seconds left in the video)

th_CIMG3428.jpg

I have a bit of rasp between 2000 and 2500rpm. SO in the next month or 2 the whole system is getting dropped. The 12" resonator will be swapped out for an 18"+ unit, and the y-pipe is going to be swapped out for a better quality one. (the y-pipe I have now directs all the exhaust out one side, until you cover that side up, then it comes out the other side, I don't know how this would effect the sound)

Jamie

I personally like the raspy sound on W-Body's......never really heard it on a 3.4DOHC....i love it on the 3800's......my 95 Z-34 has a Walker catback on it w. the res. ......its quiet...but u can still hear a little rasp to it if yer cruisen and give it enuf gas to accelerate but not downshift.....the only thing that bugs me about mine is that my CAT (the stock one w. 158K on it) must have a baffle loose in it and it raddles like a mo-fo when you take off from a stop.

Could be your cat loose inside and ready to go, mine did that on 2 of my Luminas, both cats were fried inside.

here is mine.

th_MVI_2622.jpg

never mind the smoke... leaking valve seal.... the car has 184,000 miles on her and is the fastest monte with an NA dohc!

i334031899_47337_6.jpg

here is my track run to give an idea of how she sounds when she is gooing!

th_MVI_2022.jpg

Could be your cat loose inside and ready to go, mine did that on 2 of my Luminas, both cats were fried inside.

mine did that from the time I bought it til two and a half years later when I finally had it replaced. basically a loud annoying rattle from about 2k to 3k or so.

mine did that from the time I bought it til two and a half years later when I finally had it replaced. basically a loud annoying rattle from about 2k to 3k or so.

:werd:

I'm running a 2.5inch Magnaflow downpipe back exhaust. No cat at all. I have two glasspacks, one 18inch and one 10inch before the dual Magnaflows, I have absolutely no rasp and i love the tone.

http://s83.photobucket.com/albums/j314/kyles92z34/?action=view&current=MVI_2405.flv

This is it at the dragstrip, what you first hear is the intake.

th_MyCars15.jpg

I originally only had the one 10inch glasspack. When i removed the cat i was worried about rasp so i replaced the cat with the 18inch glasspack. Sounds just like it did with the cat, maybe just a tick deeper but it might just be me.

So the way it's setup.

I have an 18inch glasspack where the cat would be. Right next to the right rear wheel, where my exhaust splits is where i have the 10inch glasspack, about 4 feet of pipe from the 1st cat.

I really need to get a good soundclip of my exhaust, it sounds awesome IMO.

Chris, when I drove your car, I was raving to Ken about your exhaust. It sounds mean from inside the car.

Chris, when I drove your car, I was raving to Ken about your exhaust. It sounds mean from inside the car.

You should post the video of your old Z's exhaust. :high5:

You should post the video of your old Z's exhaust. :high5:

Shit'chyeah!

Now that sounds fucking sweet.

God how could Crimson actually do that to his exhaust willingly.

And why the hell do you people rev the shit out of your car when it's stone ass cold?