Shift cable (5 speed) found part #'s

w-bodys_are_the_best

I've searched the forum, and searched gmpartsdirect.com and rockauto. I know there is 2 cables on the manual trans cars. My 91 International goes into gear just fine, but moves really hard, like one of the cable is rusty inside the sleeve or something. It takes quite a bit of effort to move it into gear, it shifts smooth, but the cable is tight. Are the cables still available from GM? I couldn't find anything listed anywhere. Which one would probably be bad? Do I need to replace both? I haven't worked on the 91 in awhile, but these are the last part I should need, I asked the guy that had the 92 5 speed cutlass in WI that I got all the other stuff from if he could send me those, but he called back and said after checking he must have pinched them pulling the motor out. I'm hoping they're still available from GM but doubting they are. I assume 282 cables are different, aren't they? Does anyone have some good 284 cables they want to sell, or know where they an get them from a yard?

yes the 282 cables are different. yes the 282 cables are all gone, both of them discontinued.

the 284 cables, the "select" cable is still available thats the smaller one that controls side-side action the "shift" cable it gone, discontinued.

:bash: :cussing: :gr_guns: :gr_mad: :smile24: DAMMIT!! my side to side is just fine It's the shift cable, I moved the shift linkage by hand on the trans and it seems on the big shift cable, the "slop/play" moves easily, I was hoping the bracket needed lube. It moves great in the car side to side, but moves forward and back so hard I can't even tell where neutral is unless I'm able to move it sideways and not hit a gate. Dammit!!!

i don't know what these cables actually look like and I will say that push/pull cables are not hard to come by. And you could probably rig up something that would work smooth given you have the right fittings and the length

I'm gonna call the local dealer, I was going to today, but fell asleep (I work 3rd shift). I asked him before for something that was discontinued and he had this company that he calls that buys up older stuff thats discontinued, they might just have one or at least he'll have the part #'s. If I can't track one down, I'll try and clean and lube it, or take it to a shop and see if I can get one made.

I just got back from the GM dealer here in town. He found that the select cable is available, and there are 2 designs for the shift cable, for 91 anyways. The first design (part #: 10111584) has a hard plastic grommet on the end and is still available! The 2nd design (part #: 10192247) has a rubber grommet on the end is discontinued. I went and looked at mine and it has the hard plastic grommet. The one that is available lists at $196 he said he couuld get it cheaper yet, but this is what gmpartsdirect came up with:

GM PART # 10111584

CATEGORY: All

PACK QTY: 1

CORE CHARGE: $0.00

GM LIST: $196.82

OUR PRICE: $116.68

There's a place in CA (I used this shop) called Push-pull (website: www.push-pull.com) that can custom fab cables - send in your existing one and they can duplicate it.

I wish there were aftermarket cables for these trannies - there were way more 282's made (N-body, J-body, P-body/Fiero, early W-body '88 to '90) plus the 284's. Such a dumb move by GM to discontinue a vital part.

Cable goes and a perfectly good car isn't usable anymore :mad:

i talked to the guy in wisconsin and he is going to send me the cable for $10 plus shipping. Turns out his select cable was the broken one.

Such a dumb move by GM to discontinue a vital part.

well, I'd imagine they're probably different between the car-lines.

I wish there were aftermarket cables for these trannies - there were way more 282's made (N-body, J-body, P-body/Fiero, early W-body '88 to '90) plus the 284's. Such a dumb move by GM to discontinue a vital part.

Don't forget A bodies...Ciera, 6000 and Celebrity could all have 282s.