I hate plastic. (New Pictures! 01/08 - Page 12)

xtremerevolution

I got in my car today and looked around for the x'th time since I bought it back when I was 15 (I'm now 22). I bought the car with 67,000 miles, and I now have nearly 177,000 miles.

Having driven this w-body for 110,000 miles, I decided I was sick of the plastic. The only thing I hate more than plastic in my car is lots of plastic in my car. So I concluded that since I'm the only one driving this car (since anyone I ever drive around is in the Bonneville), I took my toolbox and sat in the back of the car and went to town on the interior.

I hate plastic. A lot. Especially cheap plastic.

But now its not so bad, because I have no rear seats, and no rear plastic side panels, and no rear seat belts, and no rear deck board. Just metal. And carpet.

I like carpet. It feels warm and fuzzy. So I want carpet in my car now. Lots of carpet. Everywhere. And fun lights. And maybe a disco ball.

:biggrin:

So when looking back there, I also realized there's a bunch of pointless metal. So I'm going to go to down with my dremel tomorrow and get rid of some more metal so I have a clear path into the trunk to mount my amp board so it faces into the inside of the car (I like my amps, they have pretty blue lights). Of course I won't be stupid about it. They're just tack welded metal plates used to hold the rear seats and seat belts; not vital to the car's structural integrity.

But I also wanted to know if you guys had any recommendation as far as insulation goes. I need some pad-type insulation like the stuff that was stuck to the back of the plastic panels inside the car to cover the entire interior with before covering it with carpet. This is mainly because now I hear too much road noise. Anyone know where I can find that stuff and how expensive it is?

Pics to come soon. This will be fun.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• xtremerevolution

• slick

• CSI_MuNkY

• AWeb80

April fools again?

You guys think I'm kidding? LOL.

This is not an april fool's joke.

I uh.... pics or it didn't happen!!!!

Oh you'll get your photos real soon.

Hilarious! I want to see pics. Did you really take everything out of the back of your car?!? :willynilly: :wink:

Yep. I took EVERYTHING out of the back, save for the rear speakers and brake lamp assembly. Every damn thing is GONE. Its awesome.

Man I need to post some pics fast. Just give me a bit of time and you'll get them.

Meanwhile, I still need a recommendation on some very light sound insulation.

No matter what though, that car will be unbearibly loud on the interior, especially at highway speeds.

I had the interior of the Z34 out for a day, minus drivers seat, door panels, and dashboard, and I couldn't stand it.

No matter what though, that car will be unbearibly loud on the interior, especially at highway speeds.

I had the interior of the Z34 out for a day, minus drivers seat, door panels, and dashboard, and I couldn't stand it.

Yeah I know what you mean. Luckily though, you really only hear it in the back because the front of the car is still intact. I've also discovered that most of the road noise comes from around the trunk area anyway. If I can get some sound insulation and just get 2 or 3 layers thick of that, I'm sure I can dampen a lot of the road noise.

have you thought of gluing carpet over the plastic panels? Or even using padded headliner material? Just going over your first post again.

Thing is, rolling carpet over the plastic panels still keeps the weight of the plastic panels in the car. Granted, they don't weigh that much, but what's the point in keeping them if all they do is take up space (quite a bit of it too) and weigh the car down? I didn't notice the slightest bit of increased road noise when removing the side plastic panels; only when removing the rear seats. That was the biggest killer, since that allowed road noise from the trunk to come into the cabin.

have you thought of gluing carpet over the plastic panels? Or even using padded headliner material? Just going over your first post again.

Thing is, rolling carpet over the plastic panels still keeps the weight of the plastic panels in the car. Granted, they don't weigh that much, but what's the point in keeping them if all they do is take up space (quite a bit of it too) and weigh the car down? I didn't notice the slightest bit of increased road noise when removing the side plastic panels; only when removing the rear seats. That was the biggest killer, since that allowed road noise from the trunk to come into the cabin.

Depends on many things. If you don't mind the unfinished look, never have passengers back there, etc then why not. I wouldn't do it for the weight savings, since the loss would be negligible.

Depends on many things. If you don't mind the unfinished look, never have passengers back there, etc then why not. I wouldn't do it for the weight savings, since the loss would be negligible.

Well that's the main thing. I don't ever have passengers back there since I now use the Bonneville for anything other than going to work. I also don't mind the unfinished look, and the road noise is becoming less of a problem now that I have my window open when its warm. Plus the blasting music drowns it out too. I still want to cover it all up though and have the amps facing the inside of the car.

Stripping the interior isn't going to make a whole lot of difference in weight savings on a w-body. :thinking:

I don't know about that. I'm pretty sure I pulled at least 80 pounds out of there.

I know taking out the spare and jack alone makes a difference. Figured that out when taking the Lumina down the track. 17.7 in "full street trim" and 17.4 with the spare/jack and shit out.

Depends on the interior too... Leather is heavier than cloth, if the foam under it had moisture in it then that would certainly weigh things down too. Other than that I can't figure out where you get 80lb from, unless maybe that includes the spare tire & jack.

I drop about .3 - .5 seconds by pulling my subs and spare tire & jack.

Jamie