Stereo wire colors- For those of you who cut off your plugs

slick

This is for the normal GM plug, usually found in 88+ GM vehicles. This doesn't apply to the GM 32 pin, but I will post that info tomorrow. These wire colors are pretty much universal through the GM vehicles.

BE SURE TO TEST YOUR WIRES. W-BODY.COM NOR I ARE RESPONSIBLE IF YOU FRY SOMETHING.

Orange = 12v Constant/Battery

Yellow = 12v Switched/ACC

Black = Ground

Gray = dimmer ground

Brown = Parking lights

Tan = Left front +

Gray = Left front -

Lt. Green = Right front +

Dk. Green = Right front -

Brown = Left rear +

Yellow = Left rear -

Dk. Blue = Right rear +

Lt. Blue = Right rear -

If you have the Monsoon or Bose system, you will need to tap into the amp turn on lead. The harness's that you buy do not have these leads, so you will need to tap behind the plug. Generally, the wire colors for the amp turn on lead are Pink or Dark Green. You can test with an inline fuse holder and wire. Connect one end to the amp turn on lead on your aftermarket deck (99% of the time blue or blue/white), and strip back a bit of the Pink or Green wire, and connect this end to it. If you hear sound, your in luck. No sound, keep checking. But, be sure to use the inline fuse holder. I generally use a 5 amp fuse for testing purposes, and replace with a 10 amp fuse once I have found the correct wire. Heres a picture for an example:

fusehold.jpg

• 1 month later...

for the dimmer ground and the parking lights:

the dimmer i just have to ground

the parking lights to a positive

i also have a pink wire under there you know what that one is for?

the dimmer i just have to ground

the parking lights to a positive

the wire colors for the amp turn on lead are Pink or Dark Green. You can test with an inline fuse holder and wire.

Though it may not always be the case, you need to test. They could be other data wires as well(SWC's, etc...).

ok sry these were qts i forgot the ?

the dimmer i just have to ground ?

the parking lights to a positive?

Again, it's up to you to test. If for some reason your electrical system is screwed, it could be the opposite.

Anyways, why cut the connector off anyways. Causes more trouble than what it's worth.

the dimmer i just have to ground ?

the parking lights to a positive?

Again, it's up to you to test. If for some reason your electrical system is screwed, it could be the opposite.

• 1 month later...

i basically need to cut my plug off because no one here has the damn harness i need

ive got a 1989 grand prix with the performance sound, not sure if its monsoon or bose, but its the performance sound for sure

and no one has the harness to fit

apparently there is a scosche one to fit but i can only find it on walmart.com and they dont ship to canada :(

• 9 months later...

Good sticky, but what about those with Bose/Monsoon that want to bypass the factory amplification without a bypass harness?

Is there Red/Yellow/Black in the Bose/Monsoon harness to use with an aftermarket deck? Reason I'm asking is if I want to use my aftermarket unit, I probably don't want to use the shitty factory amplifier to give the unmatched signal to the speakers (since this is what the Bose/Monsoon harness allows you to do).

Kef

The plug behind the radio is exactly the same, but there may be a pin in a normally empty location that is the amplifier turn on lead. Generally, it is a green or pink.

The colors are 99.9999% the same. GM keeps pretty universal in there wire colors.

• 7 months later...

Orange = 12v Constant/Battery

Yellow = 12v Switched/ACC

Black = Ground

Gray = dimmer ground

Brown = Parking lights

In my Lumina it has two brown wires to subsitute the grey and brown wires. They are brown, and brown w/ white tracer.

I'd assume the brown is park lights and brown w/ white is the ground though?

• 4 months later...
  • 4 years later...

I know it's been 4 years since this thread was updated but maybe someone can help me?

1995 Oldsmobile 88 and I can't ID these wires. I have 3 yellow wires and 3 dark green wires, no pink wire. I didn't have any luck finding a wiring harness that fit, and stupidly cut the stock one before IDing any wires. As you can guess, now I can't just throw the stock head unit back in. Can someone walk me through this?

• 2 months later...

HEY!!! DID U FIGURE THIS OUT? I HAVE A 94 LUMINA AND MY DASH ONLY LIGHTS WHEN THE RADIO IS TURNED ON AND ITS DIM :think: I LOOKED AT THE WIRES AND I SEE THE BROWN WIRE AND THE BROWN W/ WHITE I WAS WONDERING IF THAT HAD SOMETHING TO DO WITH IT?