Swaybar question (with pics)

PCGUY112887

OK so latelly my addco bar has been making a lot of noise. It looks like it's slipping out of the outer bushings (I have the Energy Suspension outer bushings I dunno why their lettin the bar slide) and the bar seems to be wacking part of my wheel well making noise.

I noticed even MORE noise today, so I look under there and I find this... the bar is sitting right on the bracket for the brake line.... how in the HELL does this bar move so much? I hate thing thing yet I love it when it work right...

This is the revised bar BTW.

[attachment deleted by admin] Removed to free up storage space.

The revised bar, comes VERY close to that bracket for the brake line, unlike the 1st design. Also, check to see if its hitting the inner fender well, might not be a problem on yours ( I duno if you lowered your car or not, thats where it seems to be more of an issue )

Make sure all your connections are tight, and those energy suspension bushings, are they poly? With the brackets fully tightened to the struts, there really should be no movement at all.

if thats the case, do you still have the bushings that come with the addco bar? Id use those then, because thats what Im using and they do hold it pretty damn tight.

I can give them a shot, however only if they can fit in the energy suspension bushing bracket, since none of the brackets addco sent me come close to fitting.

You have to make the holes a tad bigger, and pinch the bracket a little to make them fit. But once they fit, they are tighter than hell. You might not wanna go through that for those brackets to fit, but its WELL worth it.

basiicaly what I did, was drill out the holes a little bigger, elongate them, and I had to pinch the bracket inwards. After several tries and test fitting, I was able to get it on the studs far enough that I could use the nuts to bring the bracket in the rest of the way. It still wasnt easy, but it did the trick. When you pinch the bracket it will be very hard to get it over the bushing. So hard that I doubt youll be able to do it by hand. But if you can get the bracket on the studs and get the nuts going, then your golden.

I had problems w/ the first bar moving so I made these...

the black thing is a block i made at work...it clamps to the bar w/ 6 bolts....they are still on there....

100_0522.jpg

100_0534.jpg

100_0840.jpg

I then put the revised bar on and kept them on there...I also rigged up the inner hangers to clamp nice and tight.

100_0835.jpg

100_0835.jpg

those inner hangers I made those at work too.....

YOu can see here where I moved teh brake line body mount.....and torched the inner fender to make more room

100_0602.jpg

100_0590.jpg

100_0589.jpg

I dont know why everyone was/is having problems with the first bar moving. Only problem Ive had with it is it rubbing the inner fenderwells and the brake lines. 1 of the 2 have been fixed. Aweb, looks like you deff went overboard on doing that :lol: but I bet it works..

Aweb, looks like you deff went overboard on doing that :lol: but I bet it works..

Like a charm.....I;ve spent the equivalent of days under that car...everything is perfect ....so far.

Aweb, looks like you deff went overboard on doing that :lol: but I bet it works..

Like a charm.....I;ve spent the equivalent of days under that car...everything is perfect ....so far.

yeah I spend a while under mine, only to find out that the sway bar was banging over every bump :lol:

But question, does your brakeline rub at all when the car is on the ground? Is it tight or anything? Im kinda thinking if I can move mine to a better spot. Even though its not bad where it is.

I have no issues w/ clearance anywhere....

i've got some clunking some where...but is is in the trunk or on the back deck...it is driving me crazy

Everything is tight underneath too.

Anyone have any ideas of what I could put on my bar to keep it from sliding from side to side?

Maybe these greasable bushings are letting it slide with all of the grease in them...

I gotta do something, the bar keeps banging so bad I don't like to drive my car.

You dont need greaseable bushings on a sway bar. The bar isnt suppose to move and the grease on the bushings is just helping it do what you dont want it to do.

humm I was told specifically before that I should get greasable bushings.

Maybe I will swap them out for the ones that came with the bar.

Take a look at the stock sway bars. They are NOT greaseable. They dont need to be because the sway bars arnt suppose to move. But ya go with the bushings that came with the bar. Thats what Im using and they work great.

the stock ones arent' greaseable because they are rubber...rubber doesn't squeak like poly does...and the bar does move...it pivots in the outter bushings over bumps.

the stock ones arent' greaseable because they are rubber...rubber doesn't squeak like poly does...and the bar does move...it pivots in the outter bushings over bumps.

True, as do the fronts. But the way my rear bar is right now. I can jack up one side of the car, and the coilovers will still be seated. The bar does move yes, but the less movement you can get from it, the better.

Any other ideas for solutions?

I rather not try to use no grease and have em squeek like mad and have to get under there and redo things.