Anyway to adjust shift points?

91GPSTE

I don't know if every 'w' with 3.1 and 4 speed does this but when I accelerate with pedal half way down or so to the floor, the car doesn't want to shift unless I release the throttle slightly. If I floor it, the car will just keep revving up and not shifting until I let the pedal off a bit. Feels like I am driving a manual. Is this common to all 'w's or is it just mine? I've had it ever since I owned this car and considered it normal but it's driving me nuts because I am driving down the road, want to pass someone so I floor it and it will accelerate to a point and then just hang. Is there a way to adjust the shift points so this doesn't happen or configure the PCM so it shifts or do I have an internal tranny problem?

If I drive normally without putting pressure on the drivetrain, it will shift no problem but with moderate to heavy acceleration, it blows.

What do you mean "accelerate to a point and then just hang"? The rest you described is how mine acts, rebuilt about 2 years ago. And, the shift points are not controlled by the ECM so you can't do anything about that. However, on the TV cable you can mess with the adjuster on that. Search around and you might find something, I know its been talked about before.

There's no way to adjust the shift points with a 440T4. You can try adjusting the TV indent cable a little. I remember people used to do some mods to those, I don't remember what for though.

With my old GP, If I matted the pedal, 9 times out of 10 it wouldn't do anything, and then it'd finally bang into gear. It's usually a sign your transmission is on it's way out.

What do you mean "accelerate to a point and then just hang"?

I mean it will accelerate to a certain speed and then the engine would just rev up but the tranny won't shift on it's own. I can floor the gas but the car won't accelerate any further until I let go of it and it shifts to another gear.

Will a shift kit possibly improve this? It feels like the car is gutless. When I floor it, I want the car to go without any hesitation instead of revving up to the limiter in first gear until I release the pedal and let it shift.

that may be so :D, but a trans in good working condition will shift like it's supposed to at WOT

Knowing 'w' and GM, I wouldn't be surprised if that was how they were designed. :lol:

my trans sorta does the same...u punch and itthe revs just go high and higher and yes for me it does shift.no slipping it just goes and shifts at super high revs thats all.even for passing it shifts at super high revs.

ADJUST YOUR TV CABLE!!! It is very easy to do and will PROBABLY solve your problems. I had the same problem with my GP, it would hang onto each gear until it almost hit the rev limiter- I almost had to let off the gas for it to shift. Take a long screwdriver, and push downward on the square black button that is in between your intake manifold and your firewall (kinda hard to see, but you will find it). Push the button down, and floor the gas pedal (ENGINE OFF!! :eek: ) You will hear a few clicks, that is normal- it is the TV cable adjusting. By doing this, it will force your tranny to shift earlier. By doing this, my GP tranny shifts at 5,275 RPM's MAX, even at WOT. Doing this adjustment may very well save your tranny.

Good luck. :thumb:

is ther any way someone can post a pic of where to put the screwdriver so i can try to do it t my 3100 v6. I think this may solve the prob that i have which is similair to this. And when you insert the screwdriver and push down someone has to floor the gas pedal?

[attachment deleted by admin] Removed to free up storage space.

It is a black square button with a silver mount around the square. It is a good 6" down there- you will definitely need a screwdriver to press the button. Look behind your intake plenum, it is attatched to your TV cable in the middle there: right in the space between the plenum and the firewall. Another way to find the button is to follow the TV cable from where it attatches to your throttle body, follow it from your throttle body, and it will go behind the plenum- you'll see it. It is NOT attatched to the firewall- it is in between the firewall and your intake plenum- look down about 6" you'll see it. And yes it only works for the non-electric trannies, such as the 4T60 and 4T60HD.

Good luck

Okay you push the release with a screwdriver AND simultaneously push the cable back towards the cable mounting bracket. That should work- on some cars, you have to move the cable a little. Try that.

As a reference.......

I seem to recall that WOT shifts for 3.1L MFI cars are supposed to be @ 5400-5600rpm for 1-2 and 5100-5300rpm for 2-3 (I beleive they hang onto 3rd all the way to the governor at 5K rpm or thereabouts).

I kow they seem a little higher than optimal, but given the wide ratio spread the trannies have, it actually works out.

Damn that sucks, but is there anything i can do for my situation or am i screwed

Replace your tranny filter and put some new fluid in there. DON'T PUT ANY ADDITIVES IN! Additives WILL kill your tranny- I have seen it many times.