Transmission Fluid/Filter Change

GP1138

Omg, do you ever stop? Can you not admit that some people know more than you? Someone please lock this.

This convo was completly turned around, I admitted Brian knew more about trannys then I and that this cork gasket talk scared me.

Don't come in with your little ignorant comments.. they're not needed

I don't know how much driving you do, but if it starts to leak later on, just do another pan drop, then change the gasket. Since a pan drop just removes less than 2/3 total fluid anyway, you still technically have some old fluid mixed in from before you serviced it (unless the shop can let you use a flush machine) My old car's tranny fluid still had a brown tint to it until about 3 pan-drops later, about 10k miles apart so I know the "fresh" fluid wasn't being burnt up. It was mixing with the old stuff.

My biggest gripe with those gaskets (and probably lazy mechanics) is it cost my mom a tranny on her '95 Cutlass. A shop serviced her tranny and at some point a leak developed. She didn't see it, kept driving on it, about 7-8 mos later she told me it was shifting weird. She burned it up. Fluid wasn't registering on the dipstick, 1-2 shift took 5+ seconds. Adding fluid didn't help it. She didn't know better, and I never saw the car so I didn't check it, and her fiancee apparantly didn't know HOW to check it (engine needs to be running) but the pan and cork gasket were soaked with fluid. So as long as you keep an eye on your driveway for oil spots and catch it early if it leaks, just take care of it.

Yeah.. they blew a trans a work a while back I guess because someone used the flush machine and they completyl drained the trans of fluid before adding new fluid and the trans pump went dry..

I let mine drain for a good hour while I was cleaning the pan, magnet, and bolts.

I torqued it to proper specs..started it and went thorugh the gears..surprisingly the fluid came back pretty clean!

FWIW: I used a cork gasket on my old car, and it leaked like hell, I ended up wasting around 6QT of tranny fluid, and had to get a rubber gasket from AutoShit.

Thrust washer, eh? Could this be the reason my 1-2 shift is rough? I looked it up, apparently it's meant to prevent movement of moving parts in the transmission... I'm not sure if that's a terrible thing that I have thrust washer in my tranny pan, but let's hope it'll last until I can source a new car... or sell it locally. :lol: :joke:

it is meant to keep two metal parts from running into each other. One is the 2nd clutch housing, the other IIRC is the 2nd gear drum? I have to brush up on it. It may make you feel better to know my old car broke the thrust washer, yet it still lasted to 200+k miles, and at that point it was 3rd gear that was failing :lol:. the 1-2 shift did occasionally feel weird too but it never got worse. You'll probably be fine for a while, provided everything else holds up. The magnet didn't seem to be too bad as well.

it is meant to keep two metal parts from running into each other. One is the 2nd clutch housing, the other IIRC is the 2nd gear drum? I have to brush up on it. It may make you feel better to know my old car broke the thrust washer, yet it still lasted to 200+k miles, and at that point it was 3rd gear that was failing :lol:. the 1-2 shift did occasionally feel weird too but it never got worse. You'll probably be fine for a while, provided everything else holds up. The magnet didn't seem to be too bad as well.

Good. I'll go easier on it, but I do like 3k-5k RPM a whole hell of a lot. I'd miss them if I didn't visit once in a while. :cry:

My experience:

Cork gasket: First time I did tranny filter change on my 88 GP I used cork. I didn't have a torque wrench so I tightened it "girly tight" and it leaked shortly afterwards. Probably with cork is you tighten it too much and it cracks.

Cheap rubber gasket (w/ kit): this is what I used to fix the leak on my 88 GP. It did not leak afterwards. Cheap rubber is gonna be harder to crack than cork, you don't have to be super carefull torqing it.

My 95 GP: The original gasket was/is still in good condition, I've dropped the pan twice. If anyone needs cheap rubber gaskets I have 2 of them in the garage.

If anyone needs cheap rubber gaskets I have 2 of them in the garage.

Might hit you up on that.....

but I do like 3k-5k RPM a whole hell of a lot. I'd miss them if I didn't visit once in a while. :cry:

Me Too.....lol

i love 3-5K.