Transmission Fluid/Filter Change

GP1138

Did it in about an hour along with an oil change at the shop I work at. Some pics, from my new camera phone so they're kinda shitty. Transmission still has a slight kick in the 1-2 shift, but I've come to the conclusion that this is normal 4T60E behaviour.

1020061705a.jpg

Tranny Pan... this picture almost wasn't worth posting...

1020061707.jpg

Brown and all over the place. This was what happened after I pulled the second to last bolt, and I barely got out of the way.

1020061711.jpg

This was what my magnet was covered in.

1020061711a.jpg

The magnet.

1020061711b.jpg

This was in the pan itself... WTF is it???

that looks like some sort of seal..

Please tell me you replaced the gasket too right?

Also when my 1-2 shift was REALLY bad i dropped my pan and cleaned it out and di the fluid/filter/gasket change but I also added LubeGuard which is some amazing stuff..

really smoothed out the tranny!

that looks like some sort of seal..

Also when my 1-2 shift was REALLY bad i dropped my pan and cleaned it out and di the fluid/filter/gasket change but I also added LubeGuard which is some amazing stuff..

really smoothed out the tranny!

No, it was the metal/rubber gasket, and it was in great shape. I cleaned it and the pan and mating surface thoroughly with mineral spirits and put it back on. I've not been leaking that I know of.

Wow, the fluid looks really really brown. I'm gonna take a guess that you hadn't chaged it before since you've owned the car.

Transmission was reported by CarFax as serviced at 124k... I picked the car up at 128k... and this is the first time I did anything to the transmission at 171k.

It is highly recommended to re-use the stock gasket if possible. The aftermarket cork gasket sucks. The factory rubber/metal gasket is the best there is.

It is highly recommended to re-use the stock gasket if possible. The aftermarket cork gasket sucks. The factory rubber/metal gasket is the best there is.

:werd: Unless the stock one is trashed, I would always re-use it. And if you need to replace it, get another rubber one. They are much better than trying to mess around with a cork one.

The kit I used had a rubber gasket, but it came with a notice that specifically said not to use the rubber gasket if the original gasket was a metal/rubber composite.

Cork FTL.

Metal rubber composite as in, metal with rubber dowels around the bolts?

All the kits I've seen come with rubber gaskets.

Some kid at work tried telling me all you need is some RTV and it should be fine. I told him that usually you reuse the gasket, and he told me I was an idiot. I just rolled my eyes and walked away.

Well you work at a retarded plzce for retarded people!

^ Way to be a troll.

:werd: lets try to keep this on topic?

It's a metal gasket with rubbr surrounding the outside. Using the cork gasket is asking for a leak (over time). The metal/rubber gasket IS meant to be reuseable as per GM, and I have done a pan drop about 5 times with no gasket failure. I stress this if someone doesn't know what they're talking about, then to not speak :) Also that piece you found is the THRUST washer, not a seal. You'd probably find more of it if you took apart the old filter. The most common thrust washer to break is the one next to the 2nd clutch housing, though I had the drive sprocket thrust washer fail on my old tranny too. Just go easy on the tranny and you'll be ok for a while. That fluid looked to be rather expired.

^ Way to be a troll.

It's a metal gasket with rubbr surrounding the outside. Using the cork gasket is asking for a leak (over time). The metal/rubber gasket IS meant to be reuseable as per GM, and I have done a pan drop about 5 times with no gasket failure. I stress this if someone doesn't know what they're talking about, then to not speak :) Also that piece you found is the THRUST washer, not a seal. You'd probably find more of it if you took apart the old filter. The most common thrust washer to break is the one next to the 2nd clutch housing, though I had the drive sprocket thrust washer fail on my old tranny too. Just go easy on the tranny and you'll be ok for a while. That fluid looked to be rather expired.

Sorry O great one but seeing as I dropped my trans pan myself about 6 months ago, I do know what I am talking about.

I have had your "forbidden cork gasket" on for 6 months and no sign in leaks. I highly doubt the rubber gasket was still good after 170k. Mine was all torn up at 100k and obviously needed to be replaced.

BTW isn't it reccommended to NOT drop your trans pan after 100k?

^ Way to be a troll.

Sorry O great one but seeing as I dropped my trans pan myself about 6 months ago, I do know what I am talking about.

I have had your "forbidden cork gasket" on for 6 months and no sign in leaks. I highly doubt the rubber gasket was still good after 170k. Mine was all torn up at 100k and obviously needed to be replaced.

BTW isn't it reccommended to NOT drop your trans pan after 100k?

6 months? I do feel bad for you. I've been there. You will be leaking soon enough. I did a trans pan drop on my mom's Olds when I was 15 and I too didn't know any better, that the stock gasket was reusable, and I chucked it. Worst error ever. And I DID torque the pan bolts to spec.

The rubber gasket will almost never tear as long as the pan bolts weren't overtorqued. Even if it did, it probably still would leak less over time than a cork gasket.

If the fluid is original, people claim that changing it LONG after 100k will lead to problems. It probably will, but how long would the tranny last anyway with fluid that worn? My first car I changed the original fluid at 105k (right after purchasing) and the trans lasted to 212k before just slipping 3rd gear. You think it woulda lasted that long on the original fluid?

Then why do tranny shops even carry the crok gasket. I probably should warn them that there is a guy on a forum who knows way more than any trnasmission mechanic does and he says your cork gasket suck and will leak for sure fater 6 months. Hopefully this will stop them from selling these cork gaskets before everyone who has ever used one runs there trnas dry and blows it up!

..get real, sure the rubber gasket is probably better but it's not like the cork gasket is going to leak for sure.

Then why do tranny shops even carry the crok gasket. I probably should warn them that there is a guy on a forum who knows way more than any trnasmission mechanic does and he says your cork gasket suck and will leak for sure fater 6 months. Hopefully this will stop them from selling these cork gaskets before everyone who has ever used one runs there trnas dry and blows it up!

..get real, sure the rubber gasket is probably better but it's not like the cork gasket is going to leak for sure.

BEcause that's what companies make. You'll probably get by leak free for a year, then it will start to seep then a leak will soon follow. Many gasket manufacturers switched to paper which will last a LOT longer. Do you have any experience with it other than one pan drop? Who said I know more about a tranny than a mechanic? You? Grow the fuck up please.

Matt, the metal and rubber gasket is far superior to the cork gasket. Many many places around here, when they drop the pans, try to reuse the stock gasket, if at all possible.

I couldn't tell you how many vehicles I've pulled into my install bay only to leave and have a little tranny fluid left behind. I usually discuss there car with them while I'm doing an install, and they talk about maintenance and all that jazz. Hell... I had a Jeep Wrangler blow it's tranny pan gakset about 5 months ago back in our install bay, and they just had a tranny fluid change done. I crawled under and seen the cork gasket instantly.

Were you with me when I dropped my pan..NO!

My rubber gasket was FUCKED, any smart person who saw the shape that gasket was in would not have reused it. The torque specs on the trans pan are pretty tight and I doubt any fluid will leak out.

..and I did this drop at a freind of mines shop (who specializes in tranny's) and he is the one who reccomened the LubeGaurd and provided the gasket. I got to use his lift and all his tools and do the trans pan myself, and it wasn't done half ass at all.

I am not going to argue with you anymore because I am just speaking from personal expierence. You obviously know alot more about 60degree's and transmissions then me.

I couldn't tell you how many vehicles I've pulled into my install bay only to leave and have a little tranny fluid left behind. I usually discuss there car with them while I'm doing an install, and they talk about maintenance and all that jazz. Hell... I had a Jeep Wrangler blow it's tranny pan gakset about 5 months ago back in our install bay, and they just had a tranny fluid change done. I crawled under and seen the cork gasket instantly.

My old car with the 4T60 that I mentioned above (no reuseable gasket on this one) I did I'm gonna guess about 6-7 pan drops within that 100+k timeframe I had it. Fram, Wix, and some off-brand filter/gasket kit all had cork, and leaked within the year I serviced it. Purolator uses a paper gasket, which I started to use after such prior problems, and never leaked. At my old job (shop) cork gaskets are avoided at all costs and we stopped getting come-backs due to leaks. I'm sure the typical lazy mechanic that uses an air ratchet to tighten the pan bolts didn't help, but I always torqued my pan bolts (as low as 12 lb/ft which is not THAT tight) and still had issues.

There really is no argument here. You don't need to be jumping the gun on ANY of us as some of us here have been around these cars and this field and have more personal experiance than you think. Maybe your gasket was bad, maybe the previous owner hand tightened the bolts, hel maybe GM_Hydramatic overtorqued them. Shit does happen. But don't act like noone here knows what we're talking about.

Well Brian you got sand in my vagina because now I am worried my trans is going to start shitting out fluid!

I've seen some cork gaskets go 3+ years without leaking (my regal being one of them, before I changed it with a rubber/metal one) and others fail within weeks. It depends on how it was installed. If it starts leaking, then replace it with a rubber gasket, and call it a day. Thats about all you can do.