HUD info, with pinouts and a full database of my knowledge

Crazy K

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...

Hi. I have 1994 cutlass convertible. When I purchased the car my hud was reading miles/hr. I would like to switch it to km/hr as I am Canadian. My car does not have the switch on the console to change it over as I have read in other forums. Is there anybody who knows how to fix this issue??

You will need to remove your HUD to access the wiring harness. Find this wire:

Wire H - Light blue - english/metric, grounded = metric.

Be ABSOLUTELY SURE you have the light blue wire, snip it leaving a good amount to spare and connect the end of the wire going into the connector to a good ground. You should be able to splice it into Wire B- Black - GROUND. If done correctly your HUD will display in KPH

the info above is correct, though you might find splicing into and not cutting easier. I also imagine that the E/M wire terminates in an unused connector that is hidden in the dash, but i have not confirmed this...(will look for a harness I have that will answer the question and edit the post at that time)

Should you decide you want to be able to enable or disable E/M at any time, you can add a switch to ground or unground the E/M wire it as needed...

It should be the case though that the cluster harness has such a wire in it, at least up to '91 they would as the digital dash has the e/m button to change the display. I haven't checked yet whether my '93 still has it. Still getting up the guts to cut the hole in my dash top for the hud, but the hud works great.

It should be the case though that the cluster harness has such a wire in it, at least up to '91 they would as the digital dash has the e/m button to change the display. I haven't checked yet whether my '93 still has it. Still getting up the guts to cut the hole in my dash top for the hud, but the hud works great.

DO IT. :thumbsup:

No, seriously. F'n do it.

Thanks for the encouragement. I posted pics on the facebook page of the mess my car is in. I am almost there for cutting the hole. I have some stereo and digital dash wiring to finish then I have to bite the bullet.

I have the measurements for the hole, where exactly it needs to be on the dashpad, etc. if you can't find them. Go by those measurements and you will be just fine. :D

Thank you for your reply. Will let you know how it turned out when job is done. Second question though, will the temp control change to celsius as well??

When I had my '90 Cutlass International, I seem to recall that pushing the E/M button on the dash would change the climate and the DIS display. Not sure though, does anyone still have a '91 or earlier owner's manual? It would answer such questions. I am about to wire in a digital cluster myself now that my HUD is in and want to make sure the e/m buttons in the car operate as expected. It may be as simple as ensuring all the e/m wires are connected together, but I don't know if that is electrically ok. Anyone with a 89-91 feel like testing the continuity on that circuit to confirm that? Since my car is a '93 the wiring is different.

I have the measurements for the hole, where exactly it needs to be on the dashpad, etc. if you can't find them. Go by those measurements and you will be just fine. :D

Please share those measurements. I have a template but want to make extra sure before I cut up my dash.

One last comment, my HUD with a non-hud windshield is actually very visible in daylight with one caveat - DO NOT WEAR POLARIZED SUNGLASSES! It seems obvious to me now, but since the HUD is reflecting the display off a mirror onto the windshield, it effectively makes the display quite polarized and my sunglasses cut out about 80-90% of that light.