How To: Fix a Broken Armrest '95-97 Cutlass '95-96 Regal, '94-96 GP

Brian P

A very simple but sure-fire way to fix an armrest that's VERY prone to breaking at the hinge.

Materials:

Both broken pieces of the armrest

Two long bolts, at least 3 1/2 inches in length, about 5/16" diameter

Two matching nuts for said bolts

Matching Lock nuts, washers (optional)

Black paint, or shrink wrap (optional)

Drill bit just slightly larger than the bolt diameter (I used 7/16)

Removal of the armrest hinge is very simple. At the rear of the console are two phillips-head screws. Both are visible once the rear ashtray is removed. Then the two halves of the console can be spread apart approx 1/2" and will allow removal of the broken hinge. Releasing the back of the cupholder/shifter plate assembly may make spreading the console easier. If a pair of black plastic pieces come out with it, those are the hinge-guides/locks. Don't lose them. In fact just put them back in its place.

Take both pieces of the armrest, line them up and squeeze them together either using a vise, or C clamp, whichever works.

Mark two locations where you want to drill two holes, then drill ALL the way thru both pieces.

Insert bolts, tighten down with nuts.

Get creative with the finished product. My results are below and it took me 5 minutes to do.

7-18-06_003.jpg

7-18-06_005.jpg

7-18-06_008.jpg

To reinstall, is the reverse of removal. Just be sure the "hinge guides" are in place correctly BEFORE installing the armrest/hinge assy. I find it easiest to install it in the full-up position.

Rest assured if this breaks again, the console will probably break with it.

I would like to comment.... that this Method would be excellent at reinforcing an undamaged armrest lid.

as a metter of fact... I'll do it and add a pic of mine given a few days.

This may also prove useful for 95+ Luminas and Monte Carlos as well.

I got an armrest from the junkyard that I thought wasn't broken, but upon further inspection it was actually repaired by someone. Theres 2 little metal straps (1 on each side) and screws going through the sides (opposite of that pic). It's quite solid actually, but if your armrest isn't broken right in the middle than that method wouldn't be much good. I should have took pics while it was apart.

I did basically the same thing long before I found this wonderful haven, on the red 96gp that is..three black drywall screws did the trick, never broke again.

If I could only fix my monte armrest now, everyone i've found is broken in at least one spot, a good one sold on ebay for $100+ :eek:

good write-up...i wish i would have swapped the broken armrest onto my cutlass before i traded it in...i gave away a perfectly good one...dammit..

i wish i would have swapped the broken armrest onto my cutlass before i traded it in...i gave away a perfectly good one...dammit..

Same way I felt after I traded in my Grand Prix and a couple months later noticed a crack in my Regal's armrest :willynilly: . Although I didn't search for an armrest nearly as long as you did :mrgreen:...

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi,

I did the repair on my 94 GTP and the only problem is that sometimes either one of the hinge guides pop out of place. The console is put together properly and all 3 pieces of both guides are not broken and they go into the the console holes fine. They just pop back into place,but it would be nice if there is a fix to it. Thanks John