Haven't been here for a WHILE...some questions.

mewantsa87gnx

Haven't had a chance to go on here for a good while, and haven't had the money to put into this hunk-o-junk. I just had to shell out $180 on a steering column and replacement since someone grew fond of my 95 Monte in Boston and tried to acquire it for themselves, idiot f*cknut failed but fudged up my steering column enough I needed one, too bad he got away with all my stereo stuff though :evil:. Still have to replace the door locks (difficult??) Anyways, all that is besides the point. Now that it's getting warmer I want to do some things to the car. I want to baby this car now like never before (didn't have it for a month), I was planning on a Gunk motor flush, some Castrol High Mileage with Hyper Lube engine treatment, tranny filter change with high mileage Dexron, and Lucas Tranny treatment, bleed the brakes and replace old brake fluid with synthetic fluid, change the fuel filter, replace struts and mounts, the alternator looks like it went AGAIN (search forum for my prior alternator woes) but it's under warranty (i hope). Any comments or tips about all that are welcome and needed.

Now to the questions. I now work at Autozone and we have a strut deal with Gabriel, I could get all four struts for $100 after the rebate and my discount, but I saw that Gabriel isn't the most well regarded strut, are they really that bad, I'm not looking too much for performance, just replace some old ones. Next up, what is the easiest way to bleed the fuel line so I can do the fuel filter change, is there a walkthrough with pics? What's left that I can do (i think) is bleeding the brakes and replacing the fluid, procedure with pics?

Forgot about one thing, this question is up for discussion and concerns oil filters. Is Purolator that much better than AC Delco/Fram? I have a Mobil 1 in there right now but I can't justify the $11 price tag every month or so.

You can use your fancy oil and engine treatments if you want, but I think they'll have more of an impact on your mind than on your car. Regular ol' cheap Wal-mart SuperTech oil, filter, and tranny fluid is enough to keep these cars running for longer than most people keep a car. I have 4 vehicles over 100,000 miles on the cheap stuff, 2 of which are over 200,000, with no problems whatsoever.

Purolator might be better than AC Delco, who knows, but AC Delco is plenty good enough. Even the SuperTech filters are plenty good enough (made by Champion Labs). Fram are crap, I'd avoid them, even though I'm sure they won't hurt your engine. They're just cheap quality that costs more. Paying more for lesser quality is always dumb.

I would spend a little extra for Monroe. 4 struts for $100 is an okay deal, but nothing to write home about, especially not for Gabriels.

Oil's like gas... Shell can charge a dime a gallon more than Huck's because it's 'big-name' (at least here in Chicago)... but half the companies buy from each other's refineries anyway.

The only reason I use Fram is the black grip part on the bottom. Never have to use a wrench or anything to get one off. Put it on with my hand, take it off with my hand.

The only reason I use Fram is the black grip part on the bottom. Never have to use a wrench or anything to get one off. Put it on with my hand, take it off with my hand.

that is amazing, although I've never had to use a wrench anyways, sometimes it just takes longer than others :lol: just don't put it on tighter than you can get off

I usually go with Exxon Oil, mostly cuz I barely use a quart between oil changes, and for the filter I always use k&n, I love the removal nut on it!

How does everyone have all these problems with oil filters? I've never met a car I've needed a filter wrench for. I get the blue STP ones, every time. They're easy as hell to remove.