Which Bass Blockers to use

DRGrocho

I'm planning on putting some bass blockers on the front speakers in my Lumina when I install the new H/U. My questions is what frequency would you recommend, they have from 5.6KHz down to 500Hz. I am leaning toward either the 800Hz or the 600Hz options.

I have never used these before, so I am curious what sounds good, and what will be sufficient to increase my speaker life

meh... bass blockers are a crappy way to go, imo. i'd pick up a set of passive crossovers and a set of tweeters if i were going to stick with factory stuff.

i had a friend who put bass blockers on the four by sixes in his firebird and it sounded like som poo.

just my $.02

Don't use them. I tried two different sets of bass blockers on both a set of rockford fosgate 4" speakers and a set of pioneer 4" speakers. It cut the bass with no problem, but added static to the high notes. For example, if I played a song with a lot of subwoofer frequencies, it would come out of the speakers as low volume static. Don't use these if you are trying to go for a good quality sound. if you wanna blast the volume and dont care about the quality, then go for it. They will definitely prevent your speakers fromblowing, but thats about it.

bass blockers were invented by best buy to tack on an additional $10 to your car audio purchase.

Don't pay for bass blockers. Put a 220 micro-farad capacitor in series in the positive speaker wire before the speaker. Then pat yourself on the back for spending 89 cents instead of $9.

If your new H/U is a good one. Or even nowadays they got cheap Sony explode decks with built-in-amp x-overs and rca out x-overs so you can tell the speakers what high pass frequency to use.

So read the owners manual to yours and see what menu option to access.

Don't waste the money or the time on bass blockers. I've always prefered going the crossover route. I think it does a lot better job of cutting the unwanted frequencies and still gives you good control over the ones you want. Until I install seperates in the front, I've gone with a 3-way crossover and I can adjust my 5.25's, 6x9's, and my woofers from right under my seat. And I can adjust them as needed depending on my mood or the music I'm playing.

Oh, and as silly as it may sound, it's also a good way to turn down the bass if I'm driving the folks around or someone else who may not appreciate the heavy booms slamming them in the back of the head while riding in my back seat. LOL

• 7 years later...