why is spinning tires hard on the tranny?

THe_DeTAiL3R

I know it's hard on the tranny to be spinning your tires (ie rain), or when you go around corners with a FWD car. Why is this? Does the tranny fluid shift to the other side of the pan or something? Just wondering.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Aaron

• THe_DeTAiL3R

• Canada

• jeremy

because the tranny shift while doing burnouts and shit, and the tranny see's no resistnace, like on a dyno the rollers weight like thousands of pounds. As for going around corners thats cuz the tire is spinning and then catching again and it sort of shocks the tranny, no resistance, then all a sudden it catches the pavement and had a load on the tranny again. At least thats how i understand it

It doesn't hurt the tranny at all if you do clutch drops from 4500rpms ;)

I did the drops from normally about 4500, then they would just start spinning, therefore it doesn't hurt the car in any way (except tires...lol).

I did the drops from normally about 4500, then they would just start spinning, therefore it doesn't hurt the car in any way (except tires...lol).

I was waiting for Turby to say that. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I wonder if Tony read that before he bought Aaron's car. :lol: :joke:

it only hurts the transmission if one of the wheels and not the other is spinning...if it just all of a sudden grabs real hard it could be a problem, but if you have some power under the hood that shouldn't happen.

The reason why 1 wheel wonders are bad is its hell on differentials, which is easily the weakest link in FWD transmissions. A friend of mine blew the carrier clear out of his '92 Delta 88 by doing 1 wheel wonders.

On the other hand my friend has a '92 Skylark 3300 and we have done oil burnouts (spins both tires) for the last 40k miles and it has not broken the trans, which is original to the car at over 170k...and that's a TH-125

I think he posted that after I bought it. How about the time he dumped it with me in the car and the throttle stuck open and bounced off the rev limiter!?

I think he posted that after I bought it. How about the time he dumped it with me in the car and the throttle stuck open and bounced off the rev limiter!?

:lol2: Ouch. I'd be :shock::arrow::bash:

maybe arron's car had work done to the trany. not all cars are equal! but regaurdless, it is getting the tires to spin then letting them stop spinning that harms the trany. cause it is more work the stress on the trany than what GM designed it for.

Is that not what its there for, to prevent overrevving?

What's the difference between bouncing the limiter for a split second with a stuck throttle or shifting at the rev limiter WOT? So basically you guys would be pissed if I took the car to redline...Wait, that's what the motor was built to do, run to 7150rpm without any issues. And I'd say it does that quite well.

The rev limiter is there to keep it from over revving, and is at 7150rpm. Hitting it isn't bad for a motor at all. Over extended periods of time, under oiled, it can be harmful, but the car was definately not under oiled, and wasn't run to 7000+ rpm all the time.

The tranny was a stock unit with 106k, and shifted perfectly. Oh, and it spun both tires, well too. Tony got a bit of a taste for the tires. And even after me dropping it and lighting them up for 50ft, it still ran perfect, strong, and shifted perfectly. And I'm positive he will not run into ANY tranny problems unless he starts missing/grinding gears. That is why the 284 is so good, becuz we don't know of anyone who has blown one as a result of doing burnouts, racing, or anything short of fucking up.

Yah, so much harm done...

So basically what your saying, is if Im at a red light, it turns green and I put it to the floor, both tires spin, then Im not hurting the tranny at all. But if only one tire spins then your hurting the tranny. And if you get stuck in snow, onely one tire spins so then I shouldnt touch the gas at all because thats bad>?

So basically what your saying, is if Im at a red light, it turns green and I put it to the floor, both tires spin, then Im not hurting the tranny at all. But if only one tire spins then your hurting the tranny. And if you get stuck in snow, onely one tire spins so then I shouldnt touch the gas at all because thats bad>?

When did I say anything about which is better, 1 tire spinning or 2?

I didn't say anything about that. But burnouts are not that bad on the trannsmission or clutch. It is much worse if your tires hook up.

OK, I started reading this to see if I've been hurting my car lately, and now I'm more lost then before I started... If you floor it off a light, and spin the tires, is that better than if only one tires spins?? And by the way, what the hell is a one wheel wonder, how is it done? :lol: :bash:

Mine spins them pretty good with the existing 205/70/15. I'm not sure how it will act when I put the 225/60/16 on it. Guess I'll find out within the next couple weeks. Hopefully similar, because I feel cool 8) when I floor it, and I hear some squealing, makes me think I got this beast under the hood, but then I realize it's just a 3100 with no mods :(