Blown head gasket

93 Grand Prix

I am still having problems with my cooling fans not coming on. I was wondering, If I had a blown head gasket, would the cooling fans not work? I have replaced the cooling temp sensor 2 times ,a nd the relays. What else can I do? What are the symptoms of a blown head gasket?

Blowing white smoke, sweet smelling exhaust, overheating, general bad driviablity. You could do a compression check, that will tell for sure. How many miles?

BTW, where you the one with those problems with your car and you replaced all kinds of parts? Did you figure out what the problem was?

Jason

93 Grand Prix,

Elcipse is right, if the head gaskets is blow, you would also find engine oil in the coolant system. As for the cooling fans, try jumping the system by grounding the dignostic connector and see then if the fan come on... if not, it another sensor somewhere or your ECM has a high range before it does turn them on.

http://redfox340.tripod.com/wbodyperformance/id12.html

Best of luck!!! - RedFox340

a bad head gasket would not effect the fans. the fans are a electrical device a gaket would not have anything do to with an electrical device not working.

use a fluke meter and see if the fans are even getting power. if the power wire shows power but the fans are not coming on the motors in the fans may be toast.

RedZ

I believe there is some kind of relay involved with the A/C, when the A/C is turned on, the fans automatically come on. Maybe your problem is with that relay. See if they come on when you turn the A/C on.

My car has 151,081 miles on ot. I didn't think that the fans not coming has anything to do with a blown head gasket, but not sure. I am experiencing problems, but shawn lin says that it is either my coils, or injector, and since I replaced my coils w/ module, It must be the injector. But I also heard that the 3.1 l has problems with the blowing of head gaskets. The problems I am having are:

1. engine hard to start when cold

2. engine lopes while idling

3. engine idles erratically

4. engine misses at idle

5. excessive fuel consumption

6. cooling fns won't come on

7. bad fuel odor

8. no power in 4th gear

Could a blown head gasket cause any of this? Please help me. Please don't tell me to trade it in, or set fire, or wreck it, b/c it pisses me off. :evil:

You may want to inspect those injectors. The Multitec injectors are horrable for leaking...regardless of how you take car of them (gas quality, additives). To check...

-Remove the upper intake.

-Remove the fuel rail with the fuel lines and injectors still installed.

-Flip the fuel rail over, and prime the pump. You can do this by connecting the red wire that is hanging by the remote battery post to +12v. This turns on the pump.

-Let it build pressure (run it for like 30 sec or so) and disconnect the wire.

-Wait for 5 mins or so and look at the holes on the ends of the injectors. If there is fuel puddled up, that injector leaks.

-You may have to prime the pump/wait numerous times to make sure.

Of the six NEW GM the injectors I bought for my TurboSTE less than a year ago, 4 of them were leaking. One of those 4 was leaking badly. If you see a little fuel at the tip, thats not too bad...you're looking for the fuel to be puddling up. You may want to dab a paper towel inside the tip to make sure every injector is dry before turning on the pump.

Jason

If the fans are getting power and you're SURE you replaced the ECM temp sensor and not the one for the dash gauge, then maybe the ECM is bad. A bad ECM could cause all those symptoms too.

I would pick up a used one for cheap ($10-15) and swap it in and see what happens.