Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

3.4L Engine (Valve?) Noise

sounds just like my engine. I believe that it is spark knock like a mofo. Check your Crank Position Sensor. Mine simply broke while in the engine so the ECM didn't know when to send spark and eventually busted my piston Be careful removing it cause it may simply break off the rest of the way and fall into the crankcase. You might be able to check it by testing the amount of microvolts going to the ICM from the sensor.
    <br />92 coupe and 93 vert LQ1&#039;s<br /><br />I own 2 so I have one to drive when the other breaks

Thanks

Hey Paul, your car sounds worse than what I had imagined when you described it! It doesn't sound like lifter tick to me, it sounds worse. In that sound clip, I couldn't even hear the engine over that noise.

Try Joey's advice and pray that fixes it. There's also a possibility that a cam may have jumped timing for whatever reason (they're not keyed on the sprocket), although I don't know if that would make a noise unless the pistons were hitting the valves.

Thanks

Well, the Crank Possition sensor isn't something that had crossed my mind before, but I'll certainly check that out when I get home tonight.

That would certainly be an easier fix than taking the engine appart.

Thanks!

Paul

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by joey b
    You might be able to check it by testing the amount of microvolts going to the ICM from the sensor.
    Ok, I checked the voltage coming out at the ICM. It looks like it was in the 30-50mv range (Hard to tell exactly, since I had to both crank the engine and watch the meter. In this case, I wish I had an analog meter available, since it was difficult to see the moving decimal point).

After the adventure I had pulling that plug out of the ECM, I'm not sure I am ambidextrous enough to fix this If I have to go at it from the bottom of the motor.

So are we back to a valve,lifter, or rod problem, or is this an indication that the crank sensor is dead?

Paul

To me it sounded like the crankshaft and camshaft oil passage ways to the bearings are not getting enough oil (partially blocked).

Try the CKPS to see if that fixes the problem.

This is my diagnostics and procedure if I encounter that problem. That sound is like our 1995 Ford F150 (flush did not solve the problem; replaced the oil pump, oil pump strainer/filter; temporary 5W30 fix the problem) and Dodge 2001 Ram (flush; temporary 5W30 fixed the problem).

1. Fill the oil crankcase with 1 quart of GUNK Motor Tune-Up Flush in addition to the existing oil. Start the vehicle for 5 minutes and turn off the engine. Does the ticking noise disappear? Or Not?

If the ticking noise is gone. Use 5W30 oil temporarily and see if the ticking disappears. Do an oil change after 500 or 1000 miles with thicker oil 10W30 or higher.

If the ticking noise is still there, replace the oil pump, oil pump strainer/filter. Clean the inside of the oil pan for gunk and debris.
    Use 5W30 oil temporarily and see if the ticking disappears. Do an oil change after 500 or 1000 miles with thicker oil 10W30 or higher.

If the ticking noise is still there, try a thicker oil than 10W30 and if the problem is still there, you got a worn main bearing, valve, camshaft problem, etc.
    1999 Dodge Truck RAM 1500 1/2 ton 4WD V8 360 Z 5.9L SFI QUAD CAB Sport Ed<br />1999 HONDA TRUCK PASSPORT 4WD V6 03165 3.2L MFI<br />1997 MERCURY SABLE 6 Cylinders 182 U 3.0L SFI<br />1994 PONTIAC GRAND AM L4 138 3 2.3L MFI SOHC QUAD<br />1990 OLDSMOBILE CUTLASS V6 191 T 3.1L MFI<br />1981 MERCEDES BENZ 240D 4 Cylinders 02399 2.4L DIESEL

spark knock sounds more like you've got marbles sitting in your cylinders bouncing 'round when it's running.

Rod knock is usually a defined klunking sound that resonates thru the entire block (note that's USUALLY, not alwyas)

Lifter Tick is usually a clicking type sound from the top of the motor

these are "usual" sounds of these problems but not are not always* what they sound like.

not sure what it'd sound like if you droped a valve in there, but I'd imagine it'd sound MUCH worse.

--Dave.

I'm not sure of the voltage amount that you are supposed to get, I'll try to find out. Keep this in mind in the case that it broke. When mine broke, it literally broke. It was hanging in place by some type of cloth with the magnet. I pulled on it like a mofo and it ripped and fell into the oil pan. If you have to replace it don't let that happen.
    <br />92 coupe and 93 vert LQ1&#039;s<br /><br />I own 2 so I have one to drive when the other breaks

Gp crazy

IT sounds like it's in the upper part of the engine! IM thinking one of the cam gears is out of adjustment! which one is it who know's? may be the belts look good from the top. but may have jumped? Why are'nt they keyed? does any body modify them so they are keyed ? (sound's like a good idea)
    just my thoughts jeff b
    good luck

also to fix the o-ring seal you have to pull the rear head ! sorry !

Thanks

Well, I went ahead and changed the oil (on Slade901's recomendation I went ahead and used the tune up flush - It needed the oil change done anyway), and there wasn't any change in the noise.

I'm still trying to find a way I can get my fat inflexable arms through or around something to get to the CKPS in the hope that might fix it.

Paul

Thanks

Just a quick update on this project. I finally got the car back together after pulling the CKPS and Knock sensors out through the wheel well.

Unfortunately, there wasn't any change in engine noise, so It looks Like I'm going to have to start over with something on the top side of the motor.

Paul

just had the same sound out of a 3cyl firefly. ended up being the ring gear that was crack, i could not belived it.
    91 inter 3.4 auto blue
    <br />93 sl 3.1 auto 4d gold

the noise almost sounds like a bad lifter in there honestly, also I've seen broken valve springs cause that kind of noise before too - just recently came across a car with a broken valve spring and the noise sounded almost exactly like the one in your recording...

--Dave.

damn that sucks

that is the exact same noise my 2.5 88 lebaron made when i junked it.

i drove 120 miles and a valve started to stick but not stuck and threw half my oil out of the car. by the time i reached my destination i noiced my mpg drop to 22 in that 4cyl at 60mph and new something was wrong but couldnt do anything about it.

The next day i drove to school and the tick you hear on that clip started so i checked the oil.. stick was dry so i dumped almost 3 quarts of oil in and knew i wasnt going to make it back home without overheating or breaking something in that pos motor. I towed it back 120miles home and
    I pulled the valve cover off the the motor and check the lifters springs while running ect. and they seemed to be working alright. the damage now seemed to be the piston rod with that exact same tick noise. I didnt get that far into the motor to see it but i wasnt going to waist my time on a high milage dodge with a dieing pos tranny.

on a positive note you can pull the motor and rebuild it and unleash the fury of your LQ1
    1995 lumina LS 3.4DOHC 198k miles - retired!<br />Coming Soon- 1995 Crate motor hooked to a reman 3.73 FDR 4t60e with stalls and HD-upgrade. Adding headers non-hackjob. I love my friends! Scott you ROCK!<br />&nbsp; http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/4/web/436000-436999/436966_123.jpg<br />**Signature Pic Removed*<br />*MAXIMUM SIG PHOTO SIZE 600 X 150 *<br />http://www.w-body.com/forum/index.php/topic,60683.0.html

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DaveFromColorado
    the noise almost sounds like a bad lifter in there honestly, also I've seen broken valve springs cause that kind of noise before too - just recently came across a car with a broken valve spring and the noise sounded almost exactly like the one in your recording...

--Dave.
    Ok, that brings on two questions.

1) If this really is the problem, what's involved in fixing it?
    2) If I take it somewhere, what's this going to cost me?

I think I can pretty much answer #1, since it would seem this will take pulling the heads to get at the lifters and or springs. of course, pulling the heads requries pulling the intake, and, I might as well do the oil pump drive seal while I'm at it.

I'm probably capable of doing this myself, but, I'm getting ready to sell my other car, so I'm not sure exactly how much longer I'll have transportation to go on parts runs (and I'm not sure I have money for parts until I sell the other car...)

Paul

Im sorry but that wav you psted almost made me sick. maybe its cuz mine made that the day before it seized. Only thing i can suggest is check your oil. but im sure you tried that looong ago :?
    **Signature Pic Removed*<br />*MAXIMUM SIG PHOTO SIZE 600 X 150 *<br />http://www.w-body.com/forum/index.php/topic,60683.0.html<br />http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v194/skiiirt/1992.jpg[/img]<br />http://www.punk-ass.com/oldgirl.gif[/img]<br />1992 Cutlass Supreme International - LQ1, Custom Dual Magnaflow Exhaust, Cat Removed.<br />2004 Oldsmobile Bravada - 1 of 3624<br />View My Car Gallery

Visitors found this page by searching for:

3.4 engine noise

3.4 liter lifter noise

3.4l engine

3.4L lifter noise

3.4 lifter noise