Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: northstar engine swap

Quote Originally Posted by 2bZBat
    thanx for all the input guys!...I've seen a 4.9 in a fiero myself and it looked like a nice sano install...the owner said the engine and tranny came from a caddy allante...but there are brighter days ahead! I read in "motor trend" (I think, I got so many mags laying around!)...that the detroit spies have seen wbody test mules running around with small bore,all aluminum (4.6) gen3 SBC engines...theysaid they plan on supplanting the L67 in the MonteSS, ImpalaSS and the Grand Prix. It also stated that they are trying to keep the HP output under 300 because they feel 300 is too unweildy for FWD (bullchit!)...so maybe it wont be so awful much longer before we have the means for a drop-in V8 swap!
    heck detroit has had 300hp 3800 supers running around for 10 years now but they wont market one - with traction control you have a chance of launching one....the problem still remains that even the beefed up 4T65E will lose an input drum or some expensive splines behind all that power so the requires a bigger tranny that is not an easy fit - it would become a service nightmare.

northstar engine swap

a northstar will indeed fit in the later w-cars. why else would Olds create the Intrigue OSV 4.6? according to GM the northstar fits perfectly after moving the battery to the trunk. The 4.6 is only 1 cylinder length longer than a 3.5 The 4t80 fits, but as for the drive shafts, I have no clue.

Thanks

northstar engine swap

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=31865 was what i had planned before my trofeo got killed but i bought a supercharged riv to replace it and think i will put 3.8 in my 89 regal

Thanks

northstar engine swap

Yeah, Northstar and 4T80-E will fit the gen 2 W-bodies no problem. Custom mounts required, but will fit and the Cadillac halfshafts work no probs. Gen 1 W-bodies don't have enough firewall depth to fit a Northstar, and not enough clearance to fit a 4T80-E (vacuum booster and rack in the way). With enough cutting, hacking, and welding, it could be made to fit, but then you'd be looking at the kind of work rich people pay hot rod shops 6-figures to do.

I would sure like a V8 in my gen 1 W-body, but the Caddy 4.9L isn't a particularly good engine. Too bad there aren't other V8 options.

Thanks

northstar engine swap

Quote Originally Posted by GnatGoSplat
    I would sure like a V8 in my gen 1 W-body, but the Caddy 4.9L isn't a particularly good engine. Too bad there aren't other V8 options.
    What about the ASG 5.0?
    Chris D.-
    '02 Buick Century- Wife's
    2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee- Company Car/DD

Thanks

northstar engine swap

Quote Originally Posted by slick94prix
    What about the ASG 5.0?
    It's just a built-up 4.9L.
    Just the wet-sleeve design of the engine (or GM's impementation of it) makes it not very durable. 4.9L is bad enough, I can only imagine what kind of headaches a ASG 5.0L version would be. Not worth the $$$ either.

Thanks

northstar engine swap

Ah, didn't realize that.
    Chris D.-
    '02 Buick Century- Wife's
    2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee- Company Car/DD

Thanks

northstar engine swap

ASG 5.0 Engine Technical Specifications
    The ASG 5.0 System was designed to update the GM W class cars to modern, fuel injected V8 power. It can also be used as a direct, drop-in replacement for the Cadillac 4.9L engine and 4T60-E transmission in cars so equipped.

ASG 5.0 engines begin life as a new GM Goodwrench Cadillac OHV 4.9L V8. This engine was the mainstay for Cadillac from 1991-1994 when it was replaced by the 4.6L DOHC Northstar Engine. The 4.9L OHV V8 is rated at 200 HP at 4100 RPM, and 275 ft-lbs of Torque at 3000 RPM by Cadillac. Cadillac mated the 4.9L OHV V8 with their strongest front-wheel drive automatic transmission of the day -- the Cadillac 4T60-E.

ASG V8 W-Bodies
    BASE KIT: $1,530
    Includes all necessary hardware, mount brackets, engine and transmission mounts, specially crafted half shafts, hoses, oil cooler and lines, Power steering hoses, A/C hoses, and all bolts, clamps and miscellaneous. Also includes specific wiring instructions for your exact vehicle.
    http://www.angelfire.com/stars/mycad...nce%20results:

sounds cool though

Thanks

northstar engine swap

It's just a built-up 4.9L.
    Just the wet-sleeve design of the engine (or GM's impementation of it) makes it not very durable. 4.9L is bad enough, I can only imagine what kind of headaches a ASG 5.0L version would be. Not worth the $$$ either.
    Can you elaborate on the wet-sleeve design? What is it cylinder sleeves, and there pressed in while wet or something? My grandpa had a 4.9 in his 95 Deville and that thing ran awesome up to the day that he sold it.

Tony.V
    1992 Lumina Z34 |3.4L 207ci DOHC 60 V6; Getrag 284|
    1994 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP |3.4L 207ci DOHC 60 V6; Hydra-Matic 4T60E|
    1999 Chrysler 300M |3.5L 214ci SOHC 60 V6; 42LE|

Thanks

northstar engine swap

Quote Originally Posted by 5speedz34
    Can you elaborate on the wet-sleeve design? What is it cylinder sleeves, and there pressed in while wet or something? My grandpa had a 4.9 in his 95 Deville and that thing ran awesome up to the day that he sold it.
    Wet sleeve means the cylinders are iron sleeves surrounded by coolant in the block. The coolant is kept out of the combustion chamber via O-ring at the bottom, and cylinder head at the top. Coolant and oil mixing was a common problem with some of these engines. The life of the engine is also shorter since the O-ring is used in a severe-duty type environment and will need replacing eventually. The bad thing is by the time you've figured out an O-ring needs to be replaced, the engine has already thrown a rod.
    This is very different than an aluminum engine like the LS1 which has a cast-in-place iron sleeve.

northstar engine swap

Geez, just poke a sharp stick in my eye why don't ya' ? The later ones are quite reliable if properly maintained, kind of like a 3.4 DOHC. I did a lot of checking around before I bought mine because of all the negative press I'd heard. I found that the 4.9 isn't the ticking time bomb the 4.1 and 4.5 were, at least not the later ones. I got a '95 which has all the factory fixes ( greatly improved cylinder block casting ), it was a low mile pampered specimen so I'm not worried. But yeah, if you DON'T maintain them......... :bawl:

If you REALLY want an easy V-8 for the early W-body it's the only choice. Hell, GM even built some 4.9 Lumina test mules, from what I heard they were well received but the project got axed. Unfortunately there is NO aftermarket and most of the people that mod them try to get more high RPM HP, these are NOT high RPM motors, they are low RPM torque motors, set your car up to take advantage of that and you'll do fine, try to spin 'em like a 3.4 and they'll blow. I'm an old Pontiac V-8 guy, I learned to love torque over HP for a street car a long time ago. For 1/4 mile I'd build a Series II L67 but for a fairly cheap and fun street car I think the 4.9 is a good choice. It better be... I'm stuck with it now ! :shock:

Thanks

northstar engine swap

I think the later 4.9L's may be fairly reliable if you drive them like a grandpa (since it's old people who mainly owned the 4.9L cars). Drive it like some of the young guys on the forum drive their 3.4's, and it would likely self-destruct in no time!!! Actually I'm sure they're not that fragile, just not much power from an engine that size. Even the TPI intake manifold for it (used in the Allante) is nearly impossible to find.

But, it is the ONLY V8 option for us right now.

northstar engine swap

Drive it like some of the young guys on the forum drive their 3.4's, and it would likely self-destruct in no time!!!
    :shock: No argument on that one !!!

Actually I'm sure they're not that fragile, just not much power from an engine that size. Even the TPI intake manifold for it (used in the Allante) is nearly impossible to find.

But, it is the ONLY V8 option for us right now.
    True, if you just look at HP they aren't very impressive, in fact it's pretty depressing. However it has the potential to make pretty decent torque over a fairly broad range and torque is what accelerates the car. The Sequential Port Injection on the later ones actually works pretty well and the manifold flows well. They are a "square" motor, the bore and stroke are equal, 3.623 X 3.623. That's a pretty long stroke for a 299 CID motor. The peak torque is only factory rated @ 275 but it comes at a fairly low RPM (hence the low HP numbers) and it's a fairly broad flat curve, that means strong throttle response at just about any RPM. With some intake, ignition and exhaust tweaking and careful selection of converter and gearing it could be a pretty decent performer in a light car. That's what I'm banking on anyway and past experience with Oldsmobiles and Pontiacs tells me I'm on the right track. I hope to be able to put my money where my mouth is by this fall........... Too bad it's been out of production for 10 years.

Thanks

northstar engine swap

Sounds good. I do like that it will sound like a V8. No offense to anyone here, but I've heard many W-bodies with exhaust, and it doesn't matter to me what you do to a V6... it still sounds like a wimpy V6 even if it could slaughter a V8 on the track.
    I also think those engines can run 87-octane pump gas, so it wouldn't be a bad daily driver if it got decent enough fuel economy.

northstar engine swap

I do like that it will sound like a V8.
    My #1 reason for the swap. 8)

Visitors found this page by searching for:

northstar swap

northstar engine dimensions

Northstar swap wiring

northstar engine mounts

w body northstar swap