Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks

Fixing Negative Camber?

Ok...so I don't know much about suspensions or alignments...but my tires are wearing bad on the Lumina. Only the front...but I have a negative camber. Someone told me that you can't adjust the camber on the Lumina..is this true?

I have fairly new tires on the car and are in good shape...so I don't want to keep running through them, so I'd like to fix this. How would I go about fixing that then if it's not adjustable?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,267 Times in 1,683 Posts
    King of Code
    1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E... for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to RobertISaar For This Useful Post:

urbex (04-17-2011)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyCarKid View Post
    my tires are wearing bad on the Lumina. Only the front
    Excessive toe wear can be mistaken for camber wear in some cases.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyCarKid View Post
    ...but I have a negative camber.
    A slight amount of negative camber is a good thing. Excessive negative camber is...excessive. HOW MUCH negative camber do you have?

WHAT IS THE RIDE HEIGHT of the vehicle, measured by the official GM procedure? Ride height can dramatically affect alignment settings. You might find that fixing a ride-height issue will return the alignment angles to the proper spec.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertISaar View Post
    Thank you! I'm just glad it can be done...I was getting worried.

Honestly I really don't know if it's toe wear or camber is off, but the inside of each front tire is wearing down drastically on each..so I just assumed that's what it was. If it makes it any more helpful, the cause of whatever is off is from an accidental "fall".

I'll have to go check the ride height in a little bid once it stops snowing....

Thanks
    check/adjust toe before playing with camber.... though the fall could have caused the issue, do the easier process first.
    King of Code
    1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E... for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!

Thanks
    Well, I think I might just see about having it done at school. It's like $10 plus parts for any service...and I've never done an alignment before, so I don't have the proper tools.

I do have to ask though, how do you know so much shit?

Thanks
    because IRL, i have no friends(or people i regularly contact) outside of my wife, which leaves plenty of time to learn damn near anything i want.... not necessarily a good life choice, BTW.
    King of Code

Thanks
    Hmmm...doesn't sound all that different than me, yet I still don't learn anything. Just Facebook...

Thanks
    A simple check of the alignment at any competent alignment shop can see if it's actually camber wear or a toe out situation. And RobertISaar is spot on with that link. I had to do that in both of my Luminas and my MC.
    Just here for the pizza

Thanks
    well, i am driven by the thought that death is inevitable and random, therefore, any time i am doing something that is not utilizing the fullest extent of my time left is waste.

and that's enough OT discussion for me.

i did a little bit of the adjustment on the wife's GP before i did discover it was a toe issue, it no longer burns up tires due to stevie wonder's alignment.
    King of Code

Thanks
    Yeah... I know I'm probably taking a risk getting it done at school, but for $10.... I don't really have the $ to go to a shop...especially since the HHR needs an alignment too. Hopefully it'll at least be better than it is now, and if not, it should make do until I can save up a little bit more for a shop. I mean, the teacher is with them in the shop...so it's not like a bunch of random people...and any shop can screw up, not just students.

I'm just really glad to hear that it is adjustable. Like I said, someone told me that on front wheel drive cars you couldn't and I'd have to replace a lot of parts...

Thanks
    for $10, if there is anything more sophisticated than a tape measure and masking tape(how i measured toe BTW), it's a good deal.
    King of Code

Thanks
    Well and that's what I figured. The last time I had it done at a shop it was $50, and that was about 4-5 years ago..so it's probably gone up since then. And, if I'm getting it done on two cars, I'll save quite a bit.

Thanks
    You'll be fine having it done at the school. At least where I went, any time a customer brought something in, the instructor made damn sure that things were done right. Also, I know prices vary, but around here, the average 4-wheel alignment is ~$80
    Just here for the pizza

Thanks
    I just checked my ride height. 9" all around.

Visitors found this page by searching for:

how to fix negative camber

fixing negative camber

how to fix a negative camberhow to fix negative camber wearhow to fix camber wear