Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thanks

Steering wheel controls and aftermarket stereo

I know how to make the SWC's work with an aftermarket stereo, there's the PAC SWI-X or Soundgate adapters.

My question is, how to make the SWC's work with the climate control after removing the factory stereo? The factory stereo contains the circuitry that translates the SWC output to E&C Data which the climate control understands. If I remove the factory stereo, then the SWC's can no longer control the climate control. Does anyone know of a company that makes something for this?

This is the 94 w/airbag and analog SWC's.

Administrator
    Thanks

As far as I knew.. the PAC unit also allowed the climate controls to work as well. I'll read through the the instructions for my unit and see what they say. I'll let you know.

2006 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP - 39k, all stock

1987 Suzuki Samurai JX Tintop
    - Myside 2 Intake manifold, Harley Davidson CV Carb, 2" exhaust, Calmini Header, XM radio, 157k (owned since Aug. 2004)

Thanks

As far as I knew, the Delco Factory Radio is what actually "sends" the commands to the HVAC Control Assembly.

So, if you're using anything other than the stock radio, I don't see how it can work?

I'm looking at the wiring diagram for the 1994 Cutlass Steering Wheel Control set-up, and it shows a Dark Green wire coming OUT of the stock radio where it is then spliced into two connections, one for the Data Link Connector, and one for the HVAC Control Assembly.

Mabye(and hopefully) I'm wrong, but this was the impression that I was under...

With computers, anything is possible. That said, programming something to translate that stuff would suck. I hope someone else has done it for you.
    Poet Laureate of Cell Block W<br /><br />** MAX SIGNATURE SIZE- 600 X 150 PIXELS**<br />http://www.w-body.com/forum/index.php?topic=69063.msg881516#msg881516<br />http://i607.photobucket.com/albums/tt157/SGB517/SANY0226-1.jpg<br /><br />1996 Buick Regal GS (deceased)<br />1987 Ford Econoline (sold)<br />1988 Mercury Cougar (for sale)<br />1993 Pontiac Grand Prix SE

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gmrulz4u
    As far as I knew, the Delco Factory Radio is what actually "sends" the commands to the HVAC Control Assembly.

So, if you're using anything other than the stock radio, I don't see how it can work?
    Yes, this is the case, hence my dilemma!
    The 89 is much simpler, because the SWC's are digital and there is an SWC controller that converts this digital signal directly into the E&C Data.

Nah, I don't feel like programming a microcontroller to take its place.
    It would sure be nice to know how to program a microcontroller and build some circuitry around it, but the learning curve is pretty steep.

Thanks

I have an aftermarket stereo with the swi-x and all the steering wheel controls work. radio and climate. The only flaw is when the direct sunlight hits the face of the radio it blocks the signal. Since I have a convertible I notice it. I just have to block the sun with my head or something once in a while. Other than that I love It.

Thanks

Oh, and Yeah, it's real easy to install.

Administrator
    Thanks

Yup, just read the directions, and they will retain the climate controls (as jpv123 said). You've just gotta connect another wire (on the PAC box) to the dark green data wire on the car.

- Myside 2 Intake manifold, Harley Davidson CV Carb, 2" exhaust, Calmini Header, XM radio, 157k (owned since Aug. 2004)

Thanks

Heh, cool then, I actually have a spare SWI-X I bought awhile ago. Just have to find it.
    Thanks!

how many features can be programmed into the aftermarket controller?
    Yeah, it's still on the road. 219,982 mi

Thanks

Up to 12.
    They're stored in non-volatile memory so battery failure won't affect it.

ex: would volume be 1, or 2? like VOL up and VOL down??? Or is that considered one function? I'd love for my fade button to become a "tune" button. Also do you need the infrared remote, or just the sensor on the unit?
    Yeah, it's still on the road. 219,982 mi

Administrator
    Thanks

Yes, you need the remote for your head unit to program it. My 'SEEK' buttons are the up and down CD track skip, TUNE buttons tune up and down. AM FM button selects the radio, MUTE mutes the radio, my fade front buttom opens my audio menu, fade right opens the function menu... you get the point. You can program them to do whatever remote function you choose. It's a really slick little unit for the price.
    Only problem I've had with my controls is it won't respond sometimes, but I think that's in the steering wheel controls themselves. After I turn the wheel I usually gain them back.

Thanks

Where's a good place to put the IR transmitter in a Cutty?
    It's line of sight, so I can't really think of a very good place.

Administrator
    Thanks

In the TGP, I mounted mine under the windshield wiper control switches. I drilled a small hole in the underside of the mount, and fit the IR transmitter in it. Can't see it, and it works great.

Depending on how much the radio sticks out from the dash, you could maybe mount it in the removable bezel that goes around the radio and cluster. When you get it programmed to work, hold the IR transmitter in several places and operate the controls, see what works and what doesn't. That's what I had to do with mine. It sucks they couldn't include a longer IR cable. I always wanted to mount mine in the lower portion of the rear view mirror.

Visitors found this page by searching for:

After market stereo cant use volume control on steering wheel 99 pontiac grand prix

how do I get Bonneville steering buttons aftermarket stereo

how to make steering wheel buttons work with aftermarket stereo

2003 regal steering wheel adapter stereo

2003 pontiac bonneville radio installation and keep steering wheel controls