Thanks

Front Strut Replacement--97 Lumina

Title says it all, I need to replace the front struts and strut bearings in my 97 Lumina. I have a terrible click/knock as I turn the wheel, and it clunk's over bumps.

I know there is a tool to get the cartridge's out. What is the tool? Where can I get it? And has anyone done the bearings before? I don't know if I can actually do this one on my own, and shops are quoting me $500 to do this.....and I just bought a house so I'd like to spend half of that if possible.

---The Cavalry---| 1975 Laguna | 1977 Chevelle | 1977 Monte Carlo |1990 Lumina | 1996 Lumina | 1997 Lumina | 1999 Lumina LS | 1999 Monte Carlo Z34 | 1999 Regal GSE | 2009 Malibu LT | 2013 Malibu LS | It's a sickness...

Thanks
    Bearings are the lower spring seat, so yeah the quote is about right since you have to R/R the entire knuckle/strut assy. The click and knock is more likely those.

To do just the cartridge, AZ rents the tool, its like a $75 deposit you get every penny back once you return it.
    -08 Kia Spectra SX -2.0L BetaII/Auto
    -02 Buick Rendezvous CXL -3.5L LX9 Swap/4t65e

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 3pt1lumina View Post
    Title says it all, I need to replace the front struts and strut bearings in my 97 Lumina. I have a terrible click/knock as I turn the wheel, and it clunk's over bumps.

I know there is a tool to get the cartridge's out. What is the tool? Where can I get it? And has anyone done the bearings before? I don't know if I can actually do this one on my own, and shops are quoting me $500 to do this.....and I just bought a house so I'd like to spend half of that if possible.
    Most auto places will rent it, as Bob mentioned. You can do this on your own, trust me. I've done it on my own, twice. The first time was when I was 17 and didn't know a damn thing about working on cars, except that I had a Haynes manual and it said I needed a strut removal tool, so I went out and rented it. Speaking of which, I would get a Haynes manual if at all possible. They are invaluable if you're new to working on this car or cars in general. If you need to replace the bearings, you'll also need a spring compressor tool. How are the struts as far as bounce go? How many miles, and have they ever been replaced? If the car bounces when you push down on it instead of leveling out, you need to replace them, but if they're fine, you don't necessarily need to replace them if you're on a budget.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    Bearings are the lower spring seat, so yeah the quote is about right since you have to R/R the entire knuckle/strut assy. The click and knock is more likely those.

To do just the cartridge, AZ rents the tool, its like a $75 deposit you get every penny back once you return it.
    The tool set can also be bought on ebay for around $60 shipped if you want to keep it. Next time I have to do struts on a 1st gen will be on my sister in law's regal, and I'll just have her pay for the tool so I can keep it as part of paying me to do the job. Speaking of lower spring seat bearings, I think mine have been on their way out for at least 30k miles now. Oops...

4. The Following User Says Thank You to xtremerevolution For This Useful Post:

RobertISaar (06-25-2010)

Thanks
    3pt1lumina, Let us know how it goes. I know I will be in the same situation
    Mods: Speedometer swap to a Tachometer Trunk Pop Switch with actuator, OEM Keyless entry installed with Doors, Trunk Pop coming soon /w FOB
    GOD DAMNIT! IF THAT DOESN'T WORK MAYBE IT'S THE CONTINUM TRANSFUNTIONAR!-5speedz34
    long story short: it has the potential to make your machine /0, and making it kill itself to avoid ending the universe. -RobertIssar

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post

WOW. I changed all four struts on a 97 GTP and I only charged $50 per strut to do it. I used the spring compressor from autozone too lol He supplied new mounts and struts so it was just labor/shop towels did I get taken on that job?
    Deia C.
    13.28sec 103MPH 1/4mi on old setup. Want 12's in 2014...
    1991 Regal GS​ -- L67 swap, S1X cam, 3.0 in pulley, 4T65-HD LSD, custom headers, 3in QTP cutout, 42.5lb injectors, Autolite 103, Fuel pump rewire 10GA, 2GA to batt & fuse box, 2GA grounds, 9005 lowbeams, custom interior, 17" ADR rims, KYB struts, Poly swaybar bushings, custom body kit and spoiler, 94+ brake upgrades, and more!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wickedbuick View Post
    WOW. I changed all four struts on a 97 GTP and I only charged $50 per strut to do it. I used the spring compressor from autozone too lol He supplied new mounts and struts so it was just labor/shop towels did I get taken on that job?
    Not necessarily. I charged $200 labor for brakes, rotors, and brake hardware on all 4 corners on an intrigue, the parts being $280. Midas quoted $850. Its different when you don't have to pay a shop to do it. You can make a killing as a garage mechanic if you have a big network of friends and family.

Thanks
    Hi,

I've got to change the strut bearings in my 98 Lumina. Can anyone offer any tips or pointers that might make this a little easier? I was planning to do the ballast joints as well since they'll be apart.
    Thanks, 33eze

Thanks
    Whoops, those are ball joints....not ballast joints.

Visitors found this page by searching for:

lumina strut tool

struts for 97 lumina

97 lumina front strut replacement

97 lumina strut replacement

chevy lumina strut replacement