Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks

2000 lumina evap system. (update 9/25/09) FIXED

Hello everyone, I was wondering if anyone can give me some tips on my 2000 lumina.
    The check engine light came on after about 50 miles and the code is a small evap leak.
    The NYSI is due next month so i want to try to repair the issue asap.
    I hate dealingwith evap problems
    Thanks to all in advance for any help
    rockfangd

Thanks

Re: 2000 lumina evap system

First thing i would try is to replace the gas cap.
    -Jim
    1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme SL | 3.1L(3100 SFI) 191ci 60 V6; 4T60E

2008 Dodge Grand Caravan SE | 3.3L V6

Thanks

quite possibly your right. Normally that is my first step but it usually never solves my problem. I will try a new cap next week. Thank you.
    Any other tips of anything common to look for?
    rockfangd

Thanks

If the gas cap doesn't work I have an idea. On my '98 lumina I had a similar situation on my car. It was an Evap problem. The code pointed to the Evap purge solenoid. What I found out is that the two plastic lines that go into the solenoid had somehow been pulled out. I just reattached them and put some electrical tape (Its the only thing I had at the time). The code went away as soon as i drove it around for a while. It has not come back since. I would check that just to see if thats the case. I have a 3100 block so I don't know if you have the 3800 or not.
    Mods: Speedometer swap to a Tachometer Trunk Pop Switch with actuator, OEM Keyless entry installed with Doors, Trunk Pop coming soon /w FOB
    GOD DAMNIT! IF THAT DOESN'T WORK MAYBE IT'S THE CONTINUM TRANSFUNTIONAR!-5speedz34
    long story short: it has the potential to make your machine /0, and making it kill itself to avoid ending the universe. -RobertIssar

Quote Originally Posted by dodgethis
    If the gas cap doesn't work I have an idea. On my '98 lumina I had a similar situation on my car. It was an Evap problem. The code pointed to the Evap purge solenoid. What I found out is that the two plastic lines that go into the solenoid had somehow been pulled out. I just reattached them and put some electrical tape (Its the only thing I had at the time). The code went away as soon as i drove it around for a while. It has not come back since. I would check that just to see if thats the case. I have a 3100 block so I don't know if you have the 3800 or not.
    x2 on the evap solenoid. i had the same problem in my 98 lumina also.
    1998 Chevy Lumina 160k miles.<br />Mods: Monte Carlo tails, dual exhaust, power trunk, reverse glow gauges and an overhead console.<br /><br />1982 Pontiac Trans Am, LG4, auto.<br /><br />

Thanks

Where is this located? I know there are 2 things near the engine, one in the front and one in the rear
    rockfangd

Thanks

if you have a 3100, the purge solenoid is toward the very middle back of the engine. I can't stick my hand back there to get it, so I had to take the coil pack off just to either remove it or look at. I will say when i put tape on the lines, I didn't have to remove anything. I was able to do on campus before class started.
    Mods: Speedometer swap to a Tachometer Trunk Pop Switch with actuator, OEM Keyless entry installed with Doors, Trunk Pop coming soon /w FOB
    GOD DAMNIT! IF THAT DOESN'T WORK MAYBE IT'S THE CONTINUM TRANSFUNTIONAR!-5speedz34
    long story short: it has the potential to make your machine /0, and making it kill itself to avoid ending the universe. -RobertIssar

Thanks

so possibly it could be the be the vacumn line that goes to the purge solenoid at the rear of the engine?
    rockfangd

Thanks

What is the code that your getting? Check behind the coil pack and make sure the lines are connecting to the solenoid.

Thanks

Re: 2000 lumina evap system(update 9/5/09)

Ok so today I changed the fuel cap so i hope this solves the problem.
    Now my question is Is it possible that the light could go off on its own? all monitors are complete and the evap problem was the only reason why The SES light came on.
    I dont really want to reset if it can go out on its own
    rockfangd

Re: 2000 lumina evap system(update 9/5/09)

Quote Originally Posted by rockfangd
    Ok so today I changed the fuel cap so i hope this solves the problem.
    Now my question is Is it possible that the light could go off on its own? all monitors are complete and the evap problem was the only reason why The SES light came on.
    I dont really want to reset if it can go out on its own
    i've had my ses light go out on it's own a couple weeks ago. when i did the a/c ion the car i had the air intake off the car with the air temp/map unplugged and the light was obviously on. i put everything back together and took it for a 5 minute or so drive and it turned right off.
    1998 Chevy Lumina 160k miles.<br />Mods: Monte Carlo tails, dual exhaust, power trunk, reverse glow gauges and an overhead console.<br /><br />1982 Pontiac Trans Am, LG4, auto.<br /><br />

Thanks

Re: 2000 lumina evap system(Update 9/9/09)

Ok so i replaced the fuel cap, cleaned the filler tube, and did a visual under the hood.
    I then reset the light.
    I only made it 25 miles before the light came right back on SOB.
    I cant get it through NYSI with this issue.
    Does anyone know an easy way to locate the source of an evap leak without paying through the ass for a smoke test?
    rockfangd

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rockfangd
    Does anyone know an easy way to locate the source of an evap leak without paying through the ass for a smoke test?
    Without paying for a smoke test, you could test signals at each part with a mulitmeter, while cross-referencing with a FSM at the precise moments.

Or you could take it to a dealer, who can hook it up to a Tech 2 and manually work each point on the evap system.

Or pay out your ass for a smoke test.
    Chris D.-
    '02 Buick Century- Wife's
    2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee- Company Car/DD

did you try changing the purge solenoid?

Thanks

Well i cannot find a used unit around here. What other vehicles would be compatible around 2000.
    Just to be sure the purge solenoid is the sensor on the rear of the engine that has a 3/4 pipe coming off of it that runs up to the front of the engine and also has 2 vacumn lines attached to it? maybe i can snap a pic. It is a PITA to get to lol
    rockfangd

Visitors found this page by searching for:

lumina evap leak

2000 Lumina check engine light

2000 lumina evap system

lumina evap system

chevy lumina evap leak