I've been on vacation for about 3 weeks and the car starts right up. With almost 260,000 miles on a 1992 Series I 3800 V6, it runs beautifully and shifts beautifully.
HOWEVER, in the last couple of days there has been a wheezing/whining sound from the engine bay (there is NO supercharger). It is related to rpms and will do it whether in drive, park or neutral, so it is apparently not related to the gears.
I am thinking:
(1) water pump starting to go - but that is more chirpy sounding, and there is no high temp nor coolant loss
(2) power steering pump starting to go - but it is full and the correct color
(3) alternator starting to go - but there are no funny readings of the volt gauge
(4) idler pully starting to go
(5) A/C compressor clutch starting to go - I've replaced one on my 84 Cutlass once and that was more of a rubbing sound
(6) a small, weird exhaust leak - but it's not a groan
original but exhaust donut at joinup with manifold replaced once
Any ideas on how to diagnose this one? It drives just fine but I don't know how much longer until this problem becomes more pronounced or if it will give more noticeable symptoms. Help!