Thanks

heater core plugged?

I just started driving my winter car and there is no heat and its hard to get it to defrost in the morning. I have had this problem with the other black tgp and it seems to have cleared up on that car.

Should I just flush the coolant or can the heater core be flushed seperately and more effectively? what would be the first thing to check here? I flush all the cars regularly and keep coolant mixtures so there should not suddenly be a bunch of corrosion

Thanks

Re: heater core plugged?

Should I just flush the coolant or can the heater core be flushed seperately and more effectively?

yes. you could disconnect the lines from both ends of the heater core, and force water from a hose to pass through it. that would clog bust it, followed by a CLR soak then flush both ways.

I do this at least once per car. Personally, I remove and manually flush flush the heater core which is actually very easy to do, if you know what you are doing. I did Psychomatt's TGP in about 30 mintues, using the removal technique. You pop the cover off, and if you have an OEM heater core, there will be releasable snap holds keeping the lines attached thge the heater core. pry them loose and an OEM heater core will come out, can be inspected and washed in the sink... hell, when i can, I fill them with CLR (or vinegar) and boil them on a stove to quicken the chemical reaction.... then flush water though till it is clean and clear. very doable. don't forget you can read a FAQ thread on heater core removal and installation, and remeber to remove the accelerator pedal if you go the remove, flush and reinstall method.

BUILDER AND DESTROYER OF FINE(?) AMERICAN CARS.

Thanks

If you're going to pull it why not just replace it?

Tony.V
    1992 Lumina Z34 |3.4L 207ci DOHC 60 V6; Getrag 284|
    1994 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP |3.4L 207ci DOHC 60 V6; Hydra-Matic 4T60E|
    1999 Chrysler 300M |3.5L 214ci SOHC 60 V6; 42LE|

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 5speedz34
    If you're going to pull it why not just replace it?
    I've pulled a dozen. only one was bad. why spend $$$$ if it is just a clog? Would you buy a new toilet before or after trying a plunger?

BUILDER AND DESTROYER OF FINE(?) AMERICAN CARS.

Visitors found this page by searching for:

grand prix heater core flush

2005 grand prix heater core flush

2008 pontiac grand prix heater core

2008 pontiac grand prix heater problems

2008 grand prix heater not working