Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thanks

My car is leaking Antifreeze

the leak is on the left front of the car. I am trying to see if it is coming from a hose but it is hard to tell. Is the water pump in that area? It seems to leak more when the car is warming up but once warmed up there is very little leaking. The car does not overheat at all and drives well. This is a 1990 Turbo Grand Prix. If it is the water pump is it a very expensive fix? I know little to nothing about cars so your help is appreciated.

Chris

Thanks

Re: My car is leaking Antifreeze

So by left front do you mean the passenger side of the car? If yes, then ya the water pump is on that side among other coolant hoses and such.
    Jeff L. :: 2nd Canadian to win COTM The Preservation for POS W-bodies Canada Chapter
    2004 Acura TSX | 2.4L I4 iVTEC; 5 Speed Auto | 1 of Many Made In '04 | 89,XXXKM
    1990 Chevrolet Lumina Euro 3.1 | 3.1L 191ci 60 V6; 440T4 | 1 of 43,912 Made In '90 | 194,XXXKM
    1985 Mazda RX-7 S | 1.1L 70ci 12A Twin Rotor RE; 5spd | 1 of 63,105 Made in '85 | 130,XXXKM

Thanks

Water pump itself is about $20-25...It's about a 20 minute fix by someone with even a limited knowledge of cars.
    Jay
    "Eh, ya know somethin' Jimmy...It's one thing to understand how to bolt aftermarket parts to your car...It's another thing entirely (opens exhaust on GN) to understand how they all..work..together!"

I may not have a W anymore, but my trucks have a lot of w-body parts.
    THE ANSWER TO 1984 IS 1776.

Thanks

Wow thanks so I wont be hit with a huge bill to get it changed if that indeed is the problem.

Chris

Thanks

Depends on what the shop charges...Many charge three times what the actual part costs and then another $75 an hour...
    Jay
    "Eh, ya know somethin' Jimmy...It's one thing to understand how to bolt aftermarket parts to your car...It's another thing entirely (opens exhaust on GN) to understand how they all..work..together!"

I may not have a W anymore, but my trucks have a lot of w-body parts.
    THE ANSWER TO 1984 IS 1776.

I don't know about on the TGPs, but I was leaking coolant on that side and it ended up being a $100 heater hose or something like that.... I think it was so expensive because its not just a standard metal or rubber hose, I dunno, I do remember GM telling my mechanic they were discontinued and there were only 3 left in Canada...
    Although when mine went I was losing enough coolant to overheat, so you might get lucky and have a broken seal or a cracked hose...

If you can, get under the car give it a good cleaning and see where the leak is coming from before you go buying random parts.

Jamie
    Can't Stand Idiots_MuNkY

1991 OLDSMOBILE CUTLASS SUPREME INTERNATIONAL - 3.4L DOHC
    1999 GMC JIMMY SLE - 4.3L, 4x4

Thanks
    Thanked 1,224 Times in 736 Posts

If you have a flashlight with blue LED's it really lights green antifreeze nicely when looking for a leak.
    Matt Shantz

'95 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Vert LQ1
    '94 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Vert LQ1
    '90 Pontiac Turbo Grand Prix #0058 of 2749
    '92 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - BAM -282 -
    1Q 2013 COTQ
    '92 Chevrolet Lumina Z34 - 284
    '88 Pontiac Fiero GT - 282
    '01 Cadillac Seville STS - Corsa
    '01 GMC Yukon Denali - GM 22's
    '98 Dodge Dakota Sport - 3.9 V6 - NV3500

Quote Originally Posted by Mach 5
    Car is machine, Matt is boss status trained precision task killer..

Thanks

Left side of the car.. that would be your heater hose that runs from the water pump, down by the passenger wheel well, up the firewall, and to your heater core. My TGP has never seen a winter and the pipe was weak from surface rust (coming from the passenger front tire) and it busted when I replaced my AC compressor last summer. Look at the bottom of that heater pipe by your passenger front wheel, I bet it is rusty and wet with coolant.
    2008 Ford Ranger XLT- 2.3 DOHC I-4 5-speed manual
    2010 Nissan Altima SR Coupe- 3.5 V6 6-speed manual

Thanks

Left side is the drivers' side, guys. The thermostat housing is over there.

If it is the passenger side, that would be the right side. There's SO much over there, that it will take some time to find the leak.

Thanks

Its in the right passenger side. Seems to stop leaking once the car is warmed up. Sprays alot while warming up than pretty much stops spraying once warmed up.

Thanks

water pump. its not a bad job
    -Rob-&nbsp; <br />00 Protege ES 5 spd - busted trans mod removed in favor of working trans<br />96 Grand Prix L67/282 - Completed! For the most part my progress thread<br />[quote author=jake63]Kudos on the waking famous people burnout. I&#39;m sure it adds a certain extra level of pleasure to the casual everyday burnout![/quote]

Thanks

Check the oil cooler hoses, etc. in that area. There are quite a few things that could leak coolant on that side.

Thanks

they key is its spraying -while cold- with no system pressure. either the wp gasket or bearing seal is done and expends when its hot and stops leaking
    -Rob-&nbsp; <br />00 Protege ES 5 spd - busted trans mod removed in favor of working trans<br />96 Grand Prix L67/282 - Completed! For the most part my progress thread<br />[quote author=jake63]Kudos on the waking famous people burnout. I&#39;m sure it adds a certain extra level of pleasure to the casual everyday burnout![/quote]

Thanks

I bought the water pump. Does the pump go inside the housing thats attached to the engine? Will I need a special tool to put the belt back on the pulley? Where can I drain the coolant at and do I have to drain all the coolant?

Chris

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shadow
    I bought the water pump. Does the pump go inside the housing thats attached to the engine? Will I need a special tool to put the belt back on the pulley? Where can I drain the coolant at and do I have to drain all the coolant?

Chris
    Here, take a look at this.. It's for the 3.4, but I used it when I did my wp on the 3100, and it's exactly the same. Just follow the steps and you'll be just fine.
    -Will

88 Fiero
    95 Lumina--SOLD
    99 Lumina LTZ -- SOLD
    02 Chrysler 300M
    06 Monte Carlo LT 3500 V6- SOLD
    06 Buick Rendezvous CXL AWD 3.6L DOHC

Visitors found this page by searching for:

my car is leaking antifreeze

why is my car leaking antifreeze

why is antifreeze leaking from my car

my antifreeze is leaking