Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Thanks

Re: Additive to quieten down piston slap??

Quote Originally Posted by Psych0matt
    restore, I like it, but I wont tell everyone to use it. Just a personal preference i guess. I've noticed more on older more beat engines than on better taken care of engines
    Agreed, my car had 105k miles and had always been well-taken care of and Restore did nothing for it. However I know it has worked miracles of some of my friends cars which have much higher mileage and have taken a beating.
    DD's:
    1997 Volvo 850 wagon - 265k miles - T5 turbo, 5spd, awd... 1 of 214

Toys:
    1987 Buick Grand National - 71k miles - Show car/garage queen... 426whp
    1995 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - 181k miles - built LQ1... turbo 3800 coming soon.

Quote Originally Posted by montecarlodude
    its odd, the monte never get's lifter tap when it's cold, just when it has been started and shut off for half an hour to one hour, then started again. i am thinking it may be a drain back problem in the filter, im useing an ACD now. i think i am going to try a napa gold oil filter next time i do my oil.
    My cam makes things more obvious. They make a little more noise as it is.
    Yeah, it's still on the road. 219,982 mi

Thanks

OMGODZOR teh FRAM!

j00 fail!

But seriously...I've never found anything to get my 3100 to quiet down completely. It's quieter with the Amsoil Synthetic I use, but it's not perfect.
    - Mike K.
    '94 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme SL 4AT - For Sale
    '00 Subaru Outback AWD 5MT - Soccer Mom Pimpin'
    '04 Mazda Mazda6s 5AT - Wife's

Its black and its rusted... I bet that failed for reasons other than being Fram (if it even is a Fram) Hence why I said post a pic of YOUR filter that failed, anyone can find a pic of a random failed filter.

Jamie
    Can't Stand Idiots_MuNkY

1991 OLDSMOBILE CUTLASS SUPREME INTERNATIONAL - 3.4L DOHC
    1999 GMC JIMMY SLE - 4.3L, 4x4

Thanks

I actually had one "fail". I purchased the Fram Duraguard several years back...after the oil change and driving around for a few minutes I noticed the oil pressure was at zero at idle. Once you were above 1200 rpm or so you had pressure again. I thought the oil pressure sensor, failed. replaced it, same thing. Changed the filter, problem fixed. 1 year later I had bearing knock. this was on a chevy 350 engine. I will never ever buy a Fram ever again...it cost me a few thousand dollars
    96 Grand Prix Coupe L67

Thanks

I just changed the oil in my car today and it was still a golden brown color. Sometimes my car will get that noise, sometimes it wont.... its strange
    Jay

1994 Oldsmobile Cultass Supreme SL
    3400/Getrag 284 5spd
    1995 Chevy K1500 350c.i. 5spd Z71
    350/NV3500 5spd
    2014 Chevrolet Malibu LS
    Stock - Daily Driver

Thanks

I would think a thicker oil would help quiet the noise. Just last weekend I changed the oil in my 94 CS. It has 158,000 miles and makes some ticking noise, not terrible, but noticable. I put 2 quarts of 10w40 and 2 quarts of 20w50 along with a bottle of STP. Yeah, it might seem a bit thick, but the 3100 in this car uses about 2 quarts of oil between changes (every 3000 miles) and is just ready for another quart at the time of the oil change. The thicker oil should help slow down oil consumption.

Also, I bought the 20w50 a couple years ago at Target for 68 cents per quart. I bought 24 or 25 quarts. I couldn't pass that deal up, especially since it was the grade of oil I was using in an old car at the time.

As for filters, I only use AC Delco. I've heard too many bad stories about Fram, and I've seen the cutaways at Carquest showing how AC's are constructed better. But I guess that doesn't mean that if you use Fram, it'll fail. If you feel comfortable with a certain brand, then that's great.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Ed
    I would think a thicker oil would help quiet the noise. Just last weekend I changed the oil in my 94 CS. It has 158,000 miles and makes some ticking noise, not terrible, but noticable. I put 2 quarts of 10w40 and 2 quarts of 20w50 along with a bottle of STP. Yeah, it might seem a bit thick, but the 3100 in this car uses about 2 quarts of oil between changes (every 3000 miles) and is just ready for another quart at the time of the oil change. The thicker oil should help slow down oil consumption.

Also, I bought the 20w50 a couple years ago at Target for 68 cents per quart. I bought 24 or 25 quarts. I couldn't pass that deal up, especially since it was the grade of oil I was using in an old car at the time.

As for filters, I only use AC Delco. I've heard too many bad stories about Fram, and I've seen the cutaways at Carquest showing how AC's are constructed better. But I guess that doesn't mean that if you use Fram, it'll fail. If you feel comfortable with a certain brand, then that's great.

Yup, thick oil is a great band-aid for serious problems. My '88 cutlass wouldn't develop shit for oil pressure at hot idle unless it was filled with 20W50. Even filled with 20W50 it was just barely above the red mark, but at least it was above. I even considered dumping in some "Motor Honey" in to thicken up the oil even more
    1988 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme International 5-speed - RIP
    1993 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme SL - 3.1L - RIP
    1997 Pontiac Sunfire SE - 2.2L
    1997 Pontiac Grand Prix SE - 3.8L - Ravaged
    1982 Kawasaki KZ550 LTD - 550CC DOHC I-4 - 50 HP @ 8,500 RPM - 6-speed

"Cocaine is a hell of a drug." -Rick James

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 5speedz34
    I wouldn't use the ACD filters. They redesigned them a year or two ago and the E-Core filter in them suck. They sometimes fail.

I'd like to know how they fail because I use E-Core filters exclusively.

Visitors found this page by searching for:

how to quiet piston slap

additive for piston slap

piston slap additivequiet piston slappiston slap symptoms