Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thanks

Re: Plastic elbow leaking water

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dee Dee
    remove the belt tensioner/heater bypass
    I pulled the alternator to get to the tensioner plate and can't figure out how to get the whole assembly off.

Thanks

Did the Dealership sell you a new lower tensioner o-ring?
    1996 Buick Regal 3800 stock.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ron350
    No what is that?

Thanks

Replacing coolant elbow.

You have to remove the alternator and the tensioner assembly to replase the coolant elbow in your Regal.
    98 and newer 3800II use 2 coolant elbows as shown in the picture. 95 to 97 3800II only use one elbow.

You should have coolant elbow part #25403423 with two orange o-rings.

I don’t have the GM part # for the lower tensioner o-ring but the Felpro # is #93694.
    Parker o-ring size 2-117

After you remove the alternator you will have two ½”headed black bolts still holding the tensioner on.
    One bolt will be below the tensioner pully and the other will be just above the power steering fill cap.
    Remove those two bolts and wiggle and pull the tensioner towards you and off.

Now you will need to remove any pieces of plastic that might of broken off the old elbow and still be in the lower intake manifold.
    Also clean up the hole in the aluminum timing cover.
    When you have every thing cleaned up remove the o-rings from the new elbow and the one one the tensioner and do a test assembly.
    The last thing you want to do is crack or bugger up the hole in the timing cover.
    When you do the final assembly smear a little RTV on each o-ring and every thing will slide into place.

Thanks

Thanks for the picture. I knew what the lower o ring was once I got the tensioner plate off. I did get the piece that broke off out of the tensioner hole but I can't get the piece out of the intake manifold. I know there is a piece in there because I used a screw driver to pop that piece loose and it shot it inside the manifold. I used a mirror and I can't see it and with my fingers I can't feel it. So how do I get it out or will it be ok if I leave it in there?

Thanks

Wow, all I can think of is using a shop-vac and try to suck it out or pull the chunk back in front of the hole.

I tape a piece of heater hose in the end of the shop-vac hose to get in tight places.

Thanks

excellent posts Ron. i couldn't have put it better.

as for the chunk that went back into the manifold......... i wouldnt leave it in there. are you sure it went back in there? it would have to have broken into smaller pieces to do that.
    00 GTP - mine | 05 Mariner - hers | 95 F150 - ours?

Thanks

Yep it went back in there. I did manage to get the O ring out and I trying to get the plastic piece out but I managed to shove it back in there further. The plastic piece is a hard piece so hopefully it won't come thru the elbow.

Quote Originally Posted by Independentfool
    excellent posts Ron. i couldn't have put it better.

as for the chunk that went back into the manifold......... i wouldnt leave it in there. are you sure it went back in there? it would have to have broken into smaller pieces to do that.

I've had them break off inside the manifold and fall inside like what has happend to you. It was easy for cause i had to pull the intake anyway to replace the gaskets, So i took off the small plate on the opposite end of the manifold and was able to fish it out that end. You could also try to jack up the car to one side and try to get it to come back to one end.
    90 Grand Prix Mcclaren

Thanks

I did finally get the piece out of the intake. A combination of pliers, shop vac and grabbers. I also went and got an o ring for the lower tensioner from AZ. It's a little big but I put lots of RTV on that o ring and the bypass elbow so hopefully everything will stay sealed. I let it run for 10 minutes and no leaks. :knock on wood:

Thanks everybody for all the help and hopefully someday I will be able to help someone as well.

Thanks

I got this from the dealership and thought it might come in handy for reference for someone.

Visitors found this page by searching for:

3800 bypass tube

http:www.w-body.comshowthread.php33855-Plastic-elbow-leaking-water

3800 bypass elbow

3800 plastic elbow

gm 3800 water leak