Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thanks

No Start, no crank

94 C/S 3100.
    Turn the key, everything powers up as it should, but it won't start.. won't crank.. nothing. No clicking from the starter at all, just dead silence.
    When I'm lucky, I can turn it off, then back on and all is well. After work today, I turned the key and held it there. I got nothing for a few seconds, then it cranked and started like nothing was wrong. A few times I've tried for 5 minutes to start it and it won't.. I let it sit for awhile and then it starts fine.
    Can the starter sporadically act up like that?? There is no corrosion on the thing and the connections are tight. I haven't traced the wires back though. Battery is fine. Or is it in the ignition switch? I don't have a lot of cash right now to start throwing things at it. I pulled the starter out of a parts car I have here, but I don't want to put it in unless I'm fairly sure. I know if I have it taken in and tested, it's gonna act fine. Any ideas?
    .. somebody at General Motors must know how to design a turn signal stalk that feels more like a knife in butter than a snapping tree branch.

Thanks

Re: No Start, no crank

Quote Originally Posted by supreme_style21
    94 C/S 3100.
    Turn the key, everything powers up as it should, but it won't start.. won't crank.. nothing. No clicking from the starter at all, just dead silence.
    When I'm lucky, I can turn it off, then back on and all is well. After work today, I turned the key and held it there. I got nothing for a few seconds, then it cranked and started like nothing was wrong. A few times I've tried for 5 minutes to start it and it won't.. I let it sit for awhile and then it starts fine.
    Can the starter sporadically act up like that?? There is no corrosion on the thing and the connections are tight. I haven't traced the wires back though. Battery is fine. Or is it in the ignition switch? I don't have a lot of cash right now to start throwing things at it. I pulled the starter out of a parts car I have here, but I don't want to put it in unless I'm fairly sure. I know if I have it taken in and tested, it's gonna act fine. Any ideas?
    Mine has always kinda done that, but not that severely. I think its an ignition lock cylinder issue. When I turn my security lights on (which are tied into the ignition lock cylinder) the problem gets worse.
    Robby Whitesell
    2006 Pontiac G6 GT - 3500 V6

1985 Toyota Pickup DLX - 2WD - 2.4L I4

Thanks

Maybe the starter solenoid is on its way out?

If you turn the key forward and then jump the leads of the starter with a screwdriver does it work?
    I'm just trying to think of things to check before you dig into the steering column...that's up there with some of my least favorite jobs to do on a vehicle

Common cause for this problem is this: As the starter gets older, the brushes inside hang up. When this happens, the starting circuit is not completed, so nothing happens. Generally, a little whack on the starter will then allow the brushes to drop down and complete the circuit.

In other words, pretty soon it's time to R & R the starter.

Thanks

Sounds more like a VATS system that is on its way out...
    Brian - Carpe Diem
    I dont have to love my president, or any god, to love my country!!
    More people have died in the name of "God" than in all wars combined thruout history..
    90 Pontiac ASC McLaren Turbo Grand Prix 124k- SOLD!
    01 Pontiac Aztek GT VersaTrak 101k - 04 GMC Envoy XUV SLT V8 131k

Thanks

If you jump the starter, she just sparks like a bitch, no action. But, it DID start after that little shock.
    I thought the VATS maybe, but if that was going bad, wouldn't it kill the fuel pump for a bit? I'm not even getting it to turn over, so I am sure the vats is fine.
    .. somebody at General Motors must know how to design a turn signal stalk that feels more like a knife in butter than a snapping tree branch.

Sounds more and more like what I said earlier. If you give it a whack does it crank then?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DOHCRagtopguy
    Sounds more and more like what I said earlier. If you give it a whack does it crank then?
    I haven't got the chance to whack it yet.. hmm.

It's been starting fine since it acted up yesterday. I've got some stuff in the car, just in case.. we'll find out.

Thanks

Starter or Vats.

I know for me it was a starter but I had a '92 w/o Vats.

Tony.V
    1992 Lumina Z34 |3.4L 207ci DOHC 60 V6; Getrag 284|
    1994 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP |3.4L 207ci DOHC 60 V6; Hydra-Matic 4T60E|
    1999 Chrysler 300M |3.5L 214ci SOHC 60 V6; 42LE|

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DOHCRagtopguy
    Common cause for this problem is this: As the starter gets older, the brushes inside hang up. When this happens, the starting circuit is not completed, so nothing happens. Generally, a little whack on the starter will then allow the brushes to drop down and complete the circuit.

In other words, pretty soon it's time to R & R the starter.
    try getting under it take a wrench and tap the starter a few times if that doesnt work then i would say its the VATS
    Clinton i cant spell...deal with it!!!!!
    89 Cutlass Supreme--R.I.P.
    05 Grand Prix GT
    96 Mustang 302 v8 5spd
    97 Ford Aspire

Thanks

It'd only be a VATS issue if the SECURITY light flashes. I'm guessing it's either the battery cables, or the Park/Neutral safety switch. Try starting the car with it in Neutral (or while you move the shifter through the gear range) and see if she'll go.

It is possible the ignition switch is out of alignment, but I agree with the consensus that there's a few more things to rule out before dropping the column...

Kevin B.
    2004 Chevy Impala 3400 V6 - Color: Victory Red

1999 Chevy Tahoe 5.7 Vortec V8 - Color: You guessed it, Victory Red!

Thanks

For clarification, I didn't mean just randomly jump the connections on the starter...

I meant, jump it so that the positive from the battery touches the positive on the solenoid (since you don't get a click or anything)...it should just click...and I think begin trying to start the motor.

good call on the Safety switch...does it start differently if you push the gear selector to an extreme in the given gear..I.E. put it in park and put pressure on the selector towards or away from the dash

as far as vats goes...you haven't said either way, does the security light come on?

Since its been working better after messing with the starter, I would think you should be looking more at the starter than any of the other causes though

Thanks

The security light comes on during its normal "check" at initial startup, but never after that.
    I never thought of the neutral safety switch.. good call.
    Just this afternoon, the doors locked immediately after I started the car... they aren't supposed to lock until it is put thru 'R'... I have no idea if its related, or if its just a once-in-a-lifetime goof that just happened. With these cars, you never know. I'll have to see if it acts up again tomorrow. It has, however, refused to start these past couple days, but it always comes around after a few turns of the key. Took me 5 or 6 tries after work today... almost thought it wasn't gonna start at all. I won't have time to swap out starters until this weekend.

Thanks

Is the remote postive battery terminal nut securely tightened?

Thanks

So this is kinda funny. My starter finally didn't work today. It had always done as Justin mentioned, but not as severe. Anyway, today, it was hot and turned the car off for a few minutes before going out to supper. Go to start it back, nothing. I knew what it was right then. Went in a friends car to supper and got a new starter for 2002 Malibu and came back to the car and started right up. Definitely heat soaking was the issue. So, I'm gonna see how fast I can replace a starter motor tonight.
    Robby Whitesell
    2006 Pontiac G6 GT - 3500 V6

1985 Toyota Pickup DLX - 2WD - 2.4L I4

Visitors found this page by searching for:

2007 pontiac g6 wont start

pontiac g6 wont start

2003 grand am no crank

2003 pontiac grand am no crank

2002 chevy tahoe wont crank