Surging under load?

Hello all,

I have a 2000 Grand Prix GT that I use for my daily commuting but lately it has begun to surge when I am in a light to mid acceleration (Usually between 1700 and 2200 RPM) you can actually watch the tach jump back and forth 200, 300 and sometimes 400 rpm. I don’t think that this is a fuel problem because when I hammer on the throttle the car drops a gear and before I know it I have more than exceeded the speed limit (I also just changed the fuel filter). The car doesn’t misfire, just changed the plugs and wires about 4 months ago, and it doesn’t really feel like a misfire when it occurs. (most noticeable when climbing a hill)

Just thought some one may have had a similar problem with the 3800 series engines.

Any thoughts would be of a big help (and may prevent me from burning the car out of frustration)

Rob
    Rob

Thanks

Re: Surging under load?

Try cleaning your MAF. its quick, cheap and easy to do. MAF cleaner only(dont use TB or carb cleaner), and you'll need security torx bits to pull it.
    do you have a k&n air filter? if so, some of the oil can coat the MAF which will cause it to read funny.
    If its not this, it may be the TPS.
    00 GTP - mine | 05 Mariner - hers | 95 F150 - ours?

Hey

Thanks man, I removed the throttle body and cleaned everything up, tested the TPS and reset the computer. So far it has done the trick , drove 60 miles with no surging! Hopefully this keeps up

Thanks again
    Rob

Thanks

Could also be a problem with your torque converter clutch.....slipping and catching.......if you crowd the TCC up hill, the Beretta's 4T60-E does it.....lightly hold the brake with your left foot to kick the TCC off...rpms rise and it goes away.
    -2007 Saturn Sky Redline M5<br />-2007 Chevrolet Silverado Classic 2500HD 6.0/A4<br />-2006 Chevrolet Impala SS<br />-1996 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 Hardtop M6<br />-1996 Chevrolet Beretta 3400<br />-ASE Master Technician with ASE Advanced Engine Performance and Under Car Certification

Thanks

ok so i have a question. when i am driving my 94 cutty especially uphill and i am going a steady speed like 45mph with 1500 rpms and i hit the gas nothing really changes. after a bit of delay the rpms pick up and the car picks up speed. it does this anytime i am doing a steady speed . When i hit the gas from a stop i can really spin the tires but when im driving and i hit the gas it doesnt pick up speed as well as i believe it should. its a 3100 though

[attachment deleted by admin] Removed to free up storage space.
    rockfangd

Thanks

You are feeling the TCC unlock.
    -2007 Saturn Sky Redline M5<br />-2007 Chevrolet Silverado Classic 2500HD 6.0/A4<br />-2006 Chevrolet Impala SS<br />-1996 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 Hardtop M6<br />-1996 Chevrolet Beretta 3400<br />-ASE Master Technician with ASE Advanced Engine Performance and Under Car Certification

Thanks

is this normal, and if its not what do i do to fix it
    rockfangd

Lurker
    Thanks

I am having a similar issue as the thread starter here is having.

I personally believe it's the transmission with mine. I took it to the shop, however it wouldn't do it for them.

The tranny guy swears that if the tranny starts slipping, I will get an SES light. Till then he doesn't believe anything I tell him.
    http://www.spudfiles.com
    Blast vegetables and whatever else you can think of! :laugh:

1996 3500GP Coupe, "Bright White"
    3500 swap, 60degreeV6 1393 Grind Cam, Ported Intakes, Comp Cams Valve Springs, 65mm TB, Custom Pushrods, S&S Headers, 97 PCM with DHP Powrtuner, 2.5"; back to dual Hooker Aerochambers, SS Brake Lines, Addco Swaybar, KYB's, Intrax Springs, STB's, etc!

Thanks

yeah well what mechanics dont realize is that no 2 cars are alike
    rockfangd

Visitors found this page by searching for:

2006 chevy impala surging

2000 impala surging

2000 impala surges

2006 chevy impala surges

surging under load