Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thanks

Frozen AC pulley

I just picked up a 95 GP with the 3.1. Due to the AC pulley being frozen I had to bypass it with a shorter belt. How do I tell if its the clutch or pulley bearing that has gone bad? Am I better off just replacing the whole compressor?
    Only so many dare to brave the W-body. For the rest there are Honda's.

Thanks

Re: Frozen AC pulley

I would say yes buy a new one if you want ac. If not i would say gut the ac and have a free pump. Not hooked to anything/nothing in itthen put stock belt on it. Wont hurt anything if you do that just NO AC. So ya
    Clinton i cant spell...deal with it!!!!!
    89 Cutlass Supreme--R.I.P.
    05 Grand Prix GT
    96 Mustang 302 v8 5spd
    97 Ford Aspire

Thanks

Where is the best place to get an Ac compressor, or does it not really matter? I am thinking reman to keep the cost down. I know I also need the orifice tube and drier.

Umm it might just be the AC clutches and that can be fixed. Is there a whining sound when the car is on.
    Mathew Smith <br />2009 Yamaha R6 - I love gold!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 97loudcut
    Umm it might just be the AC clutches and that can be fixed. Is there a whining sound when the car is on.
    The car wouldnt even crank with the AC connected. I had to bypass the AC to get the car to start. Guy I bought it said it was making noise, but he hasn't driven it much lately and it froze up. Can you get the pulley and clutch off without emptying the system? I only have time and $$$ to fix this thing once. These things are already R134 right?

I know its like $200 to fix the clutches
    Mathew Smith <br />2009 Yamaha R6 - I love gold!

Thanks

95' is a little early for R134A. It is PROBABLY R12. Check the stickers under the hood.

How the hell did you bypass the a/c compressor? I tried on a 92' Lumina with a 3.1L and the back of the belt wouldn't touch the water pump pulley....
    1992 Chevrolet Lumina Euro 2Dr.<br />3.1L V6 - 4T60 Automatic - Delete LOL<br />L67 Transplant/Resto project <br />Codename: Lumina SS<br /><br />Too many new parts to list...<br /><br />1994 Chevrolet Lumina Euro 4Dr. (Lemme upgrade ya)<br />3.1L V6 - 4T60-E<br />Gray on Gray Cloth<br /><br />Bearer of its forefathers engine, the 93&#039; Lumina lives on!<br /><br />1993 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme SL 2Dr.<br />1991 Cradle &amp; Drivetrain 3.1L V6 - 4T60<br />Black on Black Leather<br /><br />Mods - Fully functioning 1991 UB3, E/M wired to HVAC

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RJansen658
    95' is a little early for R134A. It is PROBABLY R12. Check the stickers under the hood.
    No, I believe '95 was either the cutoff, or shortly after the cutoff. Even my old '95 Neon had R134A. My GP sure as hell does.
    John C. Wallace

1991 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - LQWIN! - 284 5-speed - Pioneer 9800bt - Keepin' the Early 90's alive!
    1993 Pontiac Grand Prix SE - LHSl0W - 4T60E - Fly Against A Window
    2000 Pontiac Bonneville SSEi - L67 3800 Supercharged - 4T65E-HD - Cruiser

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RJansen658

How the hell did you bypass the a/c compressor? I tried on a 92' Lumina with a 3.1L and the back of the belt wouldn't touch the water pump pulley....
    The bypass was easy. I pulled the old belt wrapped string around the pulleys not including the AC and bought a new belt. Think it was a 64K or something. I looked and didnt see any stickers or R134 fittings either. Where are they?

Thanks

r12 to r134 conversion was done during the 94 model year.

Fittings are almost out of view, on the tubes along the drivers side body rail, below and to the rear of the airbox.

BUILDER AND DESTROYER OF FINE(?) AMERICAN CARS.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,074 Times in 755 Posts

why not just leave it bypassed unless you really want ac, in which case you have all winter to find parts or fix it
    '92 5 speed GTP - Mod list _____ '04 Grand Prix GT - Daily Driver

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Psych0matt
    why not just leave it bypassed unless you really want ac, in which case you have all winter to find parts or fix it
    Exactly. I want AC. I do too much driving during the summer here in Atlanta to go without. Did it this past summer and don't want to repeat that. Will get the system evacuated and replace the compressor this winter before it gets to cold.

Thanks

I ordered a reman compressor from Ebay for $120 including 1 year warranty. Should have it in a few days.

Thanks

Sounds good. I didn't see this thread earlier, but I'm sure the problem was the bearing. Too many proprietary tools required to replace just the bearings, so yeah, getting a replacement is the best way to go.

Those recommending to go without AC are freakin' nuts. No AC in Georgia? Yeah, right! Even when I was up in ND and Canada during the summer, I needed the AC!

Bri-Guy- im having this same problem! my a/c clutch was bad and i hadn't replaced it yet. last night the belt broke and when i put new one on the car wouldn't start. come to find out it was because the a/c pully had locked up completely. im wondering how you bypassed it? i have a 1997 grand prix gtp supercharged. thanks!

Visitors found this page by searching for:

frozen ac pulley

how to bypass air conditioner on a 1997 grand prix gtp

frozen ac compressor pulley

ac pulley frozen

ac pulley froze