Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thanks

High RPM, doesn't shift into next gear

Well, as a few of you said, and I suspected, tranny fluid was a bit dirty. Picked up a new filter and tranny fluid today, so I'll probably get that done Saturday afternoon, as long as the weather holds up atleast.
    Chris D.-
    '02 Buick Century- Wife's
    2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee- Company Car/DD

Thanks

My transmission fluid was much dirtier than I had originally thought. And this transmission only has about 30,000 miles on it, so I'm really suprised. But, I am to assume this is due to the high revs, and more power than stock flowing through it.

The tranny pan was also pretty scratched up, none piercing through, but definately some scratches that dented the pan that were visible.

No update if this is helped or not yet, but I should have an answer within the next few days. I kinda want to get a few miles on it before I get on it.
    Chris D.-

Thanks

Wow, totally forgot to update this.

Changed the fluid and filter. Fluid was much dirtier than I had originally thought. No significant flakes or anything, so that was good. New fluid and filter helped the shift a little.

But no fix.

Bought a new adjustable vac. modulator, and it came with the small amount of soft vac. line as well. When I pulled mine off, my vac. line was completely cracked through. Put the new one on along with the line, and went for a drive. The shift was improved.

But no fix for the high rev shift.

Next plan of action is to get the fluid flushed. There may be something clogging up the valvebody preventing it to shift properly when it is flowing that much fluid.
    Chris D.-

Thanks

Another update for anyone that cares:

Adjusted the vac. modulator with no luck. It did firm up the shifts a bit more, so I am happy about that, but thats about it.

Guess I will take it to a trans shop for a free estimate.
    Chris D.-

mine would do that on occasion with the 1-2 shift at WOT. It wasn't electrical, and never got around to diagnosing it further. I think it was a pressure-related problem since the failure of the transmission was a gradual loss of pressure, and I found the pump shaft damaged at the bearing (common thing to happen) any other problems besides that?
    Yeah, it's still on the road. 219,982 mi

Thanks

Nope, not really. Normal driving is fine.

Heres a good break down of the symptoms:

Around 6000 rpm, the trans will slip or fall out of gear. It engine will continue to rev to the limiter, but will just bouce off of it. Once I let off of the gas and it falls to a lower rpm, it will fall or go back into gear.

Normal shifting is fine, no slipping, no other problems.

Along with your thoughts on a pump, i've also thought of one of the balls in the valve body getting stuck, or else something blocking a passage in the transmission itself.
    Chris D.-

Thanks

Can someone elaborate on weaken tranny pump details? it may be a problem one of my cars has. my 91 vert... it won;'t go unless pushed in gear of lifted, operated in gear while in the air, and then dropped... It can even be off when dropped, it's just the very first time you try to move the car cold.

BUILDER AND DESTROYER OF FINE(?) AMERICAN CARS.

Around 6000 rpm, the trans will slip or fall out of gear. It engine will continue to rev to the limiter, but will just bouce off of it. Once I let off of the gas and it falls to a lower rpm, it will fall or go back into gear
    It is the MLPS..Manual Lever Position Sensor, which also acts as the neutral safety switch. It would throw a code when it goes, which would read "Park Range Switch Error" or something. Those same symptoms happened to me and that's what it was.
    1994 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme SL "N2Oldsmobile" - R.I.P.
    2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP Coupe - Traded
    2006 Pontiac GTO 6.0 A4 - Traded
    2003 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP LE - The Family Car
    - ZZP Intake - ZZP 3" DP - GMPP STB's w/ Donrome Brackets - ZZP Plog - Aeroforce - 17x7.5 Bonneville Mesh Wheels - More to come!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 94CutlassXtreme
    Around 6000 rpm, the trans will slip or fall out of gear. It engine will continue to rev to the limiter, but will just bouce off of it. Once I let off of the gas and it falls to a lower rpm, it will fall or go back into gear
    It is the MLPS..Manual Lever Position Sensor, which also acts as the neutral safety switch. It would throw a code when it goes, which would read "Park Range Switch Error" or something. Those same symptoms happened to me and that's what it was.
    I guess I could scan my codes, but there is no SES light flashing, so I am assuming it is fine.
    Chris D.-

Thanks

Another question thats making me think my trans is going. When you first pull into my driveway, the first part in front of the house is about at a 30* angle going uphill. Now, there are times that I am forced to park on this hill due to my driveway being full of vehicles. Now my question is, when I am able to pull forward into my driveway, I move my gear selector from park to drive, shouldn't the transmission being in drive prevent the vehicle from rolling backwards? This is just at idle, not talking about anything over 900 rpm here.
    Chris D.-

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by slick94prix
    ...when I am able to pull forward into my driveway, I move my gear selector from park to drive, shouldn't the transmission being in drive prevent the vehicle from rolling backwards? This is just at idle, not talking about anything over 900 rpm here.
    no, it would not. need I elaborate? the hill is steep enough to overcome the idling car in drive. It will probably do the same when the car is warm if you did the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy K
    Can someone elaborate on weaken tranny pump details? it may be a problem one of my cars has. my 91 vert won't go unless pushed in gear or lifted, operated in gear while in the air, and then dropped... It can even be off when dropped, it's just the very first time you try to move the car cold.

BUILDER AND DESTROYER OF FINE(?) AMERICAN CARS.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,646 Times in 907 Posts

so your saying that if your in drive and on a hill with the nose faceing up it will roll backwards if you let off the brake?

if thats what your asking then, its perfectly normal for it to do that. mine does.
    -Chris D. - Your Community Manager

1992 Chevrolet Lumina Z34 3.4L TDC v6 Getrag 284
    1990 Pontiac Turbo Grand Prix 3.1L v6 Hydramatic 4T60
    1997 Pontiac Bonneville SSE Supercharged 3.8L v6, Hydramatic 4T60E
    1987 Chevrolet Camaro Z28/IROC-Z 5.0L v8, Hydramatic 700R4

Thanks

Alright, thats what I assumed. Just seemed wierd that in my mom's '97 Avalon, her vehicle doesn't roll backwards.
    Chris D.-

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by White93z34
    so your saying that if your in drive and on a hill with the nose faceing up it will roll backwards if you let off the brake?

if thats what your asking then, its perfectly normal for it to do that. mine does.
    It depends on how steep the hill is, it shouldn't roll back if it isn't that steep, it should stay still. If it is really steep then it will roll back.
    '96 Lumina LQ1 - MSD Ignition, Magnaflow CatBack, Royal Purple Fluids, E3 Plugs, rebuilt trans
    '92 Lumina Z34 - WOT-TECH Chip, WAI, Flowmaster 40's, Royal Purple Fluids 59,000km
    '11 Sierra SLE - 4.8L Vortec V8, 12,300km, Volant Cold Air Intake, Royal Purple Fluids
    '01 Cavalier Z24 - 2.4L Twin Cam, 5speed, XLerator Turbo Muffler, Royal Purple Fluids

Visitors found this page by searching for:

car wont shift at high rpm

car wont shift until high rpm

rpm doesnt go down

car wont shift into next gear

my car wont shift into 3rd gear