Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thanks

thud noise from left rear side

yesterday, when I was at work (delivering pizza), I began to hear a thud/knocking noise coming from the rear of the car. it seems to be coming from the driver's side, and it makes this noise when any time i go over a relatively large bump or dip in the road. it also makes noise when making a LEFT turn, but not when i make a RIGHT turn. any ideas? i think these shitty East Toledo roads are beginning to take a toll on old lum ops: .
    <br />1993 Lumina Euro, 134K, everything stock except for a remote car starter (and keyless entry)

Thanks

it's either a bad strut or a strut mount. you might want to check on that. I'm not sure if that would effect the left turn noise or not.
    - Mike K.
    '94 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme SL 4AT - For Sale
    '00 Subaru Outback AWD 5MT - Soccer Mom Pimpin'
    '04 Mazda Mazda6s 5AT - Wife's

my dad's car is doing the same thing although the strut and strut mount are brand new...just put some washers under the bolt heads (they are not stock bolts) this morning and it still does it...

Ours doesn't do it on left turns, but the suspension jumps around violently when it hits potholes...its only the driver's side rear suspension.
    2004 Chevrolet Colorado ZQ8 Extended Cab 3.5 I-5 5-speed<br />K&amp;N FIPK, Flowmaster 40 muffer...lots of power and really loud<br />1970 Plymouth Duster 360 4-speed - project<br />1994 Cutlass Supreme Convertible 3.4 DOHC -Dad&#39;s Toy

Thanks

inspect everything. puch upa nad donw onf the car and listen for the noise location... jack it up and take the wheel off.... inspect everything.... lateral stabilizer bars, trailing arm (I saw a regal with one whose body had rusted and the front body mount area of the trailing arm had seperated from the body!

I had such a clunk once, it was because the rear sway bar had pulled out of it;s mount on the strut.

BUILDER AND DESTROYER OF FINE(?) AMERICAN CARS.

Thanks

My clunking is bad rear struts. Prior to this was a broken trailering arm (both freakin sides went at 2 different times)... Friend's 93 Regal the other night we broke the strut mount... Best guess is to jack the car up, inspect for anything that looks broken...and if nothing does, it's the struts or maybe a dry bushing.

---The Cavalry---| 1975 Laguna | 1977 Chevelle | 1977 Monte Carlo |1990 Lumina | 1996 Lumina | 1997 Lumina | 1999 Lumina LS | 1999 Monte Carlo Z34 | 1999 Regal GSE | 2009 Malibu LT | 2013 Malibu LS | It's a sickness...

Thanks

You didn't hit then drag anyone, right?

J/k----- sounds like a strut mount......

My car is making the same Clunk / Thud sound. I have a bad strut, it is leaking. I am going to go ahead and redo all of my struts and whatnot should be interesting lol.

anyone have any good tips on how to replace these in my 91 Lumina Euro?
    1991 Lumina Euro 3.1 Vin T TH125c<br />custom dual flowmaster exhaust<br />clear corners<br />Needs a new engine old one seperated a piston from the rod, probably has block damage <br />She&#039;s decommisoned<br /><br />--------------------------------------------------<br /><br />[quote author=93z34 link=topic=45741.msg547358#msg547358 date=1150080157]<br />I would like to keep in mind that I plan on adding about 7 more neons in the interior... you&#039;d be amazed what a light show does to the horniness of a high female&nbsp; <br />[/quote]

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NeonKnight
    Check the FAQ section:
    http://www.w-body.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=32934

Here's what can happen if you neglect a worn out upper strut mount:

The piston completely slid out of the mount and caused the wheel to lean out sideways when I took a right turn.

Be sure to replace the mounts when you replace the struts!!!

Kevin B.
    2004 Chevy Impala 3400 V6 - Color: Victory Red

1999 Chevy Tahoe 5.7 Vortec V8 - Color: You guessed it, Victory Red!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoStudd
    Quote Originally Posted by NeonKnight
    Check the FAQ section:
    http://www.w-body.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=32934

MMMmnnnnn , That does look familiar

Thanks

That's exactly what we just did on my buddy's 93 Regal. PITA when the damn bolts break off inside the body.

---The Cavalry---| 1975 Laguna | 1977 Chevelle | 1977 Monte Carlo |1990 Lumina | 1996 Lumina | 1997 Lumina | 1999 Lumina LS | 1999 Monte Carlo Z34 | 1999 Regal GSE | 2009 Malibu LT | 2013 Malibu LS | It's a sickness...

Thanks

FALSE ALARM!!! lol. strut? strut mount? naw! turns out the brake line that runs to the passenger's side rear wheel became detached from the undercarriage of the car over by that left wheel. this caused it to slam into the underside of the car when i went over a bump. i ghetto-rigged it with a sponge to soften the noise, and its all good now! thanks for the help anyways.
    <br />1993 Lumina Euro, 134K, everything stock except for a remote car starter (and keyless entry)

I have to replace a rear strut mount in my 92 z34. What special tool do i have to use to hold the monoleaf spring in place while pulling the strut out to replace the strut mount?

Quote Originally Posted by chadwick609
    I have to replace a rear strut mount in my 92 z34. What special tool do i have to use to hold the monoleaf spring in place while pulling the strut out to replace the strut mount?
    A floor jack...no kidding

just put the floor jack under the trailing arm and support it slightly and all will be fine while you are changing the struts
    2004 Chevrolet Colorado ZQ8 Extended Cab 3.5 I-5 5-speed<br />K&amp;N FIPK, Flowmaster 40 muffer...lots of power and really loud<br />1970 Plymouth Duster 360 4-speed - project<br />1994 Cutlass Supreme Convertible 3.4 DOHC -Dad&#39;s Toy

no need to be smart about it. how am i supposed to know

dude...wasn't trying to sound smart...but i know even a cheapo haynes manual makes most stuff on these cars easy

Visitors found this page by searching for:

car makes thudding banging noise on back left

chevy impala 2000 rear struts

knocking sound at rear suspenion of 98 chevy lumina 3.1

thud noise from rear wheel

1994 regal rear strut bracket