Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thanks

How hard to replace a rocker panel?

Hey Toro, you think your steps may work for some rear wheel wells?
    Chris D.-
    '02 Buick Century- Wife's
    2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee- Company Car/DD

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by firefighter_0029
    You guys are crazy as hell??? They make a rocker that slips on and you can just rivit it if you want. I spot welded mine but rivit will hold up just as good.

No bondo or fiberglass that will just bubble and fall off in a couple of years and defineatly not spray foam.. Gees.

JC Whitney has them for $35. I talked to another guy from Smeal's (an auto body supplier here in PA) He has them for $42 so i'm sure they have them in your area just go to a junkyard thet sells new body parts.
    I didn't want anything that would rust again. , and I don't think mine will be "falling off" anytime soon. My car doesn't have any foam in it... the foam was just there to make the basic shape of the rockerpanel while i fiberglassed. I do like your suggestion though, because it would have been nice to have a metal replacment that i could have treated so that it would have never rusted. I did the same thing with my fenders, I coated the inside surface with glass to prevent rust.....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by slick94prix
    Hey Toro, you think your steps may work for some rear wheel wells?
    I dont see any reason why it wouldn't. It's come out great on everything I've tried it on...

And my stuff hasn't fallen off yet either, and I'm not expecting it to. It's people who dont know how to use it, or buy the cheapest shit around that give filler and fiberglass a bad reputation. You can get some really nice results if you take your time, and PREP PREP PREP.
    2003 sts<br />1996 camaro ss 6 speed<br />1966 442 4 speed

Thanks

I don't think filler and fiberglass is the best to use, because eventually where the other material is bonded to the metal will develop tiny cracks allowing moisture to get in. Rusting will be accelerated in that area, kind of like when rust starts forming behind paint.

Although... I don't think most people on here keep their cars that long for it to matter.

I've also found that pop/beer can boxes work well. I patched the rocker panels on my '88 with a Diet Pepsi box to back up the filler, and it came out real nice. I actually had to rebuild the lower part of the driver's side front fender and I actually had it done so well i drilled it and re-fastened the mudflaps! lol

That was pretty close to 200,000 miles and it had been through 15 Northwestern Pennsylvania winters, so i really wasn't mad about it. Suprsingly, the underbody on that car looked almost new
    2004 Chevrolet Colorado ZQ8 Extended Cab 3.5 I-5 5-speed<br />K&amp;N FIPK, Flowmaster 40 muffer...lots of power and really loud<br />1970 Plymouth Duster 360 4-speed - project<br />1994 Cutlass Supreme Convertible 3.4 DOHC -Dad&#39;s Toy

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GnatGoSplat
    I don't think filler and fiberglass is the best to use, because eventually where the other material is bonded to the metal will develop tiny cracks allowing moisture to get in. Rusting will be accelerated in that area, kind of like when rust starts forming behind paint.

Although... I don't think most people on here keep their cars that long for it to matter.
    I don't know... Like I said before I started with the glass and everything I coated the entire area with POR-15. THEN I started with the temp foam, and fiberglass...

Doesn't really matter... If I had to do it over again... I would buy the metal set, and just rustproof the shit outta that....

Suprsingly, the underbody on that car looked almost new
    Mine too , it was just the rockers... isn't that weird?

Banned
    Thanks

haha i could redo the rockers on my car if I wanted, just have to prime them, no paint, cause you cant see em! go B4U!

You guys can do to your cars whatever you like. All I'm saying is that W-Body's are Uni-Bodies and the rocker is a pretty good structure of it. I'm suprised it doesn't crack?

Just an FYI:
    I've sent alot of Regals and Grand Prix's to there final resting place and all of them didn't have any rockers left under the side skirts. And you the ones with astro roofs didn't have any quarters left behind the doors either because the roof had nowhere for the water to go. Another bad GM disign I guess??
    <br />[move]1995 Monte Carlo Z34 FOR SALE!!!<br />[/move]<br />2002 Bonneville SLE<br />1995 S10 Reg Cab <br />1996 S10 X Cab

Thanks

rockers are easy to buy ... at least 2 places I buy parts from here list different body panels from my vehicle alone and rockers are on the list.

Visitors found this page by searching for:

how much to replace rocker panels

cost to replace rocker panels

cost to replace rocker panel

how much to fix rocker panels

Buick Century Rocker Panel rust