Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1

    Strange whining when accelerating

    There seems to be a high-pitched whining sound whenever I accelerate, both while driving and if I rev in neutral. It just started in the past few days. Tranny fluid is fine (filter/fluid changed at 80k or so, 110k now). Power steering fluid is fine, and it doesn't sound like that one. I've had one of those go bad before. Anyone have an idea? If I can't figure out I'm bringing it to my mech for diagnosis.
    "If at first you don't succeed, kick 'em again."

  2. #2

    Strange whining when accelerating

    water pump bearings? It would be a super cheap fix if you did it yourself...I know mine made a ton of noise.

    Also, if it does it only with the A/C off, its the compressor clutch
    2004 Chevrolet Colorado ZQ8 Extended Cab 3.5 I-5 5-speed<br />K&amp;N FIPK, Flowmaster 40 muffer...lots of power and really loud<br />1970 Plymouth Duster 360 4-speed - project<br />1994 Cutlass Supreme Convertible 3.4 DOHC -Dad&#39;s Toy

  3. #3

    Strange whining when accelerating

    The noise seems to occur whether A/C is on or off. I grows higher in pitch and volume when accelerating, and dies down to barely there when idling or at cruising speed.
    "If at first you don't succeed, kick 'em again."

  4. #4

    Strange whining when accelerating

    i had the same problem. pretty soon my charge light came on and after the alternator was replaced it stopped.
    -1991 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Coupe 3.1MPFI V6 Silver, UB3, DIC, 177,000K

  5. #5

    Strange whining when accelerating

    Quote Originally Posted by CutlassSL91
    i had the same problem. pretty soon my charge light came on and after the alternator was replaced it stopped.
    I replaced the alternator not long after I acquired the car, approx 2 years ago. Could it go that quickly?
    "If at first you don't succeed, kick 'em again."

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    2,176
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Strange whining when accelerating

    Quote Originally Posted by Vampyre73
    Quote Originally Posted by CutlassSL91
    i had the same problem. pretty soon my charge light came on and after the alternator was replaced it stopped.
    I replaced the alternator not long after I acquired the car, approx 2 years ago. Could it go that quickly?
    anything could go out pretty quick, defective, or somthing, but its most likley the altenator, my dads silverado made the same sound and it went out

  7. #7
    Lurker DiscoStudd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    St. Paul, MN
    Posts
    3,221
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Strange whining when accelerating

    The alternator could definitely go that quick, and they do (sometimes even after 7 or 8 months.)

    I'm in the "water pump" camp on this one. If the alternator bearings were failing, they'd seize up on you in a matter of minutes. The water pump will go a bit longer, but I don't recommend driving it anymore until you replace the pump.

    Just to be on the safe side, grab the largest, longest screwdriver you have, start the motor, set the blade of the screwdriver on the alternator's case, and put the end of the handle up to your ear. Now try the same thing on the water pump. For a reference, try it on the valve cover. Compare which sounds the loudest, and there's your culprit...

    Kevin B.
    2004 Chevy Impala 3400 V6 - Color: Victory Red

    1999 Chevy Tahoe 5.7 Vortec V8 - Color: You guessed it, Victory Red!

  8. #8

    Strange whining when accelerating

    Quote Originally Posted by DiscoStudd
    The alternator could definitely go that quick, and they do (sometimes even after 7 or 8 months.)

    I'm in the "water pump" camp on this one. If the alternator bearings were failing, they'd seize up on you in a matter of minutes. The water pump will go a bit longer, but I don't recommend driving it anymore until you replace the pump.

    Just to be on the safe side, grab the largest, longest screwdriver you have, start the motor, set the blade of the screwdriver on the alternator's case, and put the end of the handle up to your ear. Now try the same thing on the water pump. For a reference, try it on the valve cover. Compare which sounds the loudest, and there's your culprit...
    Disco, I tried the screwdriver trick, bt can't determine which is making more noise. They both sound pretty normal I would think, no obviously loud or different sounds. The whine sounds like it is coming from the serpentine belt area. I know I have to replace the belt soon, as its pretty worn. Could this possibly be the source? I was trying to wait until I picked up an underdrive pulley before changing the belt out.
    "If at first you don't succeed, kick 'em again."

  9. #9

    Strange whining when accelerating

    if the bearings in the belt tensioner are starting to go out, that would cause the same kind of noise you are describing. Try the screw-driver trick on that part too.

    The other thing it COULD be, is that noise is very typical of a drive-chain problem, often heard in Quad-4 engines, Saturn engines, and my old 2.8 (went through 3 extremely cheap timing sets, before I spent the money and got a GOOD set).

    --Dave.

  10. #10

    Strange whining when accelerating

    power steering pump. does it sound ike you have a supercharger in it when you accelerate harder?
    1992 white lumina euro3.4 - not running<br />1993 black lumina z34 - Intake, Magnaflow cat-back Exhaust, 72mm P&amp;P TB, FFP Pulley and Bone, 60* chip, front and rear STB - 15.1 @ 89mph

  11. #11

    Strange whining when accelerating

    Quote Originally Posted by havikx
    power steering pump. does it sound ike you have a supercharger in it when you accelerate harder?
    Sort of. The noise itself climbs in pitch and volume in direct correlation to the acceleration itself. I haven't had a chance to even think about it the past few days, but tommorrow morning I am going to find out what it is or take it to the mech for an answer.
    "If at first you don't succeed, kick 'em again."

  12. #12

    Strange whining when accelerating

    I'm still gonna bet that it's the belt tensioner - I'd really look into that one if I were you - there's a guy runnin' 'round here with a truck that sounds like the power steering is going bad, but it's actually the tensioner (after looking at it in detail I found the problem for him)

    --Dave.

Visitors found this page by searching for:

alternator whining noise when accelerating

impala whining noise when accelerating

whining when accelerating

what would causes a whining noise while accelerating

whining noise when accelerating chevy

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •