Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thanks

What happens when you neglect a 3.4L timing belt..........

I am so thankful, out of all the dumb things I've done in my life, not changing a timing belt, isn't one of them.

That's just plain scarey. :shock:
    1993 Cutlass Supreme

Thanks

Just like on your typical pushrod engine......the 3.4 has a timing chain that is driven by the crankshaft that drives the blank camshaft (does it have lobes on it?) which then drives the timing belt.

You see, GM is cheap....and they wanted to get this engine out soon. So instead of making an all new one....they bolted DOHC stuff to a pushrod engine. However, you still need to drive an oil pump (which the blank cam drives a blank distributor to drive the oil pump). So all they literally did was bolt a set of DOHC heads down and put a gear on the end of the cam. Nice, eh?

What is the recommended interval for changing you timing belt on this engine? 30k?
    -2007 Saturn Sky Redline M5<br />-2007 Chevrolet Silverado Classic 2500HD 6.0/A4<br />-2006 Chevrolet Impala SS<br />-1996 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 Hardtop M6<br />-1996 Chevrolet Beretta 3400<br />-ASE Master Technician with ASE Advanced Engine Performance and Under Car Certification

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Canada
    Just like on your typical pushrod engine......the 3.4 has a timing chain that is driven by the crankshaft that drives the blank camshaft (does it have lobes on it?) which then drives the timing belt.

You see, GM is cheap....and they wanted to get this engine out soon. So instead of making an all new one....they bolted DOHC stuff to a pushrod engine. However, you still need to drive an oil pump (which the blank cam drives a blank distributor to drive the oil pump). So all they literally did was bolt a set of DOHC heads down and put a gear on the end of the cam. Nice, eh?

What is the recommended interval for changing you timing belt on this engine? 30k?
    Recommended is 60k but most people don't change them till 80k.

About the Intermediate. It is blank except for the bearings on the block that it rides on, which makes me wonder how those even get oiled.

Some people have said that they have seen lobes on it and others haven't.

Also, 93GTP, do you think it could've broke because because you where so much force onto the intermediate shaft and not taking the bolt out even?

Tony.V
    1992 Lumina Z34 |3.4L 207ci DOHC 60 V6; Getrag 284|
    1994 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP |3.4L 207ci DOHC 60 V6; Hydra-Matic 4T60E|
    1999 Chrysler 300M |3.5L 214ci SOHC 60 V6; 42LE|

Thanks

No it definitely broke because of how the timing belt wedged up between the intermediate shaft sproket and the front cover of the engine (timing chain cover). You would not believe how badly it binded up.

About the intermediate shaft...it is a blank with no lobes. I have seen the one in my 93 GTP and last night the one in the Z34 motor as well. I have it on a stand and torn down to the block now. Today I'll get the base pan off and check out the bottom end. So far everything looks good aside from the intermediate shaft.

Does anyone have parts from a DOHC? I'm trying to find an intermediate shaft because I plan on rebuilding this engine.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,066 Times in 753 Posts

once I pul;l my engine out Ill probably part it out. I'll let you know when that happens, though probably not for a couple months
    '92 5 speed GTP - Mod list _____ '04 Grand Prix GT - Daily Driver

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 5speedz34
    About the Intermediate. It is blank except for the bearings on the block that it rides on, which makes me wonder how those even get oiled.
    It gets oiled the same way the cam does in pushrod versions: the block has oil galleries machined into it where the bearings are for the Intermediate Shaft. The bearings have holes in them that have to be in line with the galleries (obviously).

Holy shit! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Besides the lack of power, I now love my pushrod powered 2.8 even more! No shitty ass timing belt! yay!

And BTW, before I get flamed, I know the timing belts are prone to snap, and to change them every 60k, and its no all that hard. But I really dont want to get off my lazy ass, so I'll stay with pushrods for the time being.
    -Sean
    I think of the 2.8/3.1 as a housefly banging against a window pane. It keeps going non-stop or what seems like forever with very little power.
    regals have never done much for me. unless it is 88regallimited's regal that car kicks ass.

Visitors found this page by searching for:

2005 grand am timing belt

2004 chevy impala timing belt change

2004 chevy impala timing chain

2004 impala timing chain

2004 chevy impala timing belt