Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    799
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Overfilled transmission?

    I checked my transmission fluid the other day and noticed it was about 2 inches above the top line of the XXXXXXXX on the dipstick. So basically it was 2 inches too high.

    Is this really a bad thing? How many quarts overfilled would this translate to?

    I have noticed for a while that once my tranny gets hot, it shifts badly and erratically. Maybe this is the problem? Maybe the fluid is becoming to airated and bubbling etc.?

    It's an 89 Cutlass with the 4T60(440-T4).

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    RI / SC
    Posts
    3,957
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts

    Overfilled transmission?

    Did you check it when it was hot? or cold?
    -Tony
    gtsdurango.net
    '04 Dakota SLT Quad Cab 4x4
    ​ - teh gas guzzling daily
    '90 Turbo Grand Prix STE - Crane H260 Cam, Getrag 282 Swap, 1.6 Rockers, Intrax Front Lowering Springs, KYB GR2s, 34mm Sway Bar, CS FSTB, AWeb RSTB, ES Poly Sway Bar Bushings, Cooper Cobra 245/50s, Speed Primer, Hail Speed Dents, NFG Keyless Entry, Lots of Extra Wiring - Running once again! Sorta! Not really...
    '92 Gutless Supreme SL - RIP 5-10 | '90 Turbo Grand Prix - RIP 6-15-05

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    799
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Overfilled transmission?

    Hot, idling, after driving for 20 minutes or so...I'm aware of the proper process for checking it from reading the owners manual, Haynes, and this site etc.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    344
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Overfilled transmission?

    Yes, it is bad... you are correct, the fluid will aerate and trans pressure will go to shit, much like you had too low fluid... and it will help to burn up your clutches...

    I have over-filled a couple... My advice would just be to stick a hose down the dipstick tube and suck the fluid out... it'll keep you from having to re-do the pan gasket anyway...

    BTW, you may be 2 qts too full... depending on whether it's aerated when you check it or not...

    Mike

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    349
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Overfilled transmission?

    Yeah, get some of the fluid out of there before it airates bad enough to burst some seals.
    -Jon-
    <br />1995 Chevrolet Impala SS - Sickly Stock
    <br />2000 Chrysler Concorde 3.2 Auto, Pimp, 19 inch rims, lowered 2 inches, pearlized white paint, and 1400watt stereo.
    <br />

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    RI / SC
    Posts
    3,957
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts

    Overfilled transmission?

    Quote Originally Posted by gmrulz4u
    Hot, idling, after driving for 20 minutes or so...I'm aware of the proper process for checking it from reading the owners manual, Haynes, and this site etc.
    Sorry, didn't mean to make you out to be an idiot or anything just never know exactly how mechanics-literate people are
    -Tony
    gtsdurango.net
    '04 Dakota SLT Quad Cab 4x4
    ​ - teh gas guzzling daily
    '90 Turbo Grand Prix STE - Crane H260 Cam, Getrag 282 Swap, 1.6 Rockers, Intrax Front Lowering Springs, KYB GR2s, 34mm Sway Bar, CS FSTB, AWeb RSTB, ES Poly Sway Bar Bushings, Cooper Cobra 245/50s, Speed Primer, Hail Speed Dents, NFG Keyless Entry, Lots of Extra Wiring - Running once again! Sorta! Not really...
    '92 Gutless Supreme SL - RIP 5-10 | '90 Turbo Grand Prix - RIP 6-15-05

  7. #7
    SigEpCutlass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Arlington Heights, IL
    Posts
    4,019
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: Overfilled transmission?

    Quote Originally Posted by gmrulz4u
    I checked my transmission fluid the other day and noticed it was about 2 inches above the top line of the XXXXXXXX on the dipstick. So basically it was 2 inches too high.

    Is this really a bad thing? How many quarts overfilled would this translate to?

    I have noticed for a while that once my tranny gets hot, it shifts badly and erratically. Maybe this is the problem? Maybe the fluid is becoming to airated and bubbling etc.?

    It's an 89 Cutlass with the 4T60(440-T4).
    Two inches higher on the dipstick is a lot of fluid. I don't know if it's 2quarts like someone suggested, but I'd get that extra fluid out of there ASAP!
    - Mike K.
    '94 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme SL 4AT - For Sale
    '00 Subaru Outback AWD 5MT - Soccer Mom Pimpin'
    '04 Mazda Mazda6s 5AT - Wife's

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    344
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: Overfilled transmission?

    Quote Originally Posted by SigEpCutlass
    Quote Originally Posted by gmrulz4u
    I checked my transmission fluid the other day and noticed it was about 2 inches above the top line of the XXXXXXXX on the dipstick. So basically it was 2 inches too high.

    Is this really a bad thing? How many quarts overfilled would this translate to?

    I have noticed for a while that once my tranny gets hot, it shifts badly and erratically. Maybe this is the problem? Maybe the fluid is becoming to airated and bubbling etc.?

    It's an 89 Cutlass with the 4T60(440-T4).
    Two inches higher on the dipstick is a lot of fluid. I don't know if it's 2quarts like someone suggested, but I'd get that extra fluid out of there ASAP!
    It depends on whether he's up into the valve body or something at that point... When mine was in inch high after a fluid/filter/gasket change, it was a bit over a quart of fluid high. It has been my experience that most stuff on cars is 1" = 1 qt. just as a SWAG number...

    Mike

    Mike

Visitors found this page by searching for:

transmission fluid overfill symptoms

symptoms of overfilled transmission fluid

overfilled transmission

overfill transmission

symptoms of overfilled transmission

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •