Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Spark plugs On a 3.1 lumina Euro

got a buddy who wants to do some work on his lumi, does anyone have any tips on how take out the rear spark plugs?
    92' Supreme DohC, ram air, 2.5" exhaust, high flow cat, flowmasters,K&N Air Filter, Rust Free ahh.. Ghetto Fabulous

Thanks

Search the forums. Essentially you have to rock the engine forward by removing the two front engine mounts.
    1992 Cutlass Supreme S 4-Door 3.1L V6, 194k km, Raybestos Quietstops/ACDelco Platinum plugs/DIS

Oh so its kinda like the 3.4 doHc, it's not that bad I guess... his mechanic was tellin him he was going to pull his engine out...
    92' Supreme DohC, ram air, 2.5" exhaust, high flow cat, flowmasters,K&N Air Filter, Rust Free ahh.. Ghetto Fabulous

Thanks

use a ratchet strap, attach it to the engine lift point on top of the engine, and anchor it against a friend's car. Then, ratchet the strap to pull the engine forward.

You'll also have to move the coolant bottle out of the way to get the engine mounts up, as well as to get to the front plugs (on a 3.1).
    1990 Chevy Lumina Euro 3.1: FFP dogbones; K&N filter; FSTB; AWeb80 RSTB; Cluster swap; OEM 16" rims; Pioneer audio; tint; NEW paint!!
    2013 Dodge Charger SXT+: tint; OEM rear camera
    2008 Scion tC-RS 4.0 (#200/2300): tint; OEM lip spoiler; TRD FSTB; Radiator cover plate; LEDmod license plate lights; TRD backlit doorsills; auto-dim mirror; TRD rear sway bar; CryoRotors slotted rotors

Oh damn for real? .... and I thought I had it bad with the Cutt,

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Grand Moff Joseph
    You'll also have to move the coolant bottle out of the way to get the engine mounts up, as well as to get to the front plugs (on a 3.1)*.
    *on a 3.1 with the front mount coolant bottle anyway.

If you don't want to bother rocking it forward, you can remove the alternator in 5 minutes and you'll have plenty of space to get your arm back there.
    -Tony
    gtsdurango.net
    '04 Dakota SLT Quad Cab 4x4
    ​ - teh gas guzzling daily
    '90 Turbo Grand Prix STE - Crane H260 Cam, Getrag 282 Swap, 1.6 Rockers, Intrax Front Lowering Springs, KYB GR2s, 34mm Sway Bar, CS FSTB, AWeb RSTB, ES Poly Sway Bar Bushings, Cooper Cobra 245/50s, Speed Primer, Hail Speed Dents, NFG Keyless Entry, Lots of Extra Wiring - Running once again! Sorta! Not really...
    '92 Gutless Supreme SL - RIP 5-10 | '90 Turbo Grand Prix - RIP 6-15-05

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Never Satisfied
    Quote Originally Posted by GutlessSupreme

If you don't want to bother rocking it forward, you can remove the alternator in 5 minutes and you'll have plenty of space to get your arm back there.
    That's how I do it...
    Let's all laugh at the DOHC owners...
    -Tony
    gtsdurango.net
    '90 Turbo Grand Prix STE - Crane H260 Cam, Getrag 282 Swap, 1.6 Rockers, Intrax Front Lowering Springs, KYB GR2s, 34mm Sway Bar, CS FSTB, AWeb RSTB, ES Poly Sway Bar Bushings, Cooper Cobra 245/50s, Speed Primer, Hail Speed Dents, NFG Keyless Entry, Lots of Extra Wiring - Running once again! Sorta! Not really...

Thanks

That's how I do it...
    Even I can laugh since mine take 15 minutes to change without rocking engine or taking anything off.
    2008 Pontiac G8 GT - Roto-fab Intake, Superchips Cortex tune, Solo Axle-back Exhaust

Forum Moderator digitaloutsider's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sl3196
    Even I can laugh since mine take 15 minutes to change without rocking engine or taking anything off.
    !!!!!!

I almost had an orgasm when I changed my plugs in 10 minutes. No rocking, no moving, no removal.. NOTHING.

2006 Nissan Altima SE-R 3.5L 214ci VQ35DE DOHC 60 V6 | 6MT
    Raclingline HFPCs and Y-pipe, NWP VIAS delete, Goodridge SS brake lines, removed airbox snorkel, deburgered.

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited 5.9L 360ci Magnum Pushrod 90 V8 | 46RE | NV249
    Flowmaster 50 SUV muffler, 180 t-stat, CAI.

1990 Pontiac Turbo Grand Prix 3.1L 191ci Turbocharged 60 V6 | 4T60-HD
    Perpetually broken.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by digitaloutsider
    Quote Originally Posted by sl3196
    !!!!!!

I almost had an orgasm when I changed my plugs in 10 minutes. No rocking, no moving, no removal.. NOTHING.
    Must be nice having a hood the size of California
    -Tony
    gtsdurango.net

It takes like 3min to rock the engine forward and back, we're not dismantling the car here. In just the time it takes you to r&r the alt. I'll have then entire job done.
    &#39;90+ Base Lumina 4DR,&nbsp;3.4L DOHC/5-SPEED,Loaded,&nbsp;Grey w/ Grey leather. <br />Nothing is stock, but it&#39;s all factory parts! One of a Kind.<br /><br />&#39;93 Taurus SHO, YAMAHA 3.0L DOHC/5-SPEED, Fully Loaded, Dk. Green w\Black leather.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tigershark
    Oh so its kinda like the 3.4 doHc

it's NOTHING like the DOHC!
    BRAD<br /><br />1991 Chevrolet Lumina Z34 sedan | 3.1L LH0/4T60 | 1 of 4<br />W-Body.com - Great Lakes

Thanks

pop the alternator off and do it. I thought It was the easiest solution when I did it.

---The Cavalry---| 1975 Laguna | 1977 Chevelle | 1977 Monte Carlo |1990 Lumina | 1996 Lumina | 1997 Lumina | 1999 Lumina LS | 1999 Monte Carlo Z34 | 1999 Regal GSE | 2009 Malibu LT | 2013 Malibu LS | It's a sickness...

Thanks

That's how I do it...
    Ah... be quiet. It isn't that hard to do. Just cut some notches in the metal underneath the weather stripping, and use about 1 billion extensions and it works fine.
    Chris D.-
    '02 Buick Century- Wife's
    2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee- Company Car/DD

I didn't have to move anything to change the plugs on the 92 GP SE 3.1.
    2 plus 2 rarely equals 4, except on paper.

Visitors found this page by searching for:

1997 lumina spark plugs

how to change spark plugs on a 1997 chevy Lumina

1996 lumina spark plug change

how to change rear spark plugs 1991 chevy lumina

how to change back spark plugs in 3.1 grand prix