Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Tranny Fluid in Power Steering??

Hey everyone,

I was at Shitty Lube yesterday and while they were changing my oil they 'noticed that my PS fluid was a tad low'. They topped it up for me (FOR TWO FREAKIN DOLLARS) and i left... today I noticed my PS getting a little bit heavier and I opened up my PS and it smelled like burnt tranny fluid in there. I'm thinking maybe those goons messed up. What do you think? Could tranny fluid destroy my PS pump?

Thanks everyone!

YK
    OldsmoBeast <br />Looking for my next car!<br />1999 Yamaha R6 -&gt; Daily Driver (for now)<br />2007 Honda CBR Fireblade -&gt; Sold<br />2004 Volvo S60R GT AWD -&gt; Parting out<br />1997 Cutlass Supreme Coupe 3100 -&gt; Sold

Thanks

supposedly some kinds of tranny fluid are alright to use.. NOT Dexron III though. I wouldn't do it, whatever the case though.

And I hate when they do that.. notice somethings low and charge you out the ass for it (relatively speaking).
    -Tony
    gtsdurango.net
    '04 Dakota SLT Quad Cab 4x4
    ​ - teh gas guzzling daily
    '90 Turbo Grand Prix STE - Crane H260 Cam, Getrag 282 Swap, 1.6 Rockers, Intrax Front Lowering Springs, KYB GR2s, 34mm Sway Bar, CS FSTB, AWeb RSTB, ES Poly Sway Bar Bushings, Cooper Cobra 245/50s, Speed Primer, Hail Speed Dents, NFG Keyless Entry, Lots of Extra Wiring - Running once again! Sorta! Not really...
    '92 Gutless Supreme SL - RIP 5-10 | '90 Turbo Grand Prix - RIP 6-15-05

Thanks

yeah...some tranny fluids WILL work...but, i'd just use power steering fluid myself...and, thats BS that they charge extra to top off fluids...sounds like a scam...we top everything off for free where i work!!...
    -Terry K.

'03 Grand Prix GTP -
    A Couple Mods - 240WHP 333WTQ
    '05 Cobalt-
    5 Speed - Daily Driver/Beater

Thanks

I've heard that you could, in a pinch, use straight 30w motor oil in the power steering system. PS fluid is petroleum based, btw.

Kevin B.
    2004 Chevy Impala 3400 V6 - Color: Victory Red

1999 Chevy Tahoe 5.7 Vortec V8 - Color: You guessed it, Victory Red!

I've used dex3 in a power steering system a while back, never had any adverse effects. At the same time your PS fluid may need to be flushed. My '95's fluid smelled bad and was BLACK. Did a flush and no issues.
    Yeah, it's still on the road. 219,982 mi

Thanks

IIRC, I've seen a few imports that use Dex III. I found it to be kinda wierd. Correct Me if I'm Wrong.
    1989 Buick Regal GS Four Seater | 3.1L&nbsp; 440T4 |&nbsp; No Longer with a Black hood * For Sale come spring? *<br />1994 Chevy Silverado Z71 | 5.7 L&nbsp; 4L60 - E | 1 of a few<br />2000 Buick Regal LS | 3800 Series II&nbsp; 4T65-E| 1 of Many

Well after my exams are over (Wednesday - Friday), I'm going on a skiing trip with my brother....4 hours each way....and I'm driving... I might borrow my mom's car but chances are I'm driving the CS...so hopefully whatever it is won't be a huge problem, but maybe on Friday afternoon I should flush my PS system? Whats involved? how's it done?

Thanks again,

YK
    OldsmoBeast <br />Looking for my next car!<br />1999 Yamaha R6 -&gt; Daily Driver (for now)<br />2007 Honda CBR Fireblade -&gt; Sold<br />2004 Volvo S60R GT AWD -&gt; Parting out<br />1997 Cutlass Supreme Coupe 3100 -&gt; Sold

Thanks

Buy a couple quarts of PS fluid. Use a turkey baster or other suctioning device to remove PS fluid from reservoir. Fill with new PS fluid out of bottle. Drive around for a day, repeat. Drive for another day, repeat. That should take care of most of the fluid.

PS fluid is cheap, we can get it here for less than $2/quart.
    1992 Cutlass Supreme S 4-Door 3.1L V6, 218k km, Raybestos Quietstops/ACDelco Platinum plugs/DIS/KYB Rear Struts/Moog K6544 monoleaf pads

Thanks

Nissans use dex 3 for p/s fluid. Maybe toyotas too. Hondas use a special honda p/s fluid which is undoubtably more expensive, but they whine if you don't use it.
    as for using a different trans fluid for the P/S. All fords since about 87 have used Type FA trans fluid in the P/S. I'm sure many things would work without adverse affects, but on a GM I'd use good ol' regular ass power steering fluid
    -David
    13 GMC Terrain Denali
    05 Chevrolet Impala SS
    94 Honda VF750 Magna
    91 Chevrolet S10

Quote Originally Posted by pitzel
    Buy a couple quarts of PS fluid. Use a turkey baster or other suctioning device to remove PS fluid from reservoir. Fill with new PS fluid out of bottle. Drive around for a day, repeat. Drive for another day, repeat. That should take care of most of the fluid.

PS fluid is cheap, we can get it here for less than $2/quart.
    Cool, thanks.

As for the turkey baster... I don't know how great the turkey will come out after doing that... but I do luckily have a huge farm-type suctioning thingy...can't remember what its called but its very useful for that type of thing...

Hopefully after i'm done stressing over exams I'll get this all done and let everyone know how it goes.

Thanks!

YK

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoStudd
    [size=18px]I've heard that you could, in a pinch, use straight 30w motor oil [/size]in the power steering system. PS fluid is petroleum based, btw.
    definatly not... 30w is much too thick of oil to use... It would be better to use a hydrolic oil.... PS fluid and Tranny fluid are pretty much the same oil... tranny fluid has a seal sweal agent in there, also has the odvious red color...

DiscoStudd wrote:
    I've heard that you could, in a pinch, use straight 30w motor oil in the power steering system. PS fluid is petroleum based, btw.

definatly not... 30w is much too thick of oil to use... It would be better to use a hydrolic oil.... PS fluid and Tranny fluid are pretty much the same oil... tranny fluid has a seal sweal agent in there, also has the odvious red color...

I work in the lab and can assure everyone this is pretty much true. PS Fluid and Tranny Fluid are both hydraulic fluids. There is a small amount of seal sweller and viscosity improver in the Tranny Fluid as well as some red dye. The PS Fluid is generally brown with no dye or additives.

I've always used Dexron in my PS systems without any problems.

Never ever put Motor Oil in there.

Thanks

Actually I remember hearing about using the 30 weight oil as a pseudo "cure" for the "morning stiffness" that mid 80's FWD GM's had.

As far as flushing goes, definitely suck out all the old fluid from the reservoir (I use a squirt bottle, works great) and refill. Instead of repeating this several times, just disconnect the low pressure return hose from the reservoir (it's the one held on with a hose clamp) and stick it in a container large enough to catch a couple of quarts of fluid. Start the motor and continue to add new fluid into the reservoir as the old stuff is pumped out and into your container. After going through a few bottles of PS fluid, put the hose back on, top off the reservoir, and away you go...

Kevin B.
    2004 Chevy Impala 3400 V6 - Color: Victory Red

1999 Chevy Tahoe 5.7 Vortec V8 - Color: You guessed it, Victory Red!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bossman429
    ..........Hondas use a special honda p/s fluid which is undoubtably more expensive, but they whine if you don't use it.....
    FYI: They also start to leak if non-Honda fluid is used.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by paulo57509
    Quote Originally Posted by Bossman429
    ..........Hondas use a special honda p/s fluid which is undoubtably more expensive, but they whine if you don't use it.....
    FYI: They also start to leak if non-Honda fluid is used.
    Sounds like Chryler's newest A604 model and their lovely ATF-4 fluid.. (or is it ATF-5?) Stuff's damn expensive, I know that much!
    -Tony
    gtsdurango.net
    '04 Dakota SLT Quad Cab 4x4
    ​ - teh gas guzzling daily
    '90 Turbo Grand Prix STE - Crane H260 Cam, Getrag 282 Swap, 1.6 Rockers, Intrax Front Lowering Springs, KYB GR2s, 34mm Sway Bar, CS FSTB, AWeb RSTB, ES Poly Sway Bar Bushings, Cooper Cobra 245/50s, Speed Primer, Hail Speed Dents, NFG Keyless Entry, Lots of Extra Wiring - Running once again! Sorta! Not really...
    '92 Gutless Supreme SL - RIP 5-10 | '90 Turbo Grand Prix - RIP 6-15-05

Visitors found this page by searching for:

2000 chevy silverado power steering fluid

2003 silverado power steering fluid

tranny fluid in power steering

2004 silverado power steering fluid

2003 impala power steering fluid