Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: MAP sensor

  1. #1

    MAP sensor

    hello,
    what are the symptoms of a worn out\broken MAP sensor (Manifold Absolute pressure)
    What does the MAP sensor do with performance and what happens if it isn't working correctly?

    thanks.

    SHaun
    1992 Pontiac Grand Prix STE 3.4 DOHC

  2. #2
    Robby1870's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    6,742
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    MAP sensor

    The MAP sensor sends a voltage to the ECM based on the pressure in the manifold and the ECM interprets the voltage and uses that to tell the injectors how long to stay open/how much fuel to dump in. In closed loop, the ECM also uses the 02 sensor reading to help with rich/lean. If the MAP is broken you will get a loss in power, stumbling and it wont want to rev up at all.
    Robby Whitesell
    2006 Pontiac G6 GT - 3500 V6

    1985 Toyota Pickup DLX - 2WD - 2.4L I4

  3. #3

    MAP sensor

    Well I think my MAP is "worn out" as my car stumbles very badly at Low RPM.
    1992 Pontiac Grand Prix STE 3.4 DOHC

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    2,627
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    MAP sensor

    Quote Originally Posted by robby1870
    The MAP sensor sends a voltage to the ECM based on the pressure in the manifold and the ECM interprets the voltage and uses that to tell the injectors how long to stay open/how much fuel to dump in. In closed loop, the ECM also uses the 02 sensor reading to help with rich/lean. If the MAP is broken you will get a loss in power, stumbling and it wont want to rev up at all.
    It actually reads vacuum, not pressure.

    And the ECM uses that along with many other sensors, liek the TPS, IAC, IAT, etc.

  5. #5

    MAP sensor

    how do I know if I need to replace my MAP?
    IS there any way to test it?
    My car runs very poor at low RPM and idles very rough.
    1992 Pontiac Grand Prix STE 3.4 DOHC

  6. #6
    Robby1870's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    6,742
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    MAP sensor

    Quote Originally Posted by gpse_97
    how do I know if I need to replace my MAP?
    IS there any way to test it?
    My car runs very poor at low RPM and idles very rough.
    If it only messes up at idle, I'd say your IAC is on its way out. If the MAP was out, you'd notice a total power loss across the whole rpm band. Or, you may just need to reset the idle
    Robby Whitesell
    2006 Pontiac G6 GT - 3500 V6

    1985 Toyota Pickup DLX - 2WD - 2.4L I4

  7. #7

    MAP sensor

    Quote Originally Posted by robby1870
    Quote Originally Posted by gpse_97
    how do I know if I need to replace my MAP?
    IS there any way to test it?
    My car runs very poor at low RPM and idles very rough.
    If it only messes up at idle, I'd say your IAC is on its way out. If the MAP was out, you'd notice a total power loss across the whole rpm band. Or, you may just need to reset the idle
    Well any low RPM (anything below 2500RPM) my car runs like crap, misfires bad. Above 3000RPM its fine, I think my ICM is dead or Coils.
    1992 Pontiac Grand Prix STE 3.4 DOHC

  8. #8
    Robby1870's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    6,742
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    MAP sensor

    Thats a good thought too
    Robby Whitesell
    2006 Pontiac G6 GT - 3500 V6

    1985 Toyota Pickup DLX - 2WD - 2.4L I4

Visitors found this page by searching for:

bad map sensor symptoms 2004 grand prix

2004 grand prix map sensor

map sensor grand prix

http:www.w-body.comshowthread.php11269-MAP-sensor

what happens if my map sensor is broken

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •