Ok, first the intro...the day before my car's inspection I'm coming up to a traffic light...it turns yellow...go through or stop? Well, I decided to stop a little to late and hit the irons hard...so hard the passenger's rear brake line, which had a good amount of rust on it, gave up the Holy Ghost. She did lock the brakes, but I got a loud whistle and the pedal dropped to the floor. I idled the car over to the parking lot and parked it. I hit the pedal a few times and took a peak under the car...it's in the back and bleeding good.. Good enough, time for a tow home...
Two months later, time to fix the thing. Now, according to the parts manual, the line is all one part...I take a quick look and it appears that way, so I purchase a small section of line (51") and get ready to splice the line. Below are some of the parts you need. (FYI the system is split up into smaller parts).
The most notable thing here is the flaring kit. Since female flare fittings are kinda hard to come by, I purchased a small section of brake line and will use one of its fittings and a coupling, or here labeled "union" to connect them. I also got a small tubing cutter since the space I'm working in is kinda small.
Ok, here is the cut old brake line. I removed the portion that connects to the rubber hose to take to the store with me to make sure I've got the correct threads.
Ok...new line curved to miss any sharp edges...the line runs right along the spare tire well where the old line ran over the rear axle assembly. Since it's hard to get up there, not to mention how badly rusted everything is, I prefer to take this route.
We've moved from under the car to the driver's side. Both rear brake lines come up the driver's side. The damage to my passenger side line was over the middle of the car, so this portion of the line is still good. You can see the new line, so I'll make a cut on the old line to match.
Ok...Flaring time. First things first PUT ON THE FITTING!!! I can't remember how many stories I've heard about great flares but they forgot the fitting. Now, usually you'd use a double flare for brake lines, but the cheap ass tool store only had single flare tools...so we'll go with that.
For those of you who have never flared a line before, let me describe it. You clamp the line in the tool noted in the first picture (large silver bars with holes and screws on either end). My brake lines are 3/16", so I used that slot. You clamp the bars on the line, then attach the red vice-like press to the bar and crank down on the line. This squeezes the end of the line and causes it to flare to 45 degrees. You'll want to practice some on some spare line. Then undo everything and you're set. A double flare is more involved, but we'll save that for when this one fails and I have to redo the whole dam thing...
Above is the flared line...that I had put the fitting on. I attached the "union", then screwed in the new line...and that's it. Make sure everything is tight and bleed the system. No thread sealant is needed because technically the line should be sealed. If fluid gets to the treads, you're dead anway. For bleeding the system, you'll need to follow the service manual for that, I'm hoping to get away with just doing the calipers, but I'm sure the ABS system will want some bleeding to as the system drained itself over that two month period it was sitting out back in the grass.
I'll save that for tomorrow.
Original content is at http://members.aol.com/regal231/lines.htm